SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

NikTam

CML TradeMachine Trade Ideas

1,717 posts in this topic

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:37 AM, Manish71 said:

Another trade idea from CML. The problem I have found with these trades is that they are theta negative and the short duration of the trade (7 days in this case) makes it very difficult to get a profit unless the stock moves a lot.

They actually have some pretty good scanners which can used to find a variety of trading setups including theta positive trades

On 1/25/2019 at 9:13 PM, lrfsdad said:

Took the GOOGL trade they sent out earlier in the week.  Almost hit -40%, but didn't.  Back to even now.  Any one else take?

All their back testing is during low volatility times during last few years. So we have to see how the trade ideas work out during high vol regime.

On 1/25/2019 at 9:43 AM, lrfsdad said:

Took the GOOGL trade they sent out earlier in the week.  Almost hit -40%, but didn't.  Back to even now.  Any one else take?

out +40%.  No doubt aapl post earnings performance probably helped. 

AAPL still holding with 300%+.....

Rather than wait for the end of the day as they suggest, I jumped the gun and got in at $161.50 in the morning.

I might take 20% off the table, but will hold the rest longer until I get a clear sell signal.

I was already long leading up to earnings but sold at the end of the day ( right before earnings) as I never take the earnings risk.

Then got right back in.

Edited by cuegis

To members who use the CMLViz on regularly, are the limitations of this service the following? 1) reliance on EOD prices, not picking up intra-day prices, 2) not being able to constrain the backtests to specified vol regimes (e.g. see how XYZ strategy fared when VIX was above 20).

How often do you trade their weekly recommendations? How often do you set up trades based on your own CML backtesting?

From what I have gathered so far, the service is meant to be a backtesting tool. In this thread in the past; some members said they had left CMLViz, and some others said they like it a lot. I am trying to get a few opinions. I may end up testing the service at least for a while but still would welcome if there are pointers to be aware of.

Wow, really depressed about CMLviz after signing up and looking at some basics ... found this:

They have dumped VXX completely ... can't back test one of the most important and interesting symbols.

They can't even get a 6-month back test of SPY stock right ... prices and dividends are wrong.

They don't exercise calls for ex-dividend, even if it's a 100% lock that they would be exercised ... any back tests involving these calls will be badly wrong (show a large loss on the calls that would not be experienced in real trading, unless the long was dumb enough to not exercise).

It's impossible to back test a combo/conversion/synthetic (no capability for enforcing put strike = call strike or call strike = put strike) so can't back test a big range of interesting strategies ... can't even back test boxes!

They don't have dynamic hedging capability ... so 90%+ of interesting back tests are impossible.

There is no filter to specify trades around ex-dividend dates ... lots of interesting stuff there, but impossible with CMLviz.

This thing is a toy, not a real options back test engine ...

29 minutes ago, trader212 said:

Wow, really depressed about CMLviz after signing up and looking at some basics ... found this:

They have dumped VXX completely ... can't back test one of the most important and interesting symbols.

They can't even get a 6-month back test of SPY stock right ... prices and dividends are wrong.

They don't exercise calls for ex-dividend, even if it's a 100% lock that they would be exercised ... any back tests involving these calls will be badly wrong (show a large loss on the calls that would not be experienced in real trading, unless the long was dumb enough to not exercise).

It's impossible to back test a combo/conversion/synthetic (no capability for enforcing put strike = call strike or call strike = put strike) so can't back test a big range of interesting strategies ... can't even back test boxes!

They don't have dynamic hedging capability ... so 90%+ of interesting back tests are impossible.

There is no filter to specify trades around ex-dividend dates ... lots of interesting stuff there, but impossible with CMLviz.

This thing is a toy, not a real options back test engine ...

CMLviz has thousands of happy customers. This topic alone has over 1,700 posts, where members shared dozens winning trades based on the backtesting.

I'm pretty sure it's more than just a toy.

P.S. VXX has been replaced with VXXB, you can do full backtesting of VXXB. 

• Upvote 1

Noticed this thread. Criticism appearing that the back tests are based on success in bull markets so recommendations are biased long.

They have quite a bit of content where they test strategies in the 2007-2009 period, the grandaddy of recessions and bear markets of US history. Then there's the tech bubble and bear of 2000, and the covid sell off of 2020. A significant drawdown of 2018. The period 2000 - 2021 has provided a lab for a broad range of investing environments. So there's plenty of periods to test strategies that run into the power saw of bear markets.

It hasn't been all roses.

CML doesn't lend itself to complicated Rube Goldberg contraptions. It leans toward the simple side. But in my investing experience, some of the very best, most endurable strategies are quite simple (not SMA simple, that's not what I'm talking about.) They can be expressed with a few lines of code.

I'm running a strategy (pure equity, no options) that combines two simple metrics and has doubled the S&P for 25 years and it's showing no signs of fatigue. Simplicity can be a good thing, indeed. The caveat of course is it has to be the right kind of simple. Finding the right simple is the hard part.

Edited by tod

I'm running a strategy (pure equity, no options) that combines two simple metrics and has doubled the S&P for 25 years and it's showing no signs of fatigue

Good points about CML @tod Interested in the above comment.  That strategy sounds exceptional. Well done. Can you share the basics. Many Thanks in advance.

Edited by mccoyb53
clarification

I read some very interesting concepts about this in a book called Skip the Dip. The idea is to have a number of complementary simple auto-trading strategies. For instance, you can have:

• long only momentum trend following strategy with a basket of stocks that tend to move a lot, and exits when it loses momentum. This tends to have low win rate but very good expectancy because they capture big moves. It loses on choppy markets and skips downturns. When a couple of names rip, it covers the tiny losses of the others that are chopping. Works well with shares.
  • mean reversion strategy with very selective criteria on a basket of stocks. This one has a high win rate but makes small moves. Pads the equity curve. This tends to work best with credit put spreads but can be done with stocks.
  • long volatility strategy, which loses most of the time in a tiny drift and when VIX gets crazy, it makes outsized gains when the other two above are not trading as the entry conditions are not being met. This can be done with VXX or UVXY shares.

You could add here some broken wing butterflies for income when certain technical criteria are met, to pad the equity curve a bit more.

After very promising backtesting results, I am now setting up the algos in paper trading, and then move into trading 1 share per ticker on signal. I am curious as to any insights from @tod

Edited by Bullfighter
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bullfighter said:

I read some very interesting concepts about this in a book called Skip the Dip. The idea is to have a number of complementary simple auto-trading strategies. For instance, you can have:

• long only momentum trend following strategy with a basket of stocks that tend to move a lot, and exits when it loses momentum. This tends to have low win rate but very good expectancy because they capture big moves. It loses on choppy markets and skips downturns. When a couple of names rip, it covers the tiny losses of the others that are chopping. Works well with shares.
  • mean reversion strategy with very selective criteria on a basket of stocks. This one has a high win rate but makes small moves. Pads the equity curve. This tends to work best with credit put spreads but can be done with stocks.
  • long volatility strategy, which loses most of the time in a tiny drift and when VIX gets crazy, it makes outsized gains when the other two above are not trading as the entry conditions are not being met. This can be done with VXX or UVXY shares.

You could add here some broken wing butterflies for income when certain technical criteria are met, to pad the equity curve a bit more.

After very promising backtesting results, I am now setting up the algos in paper trading, and then move into trading 1 share per ticker on signal. I am curious as to any insights from @tod

@Bullfighter if you are looking for auto-trading, you should check out the auto trading platform of Option Alpha.

11 hours ago, Manish71 said:

@Bullfighter if you are looking for auto-trading, you should check out the auto trading platform of Option Alpha.

Yes, I am on their waitlist for a year now. I followed up with them and it's going to take a few months before general availability. In any case, I am doing autotrading for free with Tradestation. It is very economical to rent a Windows machine in Amazon Web Services and run the autotrading fromt there. I am also looking into Quantconnect. They have APIs with Tradier and Interactive brokers and their servers are hosted in Equinix and have very reasonable prices.

@Bullfighter and @mccoyb53

I came upon the system I mentioned while researching sector rotation strategies. The web is full of references to how sector rotation beats the S&P. The same set of papers are dragged out to support this ad nauseum. One by Mebane Faber always gets a mention (I like Mebane Faber), but there's a dozen others; Asness (I like Asness), etc.

I worked for sometime to validate this using the Spyder sector ETFs . I could never show the sector rotation strategy exceeded S&P returns in the long term. Unless they consider occasional returns in excess of 0.1% as outperformance. I could show spurts of outperformance, followed by underperformance, to ultimately end in the same place as simply owning SPY over a 20 year period.

But with the code for testing that (I use R), I started playing around with other things. And I stumbled onto a set of parameters in unrelated "financial toolkits"  that provided a novel entry and exit trigger; and I built a variant rotation scheme that did outperform SPY in a robust manner.

I've found no reference to my happenstance discovery in system strategies, so I'm holding that secret sauce close to the vest for now.  I don't mean to be a tease about this. I brought it up to emphasize the best systems are often simple. But finding them can take years and proves devilishly hard. I spent several hundred hours on what now I run with a few dozen lines of code. Most of that for grabbing data, compiling output. The actual 'secret sauce' is less than 50 lines of code. BTW, this system is not scalable beyond a 7 figure account, which may explain why it lives under the radar.

My systems building philosophy is strongly influenced by a famous math theorem that states: for any continuous curve (any financial time series will do, drawn as a line chart), there exists a polynomial of finite degree that will match the curve to arbitrary precision.

This theorem establishes the downfall of 99% of back testing efforts. A historic timeseries is a fixed, continuous curve. So the theorem above guarantees that with enough indicators and parameter adjustments, you can build a system that matches that time series dot for dot. 

So most back testing efforts are often futile exercises of crafting the (metaphorical) polynomial that matches the data curve they're testing on. The more indicators you're using, the greater the probability you're just building the equivalent of a curve matching polynomial, which holds true only for that one, fixed time series.

As soon as I'm using more than 4 inputs (which is two to many), I get that "uh-oh" feeling.

Of course, a complicated system that works on an in-sample set and proves robust on out-of-sample, or on time series from other classes that weren't used to develop the back test, is legitimate. So simple is not a requirement. But the combination of simplicity with robustness is a beautiful thing. I find CMLViz has some properties like that, so I wanted to defend it a bit.

• Like 2

@tod I totally understand you willing to keep that alpha you found private.

Taylor's theorem is the one you are referring to, and the problem is called overfitting. This why those using complex deep-learning algorithms use strategies to dumb the neural network's learnings, so they work out of sample This is also why I am wary of optimization, Monte-Carlo and walk forward analysis, if used to tune up. What I like use optimization for is to find the range of parameters where the strategy works best and worst, not to tune it up, but to understand its limitations. I also like to break it, using it with tickers and timeframes that I know their behavior, to see how the strategy behaves in those situations, as a way to know what to expect, and how to size it. If I can break the strategy easily, I can dismiss it and move on to something else. If it only works with a very specific, single parameter or narrow range, then I dismiss it because it will not work out of sample. It it is hard to break and the parameter range is wide, then we are onto something.

For instance, I know that a ticker like GRPN is going to have a massive loss, NVDA or TSLA are going to be rockets, /BTC is going to have massive swings, GLD is going to chop a lot, then make a big move, etc. And I know when the market has flash crashes, continued bear markets, and so on. If I know the drawdown in a very bad scenario, I can size the allocation to that strategy. If I have a strategy that loses very little or even makes some on GRPN, but still makes money on the famous ones and others like 

For trend momentum strategies, there's a lot written about selecting stocks with a big move history on the leading pack within the leading sector. You will miss an early entry and therefore bragging rights, but you jump in to a confirmed trend that may continue 35% of the time, and when if does, you make enough to compensate the small loses of the other 65% of times the trend died.

• Thanks 1

Hello all,

I notice this thread hasn't been touched in years. I wanted to reach out and hear some current/updated thoughts on the CML TradeMachine software. Is anyone still using it? Do you like it? Hate it? Any opinions appreciated, thanks!

Edited by J10

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kim
      Before ever entering a trade, we need a plan. For example, we want to know whether we should avoid earnings, or trade with earnings. Knowing where to place a stop loss, and even a limit gain. Knowing which strike to trade. Knowing whether to trade the monthly or weekly options.

But it even goes further – even if we know which direction we think the stock will go – do we sell puts or sell a put spread? Do we buy calls or a call spread? Should we be net owners or sellers of volatility? Has there been measurable edge in the trade in the past, or not?

This is how people profit from the option market — it’s preparation, not luck.

All of these questions were designed to be answered with the CMLviz Trade Machine, which is an option back-tester created by Capital Market Laboratories (CML). I have been in the same circle as this company’s founder for years.

CML is in fact a member of the famed Thomson First Call roster. Their research sits side-by-side with Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Barclays and the rest of the bulge bracket banks, but they have a different goal: To break the information asymmetry that exists between the top 0.1% and the rest.

To learn more about the product, you can tap on the link below. You will see a 4- minute video demonstration. I think, for many of you, it will become a valuable tool to supplement your trading and the analysis that Steady Options provides.

Tap Here to Watch the Video and Sign Up

P.S. Our members know that I rarely promote other products. But this one really got me excited. I encourage you to give it a try. They plan tons of additional functionality in the upcoming months, including custom strategies to trade around earnings which can be a great benefit for us.

CMLviz Trade Machine is constantly adding new features, and the price will be increasing as new features are added. Those who sign up are grandfathered at the price they signed up even as the prices increase.
    • By Kim
      Couple of weeks ago, the CML published an article The Volatility Option Trade After Earnings in PayPal Holdings Inc.

The setup was:

"The week following PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ:PYPL) has had one fairly consistent pattern -- volatility. If we take a myopic view after looking at the last three-years and focus on the last six-months, that pattern is yet more decisive. Irrespective of whether the earnings move was large or small, if we tested waiting one-day after earnings and then holding a long out of the money (40 delta) strangle for one-week (using two-week options), the results were quite strong. This trade opens one-day after earnings were announced to try to find a stock that moves a lot after the earnings announcement."

If we bought the out-of-the-money strangle in PayPal Holdings Inc (NASDAQ:PYPL) over the last three-years but only held it after earnings we get these results: 

PYPL
      Long out-of-the-money strangle   % Wins: 64%   Wins: 7   Losses: 4   % Return:  174%  Tap Here to See the Back-test

The backtest also defines very clear rules for the trade:

* Open the long out-of-the-money (40 delta) strangle one-calendar day after earnings.
      * Close the strangle 7 calendar days after earnings. 
      * Use the options closest to 14 days from expiration (but more than 7 days). 

On July 25, I posted the link to the PYPL potential trade on the forum:

On the next day I posted my entry:

Please note that this trade didn't make it into the official model portfolio due to higher potential risk - hence I mentioned "small allocation only".

The next day, some of the members started posting their exit prices:

I was out a day later for 27% gain:

Some members did even better:

And finally an interesting comment from another member:

Those are real trades, from real traders, posted in real time. 

Attention tastytrade: Buying premium does work - you just need to know how to do it.

This is how people profit from the option market. It's not guessing or speculation. Take a reasonable idea or hypothesis, use a rationale system to help overcome cognitive biases, and test it. Tap the link below to learn more: 

Tap Here to See the Tools at Work 

When you combine the best options trading community with the best backtester, the results are unbeatable.

Related articles:
      Lessons From Facebook Earnings Disaster The Incredible Option Trade In VXX Post Earnings Option Trade In Facebook Why We Sell Our Straddles Before Earnings Earnings Momentum Trading In Google
    • By Ophir Gottlieb
      How to Trade Options Before Earnings in Fabrinet (NYSE:FN)

How to Trade Options Before Earnings in Fabrinet (NYSE:FN)
      Date Published: 2017-06-28 

This article can be seen in a video or as a full written article below the video. 

PREFACE 
      Trading options in Fabrinet (NYSE:FN) using a short window before earnings are released has been a staggering winner over the last several years. 

This is it -- this is how people profit from the option market. Identifying strategies that are tightly risk controlled, take no stock direction risk and no earnings risk. Strategies that are immune from a bull or bear market. 

STORY 
      Everyone knows that the day of an earnings announcement is a risky event for a stock. But the question every option trader, whether professional or amateur, has long asked is if there is a way to profit from this known implied volatility rise. It turns out, that over the long-run, for stocks with certain tendencies, the answer is actually, yes. 
        Yes, there is a systematic way to trade this repeating phenomenon, without making a bet on earnings or stock direction.

THE SET UP 
      What a trader wants to do is to see the results of buying an at the money straddle a couple of weeks before earnings, and then sell that straddle just before earnings. Here is the setup: 

We are testing opening the position 14 days before earnings and then closing the position 1 day before earnings. This is not making any earnings bet. This is not making any stock direction bet. 

Once we apply that simple rule to our back-test, we run it on an at-the-money straddle: 

RETURNS 
      If we did this long at-the-money straddle in Fabrinet (NYSE:FN) over the last three-years but only held it before earnings we get these results: 

Click here to see the back-test live

That's a 162% return over the last three-years, with 9 winning trades and 3 losing trades. But, let's take a step toward risk reduction before we move forward. 

While we are looking at this same trade, let's also set a rule that if at any point in the two-week period the straddle loses 25% of its value, we just close it and wait for the next pre-earnings cycle. While we're at it, we will do the same with the upside -- that is, if at any time during the two-weeks the straddle goes up 25%, we take the profits and close the trade. 

For clarity, this is what we test: 

And now we can see the results over the same three-year period: 

While we are taking 75% less risk, we are seeing about the same results -- we will continue down this risk adjusted path for the rest of this dossier. 

Digging Deeper 
      Now we can see the results over the last two-years: 

That's a 126% return and 7 winning trades with 1 losing trade. Remember, this trade takes no stock direction risk and no earnings risk -- this is completely agnostic to a bull or bear market. 

Even further, that 126% actually came on just 16 weeks of trading (2-weeks per earnings cycle, 8 earnings cycles), which is over 400% annualized returns. 

Now we look at the last year: 

We see a 65.2% percent return on 3 winning trade and 1 losing trade. 

Finally, we can look at the last six-months: 

That's 40.1%, winning both of the last two pre-earnings trades. 

WHAT HAPPENED 
      This is it -- this is how people profit from the option market. Identifying strategies that are tightly risk controlled, take no stock direction bets or earnings risk. It's preparation, not luck. 

To see how to do this for any stock we welcome you to watch this quick demonstration video: 

Thanks for reading. 

Risk Disclosure 
      You should read the Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options. 

Past performance is not an indication of future results. 

Trading futures and options involves the risk of loss. Please consider carefully whether futures or options are appropriate to your financial situation. Only risk capital should be used when trading futures or options. Investors could lose more than their initial investment. 

Past results are not necessarily indicative of future results. The risk of loss in trading can be substantial, carefully consider the inherent risks of such an investment in light of your financial condition.
    • By Ophir Gottlieb
      How to Profit from Trading Options in Autodesk Inc Right After Earnings

Date Published: 2017-05-18 
      Written by Ophir Gottlieb 

LEDE 
      While Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ:ADSK) just crushed earnings again, sending shares soaring in the after hours trade, one option trade after earnings has been a consistent winner. It takes no earnings risk, little stock direction risk and over the last year has never lost while returning over 160% annualized returns. 

The Trade After the Excitement 
      While most of the focus is on the actual earnings move for a stock, that's the distraction when it comes to the option market. For Autodesk Inc, irrespective of whether the earnings move was up or down, if we waited one-day after the stock move from earnings, and then sold an out of the money put spread, the results were very strong. 

We can examine this, objectively, with a custom option back-test. Here is our earnings set-up: 

Rules 
      * Open short put spread 1 day after earnings 
      * Close short put spread 29 days later 
      * Use the option that is closest to but greater than 30-days away from expiration 

Here are the results over the last year: 

That's a 47.3% return, with 4 winning trades and 0 losing trades. The total holding period was less than 4 full months, meaning the annualized return was over 160%. No earnings risk was taken -- this is not a coin flip over earnings. 

The Logic 
      This strategy works beautifully in many companies where heavy stock volume follows the earnings release. The logic behind this trade follows a narrative that even after a bad earnings release, if we wait a day after, we find the stock at a point of equilibrium. 

If it gapped down -- that gap is over. If it beat earnings, the downside move is already likely muted. Here's how this strategy has done over the last 6-months: 

That's a 21.3% return, on 2 winning trades and 0 losing trades. Since this is a total of a two-month holding period, that 21.3% is actually over 120% annualized. 

If you're curious, yes, this also produced positive returns over the last 3-years. Here are those results. 

Now we can find some comfort in this approach where is shows 9 winning trades and just 2 losing trades over the last three-years. 

WHAT HAPPENED 
      There are patterns to stock behaviors before and after earnings and those patterns reveal opportunities in the option market, without taking the actual risk of earnings. You can find them, stock by stock, Apple, Google, Netflix and of course Autodesk Inc are just a handful of examples. There has been edge here with this strategy. 

To see how to do this for any stock and for any strategy with just the click of a few buttons, we welcome you to watch this quick demonstration video: 

Thanks for reading. 

Risk Disclosure 

Trading futures and options involves the risk of loss. Please consider carefully whether futures or options are appropriate to your financial situation. Only risk capital should be used when trading futures or options. Investors could lose more than their initial investment. 

Past results are not necessarily indicative of future results. The risk of loss in trading can be substantial, carefully consider the inherent risks of such an investment in light of your financial condition. 

The author has no position in Autodesk Inc (NASDAQ:ADSK) as of this writing. 

Back-test Link

• By Ophir Gottlieb
      How to Trade Options Before Earnings in Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ:AVGO)

How to Trade Options Before Earnings in Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ:AVGO)
      Date Published: 2017-05-15 

PREFACE 
      Trading options in a short window before earnings are released benefits from the rising implied volatility but avoids the risk into the actual earnings release and also avoids any kind of stock direction risk. 

This approach has returned a annualized rate of 198%. Now that's worth looking into. 

STORY 
      Everyone knows that the day of an earnings announcement is a risky event for a stock. This can be explicitly seen in the option market, where the implied volatility (the expected stock move) rises into the earnings event. 

The question every option trader, whether professional or amateur, has long asked is if there is a way to profit from this known volatility rise. It turns out, that over the long-run, for stocks with certain tendencies like Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ:AVGO) the answer is actually, yes. 

Yes, there is a systematic way to trade this repeating phenomenon, without making a bet on earnings or stock direction.

THE SET UP 
      What a trader wants to do is to see the results of buying an at the money straddle a few days before earnings, and then sell that straddle just before earnings. The goal, is two-fold: (i) to benefit from that known implied volatility rise, and (ii) to own the straddle for a very short period of time when the stock might move 'a lot,' but taking no earnings bets. 

If either of those two phenomena occur, there's a very good chance this wins, if neither occur, the amount risked is normally quite small. Here is the setup: 

We are testing opening the position 6 days before earnings and then closing the position 1 day before earnings. This is not making any earnings bet. This is not making any stock direction bet. 

Once we apply that simple rule to our back-test, we run it on an at-the-money straddle: 

RETURNS 
      If we did this long at-the-money (also called '50-delta') straddle in Broadcom Limited (NASDAQ:AVGO) over the last three-years but only held it before earnings we get these results: 

Long At-the-Money Straddle * Monthly Options * Back-test length: three-years * Open 6-days Before Earnings * Close 1-day Before Earnings * Holding Period: 5-Days per Earnings   Winning Trades: 5 Losing Trades: 7 Pre-Earnings Straddle Return:  17.1%  Annualized Return:  102% 
      We see a 17.1% return, testing this over the last 12 earnings dates in Broadcom Limited. That's a total of just 60 days (5 days for each earnings date, over 12 earnings dates). That's a annualized rate of 102%. 

We can also see that this strategy hasn't been a winner all the time, rather it has won 5 times and lost 7 times, but here's the key -- it wins about half of the time, but the average gain per winning trade is substantially larger than the average loss on a losing trade: 

Consistently Successful 
      This idea has also been a successful approach over the last two-years:
      Long At-the-Money Straddle * Monthly Options * Back-test length: two-years * Open 6-days Before Earnings * Close 1-day Before Earnings * Holding Period: 5-Days per Earnings   Winning Trades: 4 Losing Trades: 4 Pre-Earnings Straddle Return:  22%  Annualized Return:  198% 
      Now we see a 22% return, testing this over the last 8 earnings dates which is a annualized rate of 198%. 

Yet again, we see a trade that wins about half the time, but the average win is much larger than the average loss: 

If you really want to see how we found this, and how to do it for other stocks like Apple, Google and Amazon, here is a 1-minute and 34-second video that every professional option trader would rather that you don't see. 

Learn more here: Try the Back-tester Yourself

WHAT HAPPENED 
      There are patterns to stock behaviors before and after earnings and those patterns reveal opportunities in the option market, without taking the actual risk of earnings. You can find them, stock by stock. This is how people profit from the option market -- it's preparation, not luck. 

To see how to do this for any stock we welcome you to watch this quick demonstration video: 

Thanks for reading. 

Risk Disclosure 

Back-test Link

• By Ophir Gottlieb
      The Secret Behind Options Pre-Earnings Trading in Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC)

Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC): The Wonderful Secret Behind Options Pre-Earnings Trading
      Date Published: 2017-05-4

PREFACE 
      There is a wonderful secret to trading options right before earnings announcements in Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC) , and really many stocks, that benefits from the rising implied volatility but avoids the risk into the actual earnings release and also avoids any kind of stock direction risk. 

THE WONDERFUL SECRET 
      What a trader wants to do is to see the results of buying an at the money straddle a few days before earnings, and then sell that straddle just before earnings. 

The goal, is two-fold: (i) to benefit from that known implied volatility rise, and (ii) to own the straddle for a very short period of time when the stock might move 'a lot,' but never take the risk of actually owning options during the earnings release. 

If either of those two phenomena occur, there's a very good chance this wins, if neither occur, the amount risked is normally quite small. Here is the setup: 

We are testing opening the position in Intel Corporation 6 days before earnings and then closing the position right before earnings. This is not making any earnings bet. This is notmaking any stock direction bet. 

RETURNS 
      If we did this long at-the-money (also called '50-delta') straddle in Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC) over the last three-years but only held it before earnings we get these results: 

We see a 47.8% return, testing this over the last 12 earnings dates in Intel Corporation. That's a total of just 72 days (6 days for each earnings date, over 12 earnings dates). That's a annualized rate of 242%. 

We can also see that the win/loss rate is split with 6-wins and 6-losses, yet the return is enormous. That means the winning trades are much larger than the losing trades, which is exactly what a successful trading strategy attempts to do. No magic bullets -- rather smart methodologies for wealth creation. 

MORE TO IT THAN MEETS THE EYE 
      While this strategy is benefiting from the implied volatility rise into earnings for Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC), what it's really doing is far more intelligent. 

The ideal stocks for this strategy have a couple of common characteristics: 

(i) The companies rarely pre-announce earnings -- this is an investment that does not look to make an earnings bet, so an earnings pre-announcement is the opposite of what we're hoping for. 

(ii) The underlying stock price of these companies tend to move a lot (or some) as earnings approach and various institutions and traders shuffle the stock price around in anticipation of the earnings result. The more one sided the outside world starts betting on direction -- up or down, the better it is to own the straddle. 

WHAT HAPPENED 
      This is it -- this is how people profit from the option market -- it's preparation, not luck. 

Test the results on Apple Inc and Alphabet Inc, and the results are staggering. 

To see how to do this for any stock and for any strategy with just the click of a few buttons, we welcome you to watch this quick demonstration video: 

Thanks for reading. 

Risk Disclosure 

The author has no position in Intel Corporation Inc (NASDAQ:INTC) as of this writing. 

Back-test Link (does require custom earnings settings).