SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

cuegis

Interactive Brokers Data Feed Change

Have all of the IB customers received the email last night (Mar 17) informing us that we have to change our data feed subscriptions by

April 1, 2017, otherwise we are going to be defaulted to 20 minute delayed quotes? With each quote being a "snapshot" of a moment in time and no longer "streaming" info?

I was not 100% sure what I needed to do but, I added a $4.50 package that appears to turn the delayed data back into real-time streaming data.

I think that was the correct choice, but I just wanted to hear from others

Just now, cuegis said:

Have all of the IB customers received the email last night (Mar 17) informing us that we have to change our data feed subscriptions by

April 1, 2017, otherwise we are going to be defaulted to 20 minute delayed quotes? With each quote being a "snapshot" of a moment in time and no longer "streaming" info?

I was not 100% sure what I needed to do but, I added a $4.50 package that appears to turn the delayed data back into real-time streaming data.

I think that was the correct choice, but I just wanted to hear from others

I did receive it

2 minutes ago, cuegis said:

What , if any, changes did/are you going to make?

U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s - identical to the bundled service being terminated except that the streaming BATS exchange quotes will be replaced by a "snapshot quote". Here, the user elects when to update the quote and refresh the display with the current NBBO inclusive of the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ exchanges. The monthly fee for this service is USD 10 (waived if commissions of at least USD 30 are generated during the month) plus USD 0.01 for each snapshot requested.  Note that the snapshot portion of the fee is not subject to waiver, regardless of commissions, but is capped at USD 1.50 per month by exchange.2 

NYSE (Network A/CTA), AMEX (Network B/CTA) and/or NASDAQ (Network C/UTP) - clients may elect to subscribe to live streaming level 1 quote feeds from the NYSE, AMEX and/or NASDAQ at a cost of USD 1.50 each per month (not subject to waiver). If subscribed to the U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s service, any of the individual exchange feeds also selected would serve to provide a live feed in lieu of the snapshot quote for that exchange.  If not subscribed to the U.S. Securities Snapshot &Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s service, live quotes will only be available for stocks listed on the individual exchange feeds selected and delayed quotes, rather than snapshot quotes, will be provided for stocks listed on the other exchanges.  Clients seeking live quote for all NMS stocks will need to subscribe to each of the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ services at a combined monthly cost of USD 4.50. 

These are the changes and IMPACT to continue ..... I may go with it.  

22 minutes ago, YAAY said:

U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s - identical to the bundled service being terminated except that the streaming BATS exchange quotes will be replaced by a "snapshot quote". Here, the user elects when to update the quote and refresh the display with the current NBBO inclusive of the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ exchanges. The monthly fee for this service is USD 10 (waived if commissions of at least USD 30 are generated during the month) plus USD 0.01 for each snapshot requested.  Note that the snapshot portion of the fee is not subject to waiver, regardless of commissions, but is capped at USD 1.50 per month by exchange.2 

NYSE (Network A/CTA), AMEX (Network B/CTA) and/or NASDAQ (Network C/UTP) - clients may elect to subscribe to live streaming level 1 quote feeds from the NYSE, AMEX and/or NASDAQ at a cost of USD 1.50 each per month (not subject to waiver). If subscribed to the U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s service, any of the individual exchange feeds also selected would serve to provide a live feed in lieu of the snapshot quote for that exchange.  If not subscribed to the U.S. Securities Snapshot &Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professional s service, live quotes will only be available for stocks listed on the individual exchange feeds selected and delayed quotes, rather than snapshot quotes, will be provided for stocks listed on the other exchanges.  Clients seeking live quote for all NMS stocks will need to subscribe to each of the NYSE, AMEX and NASDAQ services at a combined monthly cost of USD 4.50. 

These are the changes and IMPACT to continue ..... I may go with it.  

Yes , the $4.50 choice, along with what we already have, is on the first page (North America) in the top left corner.

I think it is the first choice on the page.

This is what I added. It did say "options" in there somewhere.

So, if you choose the 2 that you listed, then everything will continue as it always has?

Edited by cuegis

1 minute ago, cuegis said:

Yes , the $4.50 choice, along with what we already have, is on the first page (North America) in the top left corner.

I think it is the first choice on the page.

This is what I added. It did say "options" in there somewhere.

So, if you choose the 2 that you listed, then everything will continue as it always has?

It seems that way.   I guess we have no choice

I elected to go the route of snapshots when I need them because it ends up capped at a 1.50 per exchange (4.50 total). If I end up hitting the cap consistently I'll switch. Couldn't bring my self to pay for streaming when it was free before for right now. Index quotes are still streaming if I understood it correctly. 

I'm subscribed to the new bundle and OPRA Top of Book subscription. The OPRA fee is waived with 20 dollars activity.  This seemed to work fine this past week when I switched  

I mostly trade on IB mobile during the day and have access to Fidelity quotes so streaming quotes aren't really really important to me.  

On 3/18/2017 at 4:24 PM, kdunaway said:

I elected to go the route of snapshots when I need them because it ends up capped at a 1.50 per exchange (4.50 total). If I end up hitting the cap consistently I'll switch. Couldn't bring my self to pay for streaming when it was free before for right now. Index quotes are still streaming if I understood it correctly. 

I'm subscribed to the new bundle and OPRA Top of Book subscription. The OPRA fee is waived with 20 dollars activity.  This seemed to work fine this past week when I switched  

I mostly trade on IB mobile during the day and have access to Fidelity quotes so streaming quotes aren't really really important to me.  

I thought that the $4.50 addition was what they asked you to do to continue with "streaming"

Currently have the new value bundle and the OPRA subscription. On the mobile app the indices (RUT, VIX, etc) show as realtime and all the stock quotes are delayed. The delayed quotes are yellow. So that leads me to believe that the indices quotes are still streaming. I was surprised at this myself.

10 minutes ago, kdunaway said:

Currently have the new value bundle and the OPRA subscription. On the mobile app the indices (RUT, VIX, etc) show as realtime and all the stock quotes are delayed. The delayed quotes are yellow. So that leads me to believe that the indices quotes are still streaming. I was surprised at this myself.

I'm assuming that whatever you have subscribed to for your home PC is the same data that you would receive if you were out using your android?

This is what I currently have:

Capture.PNG

You might not need all of them. Just try and see what is missing, it will tell you if you try to get a quote for something you are not subscribed to.

8 minutes ago, seotrader said:

Kim, any idea why I get these prices:

It is because you are looking at the "Professional" package prices.

There are regulations that require "Professional" traders to pay a different set of prices.

You probably checked off "Professional" somewhere in your profile and that is why this list comes up.

You have to go back into your profile and change your status to "Non-Professional"

@seotrader- Those are the "professional" fees.  Even if you don't fit as a professional in the questionnaire you will be asked to pay these fees if you trade as a limited partnership. I manage a little money for a family limited partnership (LP) and IB says that's enough to trigger the higher fees. Since I have the LP account tied to my personal account for log in purposes it means my data subscriptions for my personal trading are also charged at the higher rates.  I'm considering changes.

15 minutes ago, tnTrader said:

@seotrader- Those are the "professional" fees.  Even if you don't fit as a professional in the questionnaire you will be asked to pay these fees if you trade as a limited partnership. I manage a little money for a family limited partnership (LP) and IB says that's enough to trigger the higher fees. Since I have the LP account tied to my personal account for log in purposes it means my data subscriptions for my personal trading are also charged at the higher rates.  I'm considering changes.

I have been with IB since they first opened.

I have an "Advisor/Client" arrangement with them, which also allows me to manage up to 15 accounts.

There is a nuance here that can allow you to still be called "Non-Professional" (and not pay PRO fees)

It is ONLY when you accept any form of payment, commission etc. from your client accounts that they are required to charge the Professional Fees.

In my case, I manage a few friends/family accounts, but I do it because I am such a wonderful guy!

So, I have always slipped under the "professional" fee requirements.

As long as you call yourself "Non-Professional" in your basic profile, and do not accept any form of payment (through IB) from your clients, you can pay Non -PRO fees.

1 minute ago, cuegis said:

I have been with IB since they first opened.

I have an "Advisor/Client" arrangement with them, which also allows me to manage up to 15 accounts.

There is a nuance here that can allow you to still be called "Non-Professional" (and not pay PRO fees)

It is ONLY when you accept any form of payment, commission etc. from your client accounts that they are required to charge the Professional Fees.

In my case, I manage a few friends/family accounts, but I do it because I am such a wonderful guy!

So, I have always slipped under the "professional" fee requirements.

As long as you call yourself "Non-Professional" in your basic profile, and do not accept any form of payment (through IB) from your clients, you can pay Non -PRO fees.

This is true, but as others mentioned, your account has to be a personal account. if it is under any kind of limited partnership or corporation, they automatically consider it "professional".

2 minutes ago, Kim said:

This is true, but as others mentioned, your account has to be a personal account. if it is under any kind of limited partnership or corporation, they automatically consider it "professional".

I'm sure you are correct.

None of my accounts are anything other than "Individual" accounts, so I guess that is why it worked out all these years.

There was actually a moment, several years ago, when I opened an account (actually, it was just another account in my name for me to do different type of trading).

When I opened it, unknowingly to me, the application somehow defaulted to have the customer (ME) pay some commission structure.

Then I saw that I was suddenly being charged like $500/month for data fees, and found out that this was the reason.

So, I said "no commissions from any of my accounts" and they changed it back to the fees that we are all familiar with.

8 minutes ago, cuegis said:

True, as long as none of the accounts are limited partnerships or corporations, as I now see Kim has also mentioned.  In my case I am managing an account owned by an LP and that pushes me into the higher fees, even though it is small and all family.

4 minutes ago, tnTrader said:

True, as long as none of the accounts are limited partnerships or corporations, as I now see Kim has also mentioned.  In my case I am managing an account owned by an LP and that pushes me into the higher fees, even though it is small and all family.

Wow, that really is a pain.

I guess the difference in data fees is somewhere in the ballpark of $400-$500.

I don't know if this is an absolute SEC rule, or if other brokers would let it go.

And, even it that were the case, it is going to be pretty difficult to find a more cost effective (commissions) broker than IB.

For ONE software to get live data from IB does anyone know if it works with just this bundle:

U.S. Securities Snapshot & Futures Value Bundle for Non-Professionals.

I just subscribed and tried and it seems not to work. Not sure if it's because IB takes a while to update my subscription or if this bundle's snapshot data does not work for ONE.

Update:

I had to subscribe to:

US Equity and Options Add-On Streaming Bundle ($4.50) to get ONE working.

Edited by Nic

Hi all,

I'm new to SO as well as IB. Kinda really surprised that streaming quotes aren't included as they have been with every other broker I've used (mainly TOS). After reviewing all the options it seems like all you need is the US Securities Snapshot and Futures Value Bundle ($10 or waived if you do $30/month in commissions) and the US Equity and Options Add-On Streaming Bundle ($4.50).  Do you need Level 1 for AMEX, NAsdaq, and OPRA as well? Seems like that would already be included. Thanks for your help!

Eric

Edited by pnd4pnd

2 hours ago, pnd4pnd said:

Hi all,

I'm new to SO as well as IB. Kinda really surprised that streaming quotes aren't included as they have been with every other broker I've used (mainly TOS). After reviewing all the options it seems like all you need is the US Securities Snapshot and Futures Value Bundle ($10 or waived if you do $30/month in commissions) and the US Equity and Options Add-On Streaming Bundle ($4.50).  Do you need Level 1 for AMEX, NAsdaq, and OPRA as well? Seems like that would already be included. Thanks for your help!

Eric

@pnd4pnd - this is what I have (see screenshot)  -  "CME Real-Time"  (under Level 1 (NBBO) only applies if you want to have/ see ES (E-mini S&P500 futures) real time, so this is optional. 

IB market data 2017.09.28.JPG

Edited by 4REAL