SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. TRY IT FREE!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Tradier Brokerage Special Offer

528 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Just applied to open an account with Tradier. It asked for a promo code but I didn't know. I guess using the link provided by @Kim should be enough??

Also, I want to go with TradeHawk. Do I apply for TradeHawk account separately or do I just tell Tradier and they take care of that? And where and to whom do I indicate that I want the $59+$40 promo, to Tradier or to TradeHawk? I know one of them is front end and the other is back end but I am kind of confused on who handles the billing, account services, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Seth H said:

Just applied to open an account with Tradier. It asked for a promo code but I didn't know. I guess using the link provided by @Kim should be enough??

Also, I want to go with TradeHawk. Do I apply for TradeHawk account separately or do I just tell Tradier and they take care of that? And where and to whom do I indicate that I want the $59+$40 promo, to Tradier or to TradeHawk? I know one of them is front end and the other is back end but I am kind of confused on who handles the billing, account services, etc.

If you don't get a form after your account is confirmed asking you to 'agree to pay' for the $40 promotion, simply email them and tell them you want this deal and they'll get you hooked up (Tradier).

The tradehawk plan everyone has is just simply the 'Pro' version of the software listed on Tradier's platform site.  When you sign up (through Tradier), you'll get another form agreeing to pay for that.  Once that's done, Tradehawk will reach out with the download link.  I think Tradehawk may have upped their fees slightly since this thread was super active on the topic which is why it's $69 instead of $59.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hey Guys, New to SO here. What is the best mobile platform connected thru Tradier? Trade Hawk and Trend don't have mobile apps. Could you let me know the platform price as well with SO? Also, can we trade futures options in that platform? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Suresh Kampalli said:

 

Hey Guys, New to SO here. What is the best mobile platform connected thru Tradier? Trade Hawk and Trend don't have mobile apps. Could you let me know the platform price as well with SO? Also, can we trade futures options in that platform? Thanks

If you find one, let me know!  I'm not aware of any that do options/futures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Suresh Kampalli said:

Hmmm... that's disappointing. So, Tradier's all much ado about nothing.

Well, IMHO I don't think I would be *that* harsh on Tradier.  The SO deal with them is a great money saver, depending on your trading habits. 

   If you looking for low-cost, mobile platform then you might also take a look at Tastyworks.  I'm not sure about trading futures there - I've never tried it for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Suresh Kampalli said:

I am already using TW. They do provide options on futures and some commodities but charting is bad. Mobile app is alright.

@Suresh Kampalli I agree with you that TW's charts are lacking.  I've also noticed other aspects of their interface that I think could be better.

     Taking a broader view, I haven't found a broker or service yet that does it all for me.  I currently have accounts open, some with stagnant minimal amounts, at a handful of brokers (and other service providers) to take advantage of the features I like at each.  Some get most of my trades, while others I use mostly for their research tools, etc.  It's annoying, but it's the best I've come up with for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came across two brokerages 1. Firstrade and 2. Hrtrader. Both have mobile apps and $0 commissions. Hrtrader needs a minimum of $30K to open and monthly $25 flat fee OR total free if you have 50K daily margin and EOD free cash plus 50 trades mo.

Anyone has experience with them? The reviews on both are average but want to know if someone has real experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question to anyone using TradeHawk/Tradier combination: I tried to place SPXW Jan 31 iron butterfly order at the same time for the same strikes in TradeHawk and Etrade and the credit amount was different significantly (51.00 vs 53.30). Then I noticed that SPXW quote on TradeHawk is actually delayed. It doesn't match with the one from ETrade. Then I compared quotes from Yahoo and TradeHawk is really delayed. 

Then I went ahead and put the same limit order in both accounts and the on Etrade filled for the same credit but the one TradeHawk is not filling even if I lower the amount of credit to 52.5

Anyone noticed this with TradeHawk? It seems like this is the issue with SPX only since I compared other stock quotes and they matched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seth H said:

Question to anyone using TradeHawk/Tradier combination: I tried to place SPXW Jan 31 iron butterfly order at the same time for the same strikes in TradeHawk and Etrade and the credit amount was different significantly (51.00 vs 53.30). Then I noticed that SPXW quote on TradeHawk is actually delayed. It doesn't match with the one from ETrade. Then I compared quotes from Yahoo and TradeHawk is really delayed. 

Then I went ahead and put the same limit order in both accounts and the on Etrade filled for the same credit but the one TradeHawk is not filling even if I lower the amount of credit to 52.5

Anyone noticed this with TradeHawk? It seems like this is the issue with SPX only since I compared other stock quotes and they matched.

Sometimes you have to specify SPXW from SPX. At least in IB there is a dropdown box where that is done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cuegis said:

Sometimes you have to specify SPXW from SPX. At least in IB there is a dropdown box where that is done.

Yes I did specify SPXW. I was able to talk to customer rep. and he said their index data is delayed but option prices are live. But I still don't understand why ETrade can fill the same order for 53.30 credit but the order TradeHawk is sitting there even after I lowered it to 52.5 (and the mid values are not the same even if the rep. says option prices are live)

 Looks like I should avoid trading indexes on TradeHawk and do SPY only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Seth H said:

Yes I did specify SPXW. I was able to talk to customer rep. and he said their index data is delayed but option prices are live. But I still don't understand why ETrade can fill the same order for 53.30 credit but the order TradeHawk is sitting there even after I lowered it to 52.5 (and the mid values are not the same even if the rep. says option prices are live)

 Looks like I should avoid trading indexes on TradeHawk and do SPY only. 

Using SPY would be one way of a workaround.

It has the most liquidity.

But, if you are trading larger sizes it isn't cost effective because you have to do 10 to equal 1 SPX.

 

I like using ES because , along with excellent liquidity, I like to have access 23 hours a day.

Time = money and opportunity, and 23 hours vs 6 1/2 hours is a real advantage.

 

I don't know if your broker has access to ES and/or if it is live.

 

For some delayed quotes, if you just want to know where the underlying is, as a reference point, you can google up some other sites, like yahoo and others, that will show live quotes so that you at least know what is going on in real time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no luck with Tradier because they don't accept Australians. They also said no to Canadians (my wife's Canadian) and the UK:  

No, we cannot open accounts for the UK, Canada and Australia.

It's not easy finding a brokerage from Australia, IB only allow cash accounts (no margin) for individuals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, davidc said:

I had no luck with Tradier because they don't accept Australians. They also said no to Canadians (my wife's Canadian) and the UK:  

No, we cannot open accounts for the UK, Canada and Australia.

It's not easy finding a brokerage from Australia, IB only allow cash accounts (no margin) for individuals. 

If your wife is Canadian, why not IB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how Tradier handles margin breaches (e.g. after an assignment)? Do they issue a margin call and let you add cash to your account, or do they just auto-liquidate after 10 minutes like IB?

I am currently with IB and their forced liquidation policy makes me nervous. Every time the short leg of my spread moves ITM I have the feeling that I am playing with fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Arthur said:

Does anyone know how Tradier handles margin breaches (e.g. after an assignment)? Do they issue a margin call and let you add cash to your account, or do they just auto-liquidate after 10 minutes like IB?

I am currently with IB and their forced liquidation policy makes me nervous. Every time the short leg of my spread moves ITM I have the feeling that I am playing with fire.

Don't get overly worried about the short leg of a spread... as long as it has time premium in it, nobody is going to exercise it..

The only time to start getting concerned is if it becomes VERY deep ITM and there is no time premium left.

But if it just starts to go slightly ITM, you may be getting worried for no reason.

If it is a call that is deep ITM, then compare the time value of that option to the dividend on the stock, and when the next ex-dividend date is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To those who have played with the Tradier API: can I create an order using it but not place it until I've verified it in Tradier's web UI? One of the things I love about IB is that I can programmatically submit an order using their API with "transmit: false" and the order shows up in TWS but isn't live yet. I can then verify the strikes/price looks correct and place and adjust the price using the TWS UI.

Is this an option with Tradier? I notice their docs mention preview order functionality, but it's unclear to me if that will actually show up in their UI or not. I could potentially implement a hack where I submit orders with prices that won't allow them to fill (e.g. buy for nothing or sell for a very large amount), but even that makes me pretty nervous in the event I've gotten the strikes wrong. Thanks for any insight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, ex3y7s said:

To those who have played with the Tradier API: can I create an order using it but not place it until I've verified it in Tradier's web UI? One of the things I love about IB is that I can programmatically submit an order using their API with "transmit: false" and the order shows up in TWS but isn't live yet. I can then verify the strikes/price looks correct and place and adjust the price using the TWS UI.

Is this an option with Tradier? I notice their docs mention preview order functionality, but it's unclear to me if that will actually show up in their UI or not. I could potentially implement a hack where I submit orders with prices that won't allow them to fill (e.g. buy for nothing or sell for a very large amount), but even that makes me pretty nervous in the event I've gotten the strikes wrong. Thanks for any insight!

Following up and answering my own question here, it turns out you can actually just open a url with some appropriate query parameters in it and it will prepopulate the order fields in their UI: https://developer.tradier.com/documentation/overview/trade-link. Not bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you using Tradier, have you been seeing a lot of your closed position Gains/Losses designated as a Wash Sale on Apex Clearing? I am always tracking my P/L using the Cost Basis report from Apex and there are too many Wash Sale positions and as a result, some trades are shown as closed for a loss, like our recent FB RIC. 

Any thoughts? Has this wash sale issue been discussed somewhere? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 11:40 AM, Arthur said:

Does anyone know how Tradier handles margin breaches (e.g. after an assignment)? Do they issue a margin call and let you add cash to your account, or do they just auto-liquidate after 10 minutes like IB?

I am currently with IB and their forced liquidation policy makes me nervous. Every time the short leg of my spread moves ITM I have the feeling that I am playing with fire.

@krisbee @SBatch Do you guys have experience with Tradier margin calls?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Arthur said:

@krisbee @SBatch Do you guys have experience with Tradier margin calls?

Yes - most often it is an issue with Apex calculating incorrect margin on spreads.  They are extremely understanding.  If it is a true margin call they will give you a full three days to liquidate your account or deposit cash to bring into compliance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, SBatch said:

Yes - most often it is an issue with Apex calculating incorrect margin on spreads.  They are extremely understanding.  If it is a true margin call they will give you a full three days to liquidate your account or deposit cash to bring into compliance.

Do you have experienc how (tradier, tradestation, IB) they handle assigned calendar or diagonal spreads?

From the risk side nothing has changed to before assignment but now you are short on buying power.

I had a long diagonal on uvxy on xmas with a positive spread of 10 hedging my short position and so far succesfully saclping the theta decay but tradestation liquidated my short stock despite the hedge long calls. Being short in buing power I could not buy back the stock and sell another call even though I knew it would just bei a short lived spike.

I did not get assigned on tradier so I do not know how they would have handled it.

If you have to just buy back the options you might miss out on the underlying moving back to your long position.

Do the let you buy back the short stock and sell the same strike with e.g. further expiration even if you are short in buying power due to the assigned short stock?

Thank you for your experience and advice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, urfiend said:

Do you have experienc how (tradier, tradestation, IB) they handle assigned calendar or diagonal spreads?

From the risk side nothing has changed to before assignment but now you are short on buying power.

I had a long diagonal on uvxy on xmas with a positive spread of 10 hedging my short position and so far succesfully saclping the theta decay but tradestation liquidated my short stock despite the hedge long calls. Being short in buing power I could not buy back the stock and sell another call even though I knew it would just bei a short lived spike.

I did not get assigned on tradier so I do not know how they would have handled it.

If you have to just buy back the options you might miss out on the underlying moving back to your long position.

Do the let you buy back the short stock and sell the same strike with e.g. further expiration even if you are short in buying power due to the assigned short stock?

Thank you for your experience and advice

I do not have experience under this scenario. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy and free!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.