SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. TRY IT FREE!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

cuegis

Interactive Brokers Data Feed Change

Recommended Posts

Have all of the IB customers received the email last night (Mar 17) informing us that we have to change our data feed subscriptions by

April 1, 2017, otherwise we are going to be defaulted to 20 minute delayed quotes? With each quote being a "snapshot" of a moment in time and no longer "streaming" info?

I was not 100% sure what I needed to do but, I added a $4.50 package that appears to turn the delayed data back into real-time streaming data.

I think that was the correct choice, but I just wanted to hear from others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cuegis said:

Have all of the IB customers received the email last night (Mar 17) informing us that we have to change our data feed subscriptions by

April 1, 2017, otherwise we are going to be defaulted to 20 minute delayed quotes? With each quote being a "snapshot" of a moment in time and no longer "streaming" info?

I was not 100% sure what I needed to do but, I added a $4.50 package that appears to turn the delayed data back into real-time streaming data.

I think that was the correct choice, but I just wanted to hear from others

I did receive it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cuegis said:

What , if any, changes did/are you going to make?

U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s - identical to the bundled service being terminated except that the streaming BATS exchange quotes will be replaced by a "snapshot quote". Here, the user elects when to update the quote and refresh the display with the current NBBO inclusive of the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ exchanges. The monthly fee for this service is USD 10 (waived if commissions of at least USD 30 are generated during the month) plus USD 0.01 for each snapshot requested.  Note that the snapshot portion of the fee is not subject to waiver, regardless of commissions, but is capped at USD 1.50 per month by exchange.2 

NYSE (Network A/CTA), AMEX (Network B/CTA) and/or NASDAQ (Network C/UTP) - clients may elect to subscribe to live streaming level 1 quote feeds from the NYSE, AMEX and/or NASDAQ at a cost of USD 1.50 each per month (not subject to waiver). If subscribed to the U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s service, any of the individual exchange feeds also selected would serve to provide a live feed in lieu of the snapshot quote for that exchange.  If not subscribed to the U.S. Securities Snapshot &Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s service, live quotes will only be available for stocks listed on the individual exchange feeds selected and delayed quotes, rather than snapshot quotes, will be provided for stocks listed on the other exchanges.  Clients seeking live quote for all NMS stocks will need to subscribe to each of the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ services at a combined monthly cost of USD 4.50. 

These are the changes and IMPACT to continue ..... I may go with it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, YAAY said:

U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s - identical to the bundled service being terminated except that the streaming BATS exchange quotes will be replaced by a "snapshot quote". Here, the user elects when to update the quote and refresh the display with the current NBBO inclusive of the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ exchanges. The monthly fee for this service is USD 10 (waived if commissions of at least USD 30 are generated during the month) plus USD 0.01 for each snapshot requested.  Note that the snapshot portion of the fee is not subject to waiver, regardless of commissions, but is capped at USD 1.50 per month by exchange.2 

NYSE (Network A/CTA), AMEX (Network B/CTA) and/or NASDAQ (Network C/UTP) - clients may elect to subscribe to live streaming level 1 quote feeds from the NYSE, AMEX and/or NASDAQ at a cost of USD 1.50 each per month (not subject to waiver). If subscribed to the U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s service, any of the individual exchange feeds also selected would serve to provide a live feed in lieu of the snapshot quote for that exchange.  If not subscribed to the U.S. Securities Snapshot &Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s service, live quotes will only be available for stocks listed on the individual exchange feeds selected and delayed quotes, rather than snapshot quotes, will be provided for stocks listed on the other exchanges.  Clients seeking live quote for all NMS stocks will need to subscribe to each of the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ services at a combined monthly cost of USD 4.50. 

These are the changes and IMPACT to continue ..... I may go with it.  

Yes , the $4.50 choice, along with what we already have, is on the first page (North America) in the top left corner.

I think it is the first choice on the page.

This is what I added. It did say "options" in there somewhere.

So, if you choose the 2 that you listed, then everything will continue as it always has?

Edited by cuegis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cuegis said:

Yes , the $4.50 choice, along with what we already have, is on the first page (North America) in the top left corner.

I think it is the first choice on the page.

This is what I added. It did say "options" in there somewhere.

So, if you choose the 2 that you listed, then everything will continue as it always has?

It seems that way.   I guess we have no choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I elected to go the route of snapshots when I need them because it ends up capped at a 1.50 per exchange (4.50 total). If I end up hitting the cap consistently I'll switch. Couldn't bring my self to pay for streaming when it was free before for right now. Index quotes are still streaming if I understood it correctly. 

I'm subscribed to the new bundle and OPRA Top of Book subscription. The OPRA fee is waived with 20 dollars activity.  This seemed to work fine this past week when I switched  

I mostly trade on IB mobile during the day and have access to Fidelity quotes so streaming quotes aren't really really important to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2017 at 4:24 PM, kdunaway said:

I elected to go the route of snapshots when I need them because it ends up capped at a 1.50 per exchange (4.50 total). If I end up hitting the cap consistently I'll switch. Couldn't bring my self to pay for streaming when it was free before for right now. Index quotes are still streaming if I understood it correctly. 

I'm subscribed to the new bundle and OPRA Top of Book subscription. The OPRA fee is waived with 20 dollars activity.  This seemed to work fine this past week when I switched  

I mostly trade on IB mobile during the day and have access to Fidelity quotes so streaming quotes aren't really really important to me.  

I thought that the $4.50 addition was what they asked you to do to continue with "streaming"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently have the new value bundle and the OPRA subscription. On the mobile app the indices (RUT, VIX, etc) show as realtime and all the stock quotes are delayed. The delayed quotes are yellow. So that leads me to believe that the indices quotes are still streaming. I was surprised at this myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kdunaway said:

Currently have the new value bundle and the OPRA subscription. On the mobile app the indices (RUT, VIX, etc) show as realtime and all the stock quotes are delayed. The delayed quotes are yellow. So that leads me to believe that the indices quotes are still streaming. I was surprised at this myself.

I'm assuming that whatever you have subscribed to for your home PC is the same data that you would receive if you were out using your android?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, seotrader said:

Kim, any idea why I get these prices:

 

 

It is because you are looking at the "Professional" package prices.

There are regulations that require "Professional" traders to pay a different set of prices.

You probably checked off "Professional" somewhere in your profile and that is why this list comes up.

You have to go back into your profile and change your status to "Non-Professional"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@seotrader- Those are the "professional" fees.  Even if you don't fit as a professional in the questionnaire you will be asked to pay these fees if you trade as a limited partnership. I manage a little money for a family limited partnership (LP) and IB says that's enough to trigger the higher fees. Since I have the LP account tied to my personal account for log in purposes it means my data subscriptions for my personal trading are also charged at the higher rates.  I'm considering changes.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tnTrader said:

@seotrader- Those are the "professional" fees.  Even if you don't fit as a professional in the questionnaire you will be asked to pay these fees if you trade as a limited partnership. I manage a little money for a family limited partnership (LP) and IB says that's enough to trigger the higher fees. Since I have the LP account tied to my personal account for log in purposes it means my data subscriptions for my personal trading are also charged at the higher rates.  I'm considering changes.

 

 

 

I have been with IB since they first opened.

I have an "Advisor/Client" arrangement with them, which also allows me to manage up to 15 accounts.

There is a nuance here that can allow you to still be called "Non-Professional" (and not pay PRO fees)

It is ONLY when you accept any form of payment, commission etc. from your client accounts that they are required to charge the Professional Fees.

In my case, I manage a few friends/family accounts, but I do it because I am such a wonderful guy!

So, I have always slipped under the "professional" fee requirements.

As long as you call yourself "Non-Professional" in your basic profile, and do not accept any form of payment (through IB) from your clients, you can pay Non -PRO fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cuegis said:

I have been with IB since they first opened.

I have an "Advisor/Client" arrangement with them, which also allows me to manage up to 15 accounts.

There is a nuance here that can allow you to still be called "Non-Professional" (and not pay PRO fees)

It is ONLY when you accept any form of payment, commission etc. from your client accounts that they are required to charge the Professional Fees.

In my case, I manage a few friends/family accounts, but I do it because I am such a wonderful guy!

So, I have always slipped under the "professional" fee requirements.

As long as you call yourself "Non-Professional" in your basic profile, and do not accept any form of payment (through IB) from your clients, you can pay Non -PRO fees.

This is true, but as others mentioned, your account has to be a personal account. if it is under any kind of limited partnership or corporation, they automatically consider it "professional".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

This is true, but as others mentioned, your account has to be a personal account. if it is under any kind of limited partnership or corporation, they automatically consider it "professional".

I'm sure you are correct.

None of my accounts are anything other than "Individual" accounts, so I guess that is why it worked out all these years.

There was actually a moment, several years ago, when I opened an account (actually, it was just another account in my name for me to do different type of trading).

When I opened it, unknowingly to me, the application somehow defaulted to have the customer (ME) pay some commission structure.

Then I saw that I was suddenly being charged like $500/month for data fees, and found out that this was the reason.

So, I said "no commissions from any of my accounts" and they changed it back to the fees that we are all familiar with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cuegis said:

As long as you call yourself "Non-Professional" in your basic profile, and do not accept any form of payment (through IB) from your clients, you can pay Non -PRO fees.

True, as long as none of the accounts are limited partnerships or corporations, as I now see Kim has also mentioned.  In my case I am managing an account owned by an LP and that pushes me into the higher fees, even though it is small and all family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tnTrader said:

True, as long as none of the accounts are limited partnerships or corporations, as I now see Kim has also mentioned.  In my case I am managing an account owned by an LP and that pushes me into the higher fees, even though it is small and all family.

Wow, that really is a pain.

I guess the difference in data fees is somewhere in the ballpark of $400-$500.

I don't know if this is an absolute SEC rule, or if other brokers would let it go.

And, even it that were the case, it is going to be pretty difficult to find a more cost effective (commissions) broker than IB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For ONE software to get live data from IB does anyone know if it works with just this bundle:

 

U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professionals.

 

I just subscribed and tried and it seems not to work. Not sure if it's because IB takes a while to update my subscription or if this bundle's snapshot data does not work for ONE.

 

Update:

I had to subscribe to:

 

US Equity and Options Add-On Streaming Bundle ($4.50) to get ONE working.

 

 

Edited by Nic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

I'm new to SO as well as IB. Kinda really surprised that streaming quotes aren't included as they have been with every other broker I've used (mainly TOS). After reviewing all the options it seems like all you need is the US Securities Snapshot and Futures Value Bundle ($10 or waived if you do $30/month in commissions) and the US Equity and Options Add-On Streaming Bundle ($4.50).  Do you need Level 1 for AMEX, NAsdaq, and OPRA as well? Seems like that would already be included. Thanks for your help!
 

Eric

Edited by pnd4pnd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pnd4pnd said:

Hi all,

I'm new to SO as well as IB. Kinda really surprised that streaming quotes aren't included as they have been with every other broker I've used (mainly TOS). After reviewing all the options it seems like all you need is the US Securities Snapshot and Futures Value Bundle ($10 or waived if you do $30/month in commissions) and the US Equity and Options Add-On Streaming Bundle ($4.50).  Do you need Level 1 for AMEX, NAsdaq, and OPRA as well? Seems like that would already be included. Thanks for your help!
 

Eric

 

@pnd4pnd - this is what I have (see screenshot)  -  "CME Real-Time"  (under Level 1 (NBBO) only applies if you want to have/ see ES (E-mini S&P500 futures) real time, so this is optional. 

IB market data 2017.09.28.JPG

Edited by 4REAL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy and free!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Kim
      I want to talk today about commissions.

      Lets assume that you buy a straddle for $2 ($1 each option). I have an account with IB (Interactive Brokers) and pay 0.70 per contract. So for me to do a round trip trade is 2.80. This is 1.4% of the cost of the trade. So if my gain is 10%, then I keep 8.6% after commissions.

      If you pay $1.5 per contract, then your total cost is $6. That's 3%. You need 3% gain just to break even.

      Some brokers charge you per ticket fee plus per contract fee. This might be a good deal if you do a lot of contracts. For example, if you do 20 contracts and pay $5 per ticket plus 0.30 per contract, then you pay 0.55 per contract. But if you do just 2 contracts, then it's 2.80 per contract.

      Also some brokers charge a fee per ticket per leg, others per ticket for the whole spread. For RIC which is 4 leg trade, it's a huge difference. Since you make it as one trade, you might pay one per ticket fee with some brokers or four fees with others.

      Commissions is one of the reasons why I don't like cheap stocks. A straddle on a $100 stock might cost around $5.00-6.00. Paying $2.80 commissions is only 0.5% of the trade. But straddle on $15 stock can be only $0.70, so $2.80 is 4% of the trade. A huge difference.

      When choosing a broker for those strategies, remember that commissions can make a huge difference. Check the fine print and do the math which broker is better for you based on the number of contracts you are going to trade.
       
      Update: For those who don't want to read the whole thread, it seems like most members really like IB. Barrons's agrees:
       
      Based on Barron's numerical calculations, Interactive Brokers (interactivebrokers.com) claims the No. 1 spot overall for the third-straight year. 
      http://online.barrons.com/articles/SB50001424053111904628504579433251867361162
    • By Crazy ayzo
      I'm looking for someone that is a power user of some of the following... Tradehawk with Tradier, Interactive Brokers, Optionnetexplorer ONE, CMLviz TradeMachine... and any other tools that you find particularly useful.   My schedule is fairly flexible.  I'm in the pacific time zone.
      If this is something that interests you either post here or PM me with an hourly rate.  It's ok if you only know some of the tools, I don't expect anyone to know them all.  I can pay via paypal.
      After I get a better handle on the tools, I'd also be interest in working with someone on strategy of non-directional trades.
       
      P.S.  I did get Kim's approval before making such an off-topic post.
    • By Kim
      The impact of commissions on your results can be astonishing.
       
      This excellent article by Business Insider is asking the right questions (and also answering some of them):
       
      When you pay commission fees for online stock trades, where does that money go? Do you get better execution by paying $9.99 to TD Ameritrade than by paying $1 to Interactive Brokers? How much better? Enough to justify the difference in price?
       
      Their conclusions:
      At least 17 million investors overpaying for online brokerage Only 12% of commission fee is used for trade execution at top brokerages Over $1.8 billion per year wasted on unused premium services Lets analyze one specific month, January 2015, and see how different commissions structure can impact the returns of our SteadyOptions model portfolio.
       
      SteadyOptions $10k model portfolio traded 228 contracts in January. If you paid $0.75/contract with no ticket fee, you spent $171 on commissions, which is 1.7% of your portfolio value. While not cheap, but considering the fact that we produced 20.7% ROI in January (12.4% return on the whole account assuming 10% allocation), it is completely reasonable.
       
      However, if you had a ticket fee of $8, in addition to $0.75/contract, you would pay $427 in commissions, more than double. In this case, your returns will be reduced by 4.3%.
       
      This will make HUGE difference in the long term. To see how huge, I went to pro-trading-profits.com, a third party website that tracks performance of 400+ newsletters. I clicked on SteadyOptions performance report and played with different parameters. Using the $0.75/contract with no ticket fee, a $10,000 portfolio would produce $35,693 gains since inception. Adding $8 ticket fee to each trade would reduce the gains to $23,869.
       
      The impact of the ticket fee is especially significant if you have relatively small account.
       
      Of course commissions is only part of the whole package. Other factors include tools, platform, customer service etc. Barron's publishes a comprehensive brokers review every year. Here is the last one. Interactive Brokers (IB) was ranked #1 by Barron's third year in a row. This is the broker I personally have been using for the last 7 years and I'm very happy.
       
      Barron's mention that "IB offers a lot more support to new clients, including individuals, especially those with larger accounts. Yes, using the word "support" in the same sentence as Interactive Brokers (without the modifier "dismal") is a change for us, but the firm has clearly made this a point of focus."
       
      Their conclusion:
       
      "Interactive Brokers continues to have extremely competitive pricing, and the lowest margin fees of any broker in our survey. You may incur some data fees, but the firm takes care of any options-exercise costs, which can generate unexpected fees at many other brokers."
       
      On the open section of our forum, we have couple very useful discussions about brokers:
       
      Brokers and commissions
      Interactive Brokers tips, tricks, webtrader etc.
       
      There is a consensus among our members that IB and TOS by TD Ameritrade offer the best combination of commissions, platform, and execution. If you decide to go with TOS, I highly recommend that you negotiate a commissions structure that does not include a ticket fee.
       
      Here are couple more good articles worth reading:
       
      The Truth Behind Broker Commissions - Learning Markets
      Comparison of online brokerages in the United States
      Relative Importance Of Options Brokerage Fees
       
      For Canadian traders, here is an excellent study on the commissions schemas offered by Canadian discount Brokers.
    • By Kim
      I tried to to buy 1 Apr SPX 1300 put and getting an error message that I have insufficient margin. The message indicates that the margin will increase by 53,985 (see attached image).

       

      I opened a ticket with IB. Their response was:

       

       

       

      I couldn't believe this, but the fact remains.
    • By Bschulz
      I'm opening an account at IB and wondering if there is a promotion code or partner code to use for SO members?
    • By Kim
      This demonstration shows how to execute some of our trades in Interactive Brokers.
       

       
      Download video:
       
      Executing Orders in Interactive Brokers.wmv
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.