SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Welcome to Steady Options

55 posts in this topic

July 2018 update:

Many of our current and former members know our long time mentor @Yowster for his highly valuable contributions to SteadyOptions community. Many of you learned to appreciate his high professionalism and patience. 

I'm pleased to inform all members that going forward @Yowster will start contributing trades to our official model portfolio. The performance numbers on the performance page will include all trades from the official model portfolio. This will allow us to expand the quantity and the quality of our trades, sometimes providing a slightly different angle and perspective.

SteadyOptions is getting even better! Now you will get official trades from two traders for the price of one! This means more selection and more diversity.

Those who followed @Kim to get the posts in trades and discussions forums, please don't forget to follow @Yowster. Of course you can also continue following the forums and the topics.

Have a good trading!

On 5/4/2013 at 7:34 PM, Kim said:

Please note that suggested portfolio size for SO alerts is $10,000-$100,000. We do NOT recommend trading accounts larger than $100,000 due to potential liquidity issues.

@Kim Do you think that the about 100k account size limit for the the SO strategies due to liquidity is one reason why the strategies work so well and have not gotten crowded or arbed away? The strategy is therefore not feasible even for tiny funds or family offices. And for most retail traders it might be to "complex" or have a too long learning curve (therefore they might be more attracted to the selling premium story). I think that SO is a bundle of strategies and the permanent adaption to the changing market environment and also the portfolio management of the different strategies which hedge each other kind of are other reasons why SO has been consistently profitable. But do you think that the about 100k liquidity cap is kind of a boon for SO?

Hard to say. People were saying 10 years ago that iron condor will be dead once too many people start using it.

The liquidity issue in our case is not related to a strategy. If we traded only stocks like SPY or AAPL, we could trade tens of thousands of contracts. But buying 1,000 contracts on less liquid stocks could be tricky. The market simply doesn't have that kind of liquidity.

As for the strategies themselves - as long as traders have different opinions and different views, the strategies will continue working. As you correctly mentioned, it's all about management.

But nobody should try and trade those strategies in a fund. Please trust us on this.  

Hi Kim, I would like to join steady options too please let me know when a spot becomes available.

I am comfortable with strangles, straddles, naked selling and verticals. Would love to learn calendars and a bit of portfolio management would not hurt.

Thanks.

Hi Kim, 

Really interested in joining steady options as well. Not sure what else is required for sign up? If I choose the one of the bundles am I still in a wait list position? What type of time frame before spots open up?

Colin

I would like to be added to the wait list on Steady options; I trade options, but only the basic puts and calls and have a small account.  It be great to learn how to do things like Iron condors, various spreads, etc.

Hello Kim,  Please let me know when you have an opening at SO. I started trading after Investools program 2012, I've been at Sheridan for the last year. I like your approach and think I could learn a lot here. thanks! Dave

I have a very newbie question on the suggested exit price or target. It’s mentioned in the welcome note that it would be listed in the trade topic created, but I can’t seem to find it.  I did see a target gain in the pre-trade discussion of a couple recent trades, but couldn’t find it in others. So all that to ask, will the suggested exit price be in the trade topic or in the pre-trade discussion topic? Thanks in advance!

October 2021 update:

Many of our current and former members know our long time mentor @krisbee for his highly valuable contributions to SteadyOptions community. Many of you learned to appreciate his high professionalism and patience. 

I'm pleased to inform all members that going forward @krisbee will start contributing trades to our official model portfolio. The performance numbers on the performance page will include all trades from the official model portfolio (posted under SteadyOptions Trades forum). This will allow us to expand the quantity and the quality of our trades, sometimes providing a slightly different angle and perspective.

SteadyOptions is getting even better! Now you will get official trades from THREE traders for the price of one! This means more selection and more diversity.

Those who followed @Kim and @Yowsterto get the posts in trades and discussions forums, please don't forget to follow @krisbee. Of course you can also continue following the forums and the topics.

Happy trading!

SteadyOptions service is currently by invitation only. Invitations are sent to members as spots become available. New members, please make sure to leave "Send me updates" field checked when creating a new forum account.

The goal is to control capacity and provide the best service to existing members.

Please note that all bundles are still available. If you subscribe to all services bundle or 2 services bundle (1 year or 2 years), you still get the SteadyOptions service as part of the bundle.

Dear Kim,

I've got the invitation and wanted to join, but I'm a bit disappointed that there is no free trial anymore/at the moment.

a) Why is that the case (it is still shown on the subscription page)?

b) I wanted to subscribe to the monthly option at first to get some experience with it, but i do not see this option on the subscription page? I have not been a member before, so - in my understanding - i should be able to choose monthly? Please explain.

Thank you!

Dear Mr. Fred,

SO is currently in capacity controlled mode. We can accept only a limited number of new members, and we are only interested in serious traders dedicated to their professional development.

I believe that reading the Welcome to SteadyOptions post and Frequently Asked Questions, viewing our reviews and analyzing our 10+ years performance should give you a pretty good idea if the service is a good fit for you. I also believe that you need at least 3 months anyway to get a "feel" of how the service works.

Is it please possible to post the 100 stocks with high IV's mentioned here, so it helps in understanding and application of principles.

I do not have premium access to seeking alpha , appreciate the help 

------------------------------------------------

1. Which stocks should be used? I tend to trade stocks with post-earnings moves of at least 5-7% in the last four earnings cycles; the larger the move the better.
  2. When to buy? IV starts to rise as early as three weeks before earnings for some stocks and just a few days before earnings for others. Buy too early and negative theta will kill the trade. Buy too late and you might miss the big portion of the IV increase. I found that 5-7 days usually works the best.
  3. Which strikes to buy? If you go far OTM (Out of The Money), you get big gains if the stock moves before earnings. But if the stock doesn’t move, closer to the money strikes might be a better choice. Since I don’t know in advance if the stock will move, I found deltas in the 20-30 range to be a good compromise.

The selection of the stocks is very important to the success of the strategy. The following simple steps will help with the selection:

1. Go to here.
  2. Filter stocks with movement greater than 5% in the last 3 earnings.
  3. For each stock in the list, check if the options are liquid enough.

Using those simple steps, I compiled a list of almost 100 stocks which fit the criteria. Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG), Netflix (NFLX), F5 Networks (FFIV), Priceline (PCLN), Amazon (AMZN), First Solar (FSLR), Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR), Akamai Technologies (AKAM), Intuitive Surgical (ISRG), Saleforce (CRM), Wynn Resorts (WYNN), Baidu (BIDU) are among the best candidates for this strategy. Those stocks usually experience the largest pre-earnings IV spikes.

This article is 10 years old. It describes the general concept, but a lot has changed since then. You can find the symbols we trade on the subscription page. There is no specific list, but many symbols repeat from cycle to cycle.

Hi.  I've spent last four hours reviewing your site and am very interested in learning to trade options with you guys.  I have a couple of rollover IRA's and a Roth IRA with Fidelity.  My intent is to gradually apply my Roth money to the Steady Options program, in 10K increments and let it accumulate for 5 or 10 years.  Fidelity advises that Options trading on IRAs includes Buy-writes, Selling covered calls, Rolling covered calls, Buying calls/puts, Selling cash covered puts, Long straddles/strangles, Spreads (up to 4 legs).  QUESTION:  Are these options adequate to cover the strategies that you use with SO?  I am a beginner, but am willing to start slow and learn.  I really appreciate everything I've read so far.

From Fidelity Web Site:

Options trading on IRAs includes:

• Buy-writes
  • Selling covered calls
  • Rolling covered calls
  • Buying calls/puts
  • Selling cash covered puts
  • Long straddles/strangles
  • Spreads (up to 4 legs)

Our main strategies are straddles, strangles and calendars. I assume calendars fall under definition of spreads, so they should qualify. All our trades are defined risk, never naked.

Hope this answers your question.

I'm pleased to announce that our long term mentor @TrustyJules will become a contributor and start posting official trades. He is likely to start with his famous SPY IC "boring trade", but might add other strategies over time.

SteadyOptions has now four official contributors: @Kim @Yowster @krisbee and @TrustyJules

I recommend following all of us, it will save you time to follow each trade individually.

We become better and better over the years!

Question
I just noticed that over the last two or three weeks I am not receiving Twitter alerts for the new trades and closing trades for steady option trades… I have gone over all the set ups a few times I cannot find where the issue is… Any ideas? And just an FYI I have been receiving them perfectly over the last two years.

12 minutes ago, GregOB17 said:

Question
I just noticed that over the last two or three weeks I am not receiving Twitter alerts for the new trades and closing trades for steady option trades… I have gone over all the set ups a few times I cannot find where the issue is… Any ideas? And just an FYI I have been receiving them perfectly over the last two years.

Thanks, we'll check in to it. Right now please follow the trades/contributors to get the notification by email.

I'm pleased to announce that our long term mentor and SteadyVol contributor @SBatch will become a SteadyOptions contributor and start posting his TLT strategy for our official model portfolio. 

SteadyOptions has now FIVE official contributors: @Kim @Yowster @krisbee @TrustyJules and @SBatch

I recommend following all of us, it will save you time to follow each trade individually.

We become better and better over the years!

Thats great news - there is noone I know that understands TLT better than @SBatch and thats definitely big-boy stuff. As James Carville once famously quipped:

"I used to think that if there was reincarnation, I wanted to come back as the president or the pope or as a . 400 baseball hitter. But now I would like to come back as the bond market. You can intimidate everybody."

Its the biggest game in town.

Hi.  

I'm a new member.  I'm very interested in learning how to execute the SteadyOption process on my own.  To this end, do you provide a daily/weekly/monthly trading checklist or process that we can leverage to guide us on our journey?

This is an abbreviated example of what I'm looking for:

Daily:

1. Check and adjust/exit positions - Tool:  Broker platfom
  2. Enter new trades when entry target price is met - Tool:  Broker platform
  3. Update Trade Journal - Tool:  Excel, ONE, etc.

Weekly:

1. Assess Market, Volatility - Tool?, Expected output?
  2. Determine strategy mix-  Tool? This step helps us detemine how many of each type of strategy we should trade (both earnings and non-earnings) based on what we learn from the market assessment.
  3. Identify candidates - Tool:  Optionslam (?), other tools?
  4. Determine RV so that we can determiine entry price for candidate - Tool:  VolatilityHQ/Chartaffair/others?
  5. Weekly Retrospective-  what went well, where are opportunities for improvement

Monthly:

1. Assess Market, Volatility - Tool?, Output?
  2. Monthly Retrospective - what went well, where are opportunities for improvement

I've been studying the forums but I haven't found anything like this yet; however, there is so much great information there I may have missed it.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, JET said:

Hi.  

I'm a new member.  I'm very interested in learning how to execute the SteadyOption process on my own.  To this end, do you provide a daily/weekly/monthly trading checklist or process that we can leverage to guide us on our journey?

This is an abbreviated example of what I'm looking for:

Daily:

1. Check and adjust/exit positions - Tool:  Broker platfom
  2. Enter new trades when entry target price is met - Tool:  Broker platform
  3. Update Trade Journal - Tool:  Excel, ONE, etc.

Weekly:

1. Assess Market, Volatility - Tool?, Expected output?
  2. Determine strategy mix-  Tool? This step helps us detemine how many of each type of strategy we should trade (both earnings and non-earnings) based on what we learn from the market assessment.
  3. Identify candidates - Tool:  Optionslam (?), other tools?
  4. Determine RV so that we can determiine entry price for candidate - Tool:  VolatilityHQ/Chartaffair/others?
  5. Weekly Retrospective-  what went well, where are opportunities for improvement

Monthly:

1. Assess Market, Volatility - Tool?, Output?
  2. Monthly Retrospective - what went well, where are opportunities for improvement

I've been studying the forums but I haven't found anything like this yet; however, there is so much great information there I may have missed it.

Thank you!

I believe this one we will have to figure out ourselves. And the main reason is that most of the mentor in here have their own style of doing research, selecting the tickers, and the strategy they will use on it.

The main tools they use, are VolatilityHQ, and OptionNet. They provide you with almost everything you need to find and test the trades you find here.

Beside those, many members here use other tools, like Excel, Python, etc... to make their own evaluations. 

I am exactly in your position and trying to create my own procedure, by reading in here.

I think it is a good idea if someone of us noobs, will start a thread, where he/she, will start such a structure in the first post, old and new members, will contribute, below their procedure of research and trade selection, and the first post, will be updated continuously to incorporate those steps.