SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Tradier Brokerage Special Offer

699 posts in this topic

I already setup an individual account but they won't allow ach transfers from my bank because it's a joint account with my wife while the tradier account is in my name only. I also have an IB account as backup. What are  your views on the trading platform issues?

5 minutes ago, mrw02536 said:

I already setup an individual account but they won't allow ach transfers from my bank because it's a joint account with my wife while the tradier account is in my name only. I also have an IB account as backup. What are  your views on the trading platform issues?

That's strange because I did ACH setup exactly in same situation although I have not tried to use it yet. I just wired funds because of their stupid 10K per day requirements. The trading platform (Tradier website) is very basic and I haven't used it yet but should be considered as a last resort. I use TradeHawk which is quite easy and has some nice features. I haven't noticed (in a limited time I've been with them) and fill quality issues. The commission savings are significant.

Just now, anand331 said:

That's strange because I did ACH setup exactly in same situation although I have not tried to use it yet. I just wired funds because of their stupid 10K per day requirements. The trading platform (Tradier website) is very basic and I haven't used it yet but should be considered as a last resort. I use TradeHawk which is quite easy and has some nice features. I haven't noticed (in a limited time I've been with them) and fill quality issues. The commission savings are significant.

Tradier website is very handy. This is what I do with it now, I create all GTC trades with price way up or way down according to the strategy.

From iphone, it's so easy to edit price and place again. It shows portfolio value, can place easy straddles from phone. I did EBAY straddles that way, it's very good to do these things.

We get great benefits on commission, so adapting to the system is okay for me.

1 minute ago, krisbee said:

Tradier website is very handy. This is what I do with it now, I create all GTC trades with price way up or way down according to the strategy.

From iphone, it's so easy to edit price and place again. It shows portfolio value, can place easy straddles from phone. I did EBAY straddles that way, it's very good to do these things.

Don't you have to reconstruct combo orders for closing your positions? I agree that it is doable but definitely not desirable. I don't trade via phone so agree that this simple basic stuff prolly works better on phones.

1 minute ago, mrw02536 said:

Does anyone have multiple accounts (IRA and non-IRA)? Wonder if the $40.00 unlimited applies to both or if you have to pay $40.00 for each one??

I was told before it's $40 per account.

5 minutes ago, krisbee said:

My only issue with this approach is that depending on your position sizing it could eat up all your buying power quickly even for orders that don't end up with a realistic chance of going through. Interactive Brokers lets you place multiple orders for "lucky fills" and if your buying power diminishes to where subsequent orders can't get filled, they are rejected. If there were a way to take advantage of this with Tradier I would want to know.

whenever I'm near computer, I create GTC orders. and maintain from phone. Even placing combo order is not tough if we are following SO alert.

It's good enough for me to manage thru phone.

In bad case scenario, i'd call customer service to place order, it's 10$ for their assistance. IB straddles are way more than that when I look at my history.

1 minute ago, Sirion said:

I was told before it's $40 per account.

3 minutes ago, mrw02536 said:

Does anyone have multiple accounts (IRA and non-IRA)? Wonder if the $40.00 unlimited applies to both or if you have to pay $40.00 for each one??

I have a taxable and Roth IRA account. I pay $40 from each, and there is an additional $60 fee that comes out of my taxable account to pay platform fees for TradeHawk for use with both accounts. I do not have infinite equity trades with TradeHawk, just options due to the SO discount (which is fine by me as I prefer IB for stock/equity)

4 minutes ago, mrw02536 said:

It is per account. You could sign up for TradeHawk's unlimited trades plan (I think $199 per month total). That I think covers unlimited trading over all accounts. Please double check from TradeHawk's site since I am recalling these numbers from a few days back.

This firm seem like amateurs. I want to move a Fidelity IRA over. The account as a Fidelity money market as a core account but Tradier says they can't transfer it unless it's cash!!

It's a core account and for all practical purposes it is cash. Tradier uses a 3rd party for ACAT transfers and everything has to be done on paper forms. I did a similar transfer to e-trade all online with no problem. 

Can Tradier be trusted? Are there concerns about their viability for the future. I don't get the feeling that they are on top of things.

56 minutes ago, DrBG said:

I have a taxable and Roth IRA account....

@DrBG Are you able to trade Spreads in your Roth account with Tradier?  How about the typical SO hedged straddle/strangle setup?  I'm in the process of opening a Roth account with them, and the online application wouldn't let me choose Level 3 trading (spreads, etc), nor would it let me specify a Margin Acct - it forced me to pick Level 2, Cash Acct. (I am familiar with the special margin restrictions on IRAs but with other brokers I've used I haven't faced this issue.)

3 minutes ago, skydragon said:

@DrBG Are you able to trade Spreads in your Roth account with Tradier?  How about the typical SO hedged straddle/strangle setup?  I'm in the process of opening a Roth account with them, and the online application wouldn't let me choose Level 3 trading (spreads, etc), nor would it let me specify a Margin Acct - it forced me to pick Level 2, Cash Acct. (I am familiar with the special margin restrictions on IRAs but with other brokers I've used I haven't faced this issue.)

Yes--I recall being confused by the same issue and someone pointed me in the right direction on this forum.

Basically just email their customer service. They have a Docusign type form that gives an IRA agreement with Apex Clearing for use of limited margin. This allows level 3 access with Roth IRA accounts. Kinda necessary, otherwise buying power issues will eat you up everywhere.

I remember we recently discussed with Tradier Tradehawk what if partial fill happens & we need to change price change.

At that time I recall we have to cancel and place order again.

Today, I was closing Hedgedstraddle ALL 4 legs together for a price which partially got filled.

I clicked on the price, changed it and send it to orders again. It works just like IB, we no need to cancel and replace order. 

I'm happy with it. 

FYI for new tradehawk traders.

Just now, Stanislav said:

@krisbee, thanks! Next time you have partially filled order, try to modify it via web interface, it would be interesting to know whether TradeHawk developers made some modifications to their software, or maybe it's some new fixes on Tradier/APEX part.

I think I did it.

Once the order is placed, I think we cannot change the contracts numbers. 

On 1/11/2018 at 2:24 AM, ChadK said:

You see if you are filled, change the limit price, or cancel the order via the Tradier web interface.

To roll, adjust the trade, or enter a closing order, I use ONE to send the order to Tradier, but then have to modify the side appropriately, as all of the orders come in as "to open".  If you are closing any/all legs, you need to modify the leg(s) in the Tradier web interface after you sent the order to it from ONE.

2All ONE customers: I filed a Feature Request to ONE to calculate automatically "To Open" / "To Close" based on Pos column for all legs when ONE sends an order to Tradier. Please, vote for the feature. Let's make ONE a little bit more Tradier-friendly.

P.S. I found TradeHawk eats too much CPU, so did not like it much. Decided to use ONE to trade both IB and Tradier accounts.

Tradier: automatically set "Buy to Close", "Sell To Close" for closing legs.

ONE_Feature_Request.png 

6 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

2All ONE customers: I filed a Feature Request to ONE to calculate automatically "To Open" / "To Close" based on Pos column for all legs when ONE sends an order to Tradier. Please, vote for the feature. Let's make ONE a little bit more Tradier-friendly.

P.S. I found TradeHawk eats too much CPU, so did not like it much. Decided to use ONE to trade both IB and Tradier accounts.

Tradier: automatically set "Buy to Close", "Sell To Close" for closing legs.

UPD: I've just received notification with reply from Tradier support: "This is already available in our latest beta release. Please contact our support department for download instructions. Thank you.". Cool!

I have just got an account setup at Tradier and would like to test TradeHawk. I saw somewhere in the thread that SteadyOptions members can subscribe for $ 49 but on their website it is $ 59. Anyone knows what to subscribe in order get the lower fees?

4 hours ago, Stanislav said:

@mustafaoe, yes current TradeHawk Pro subscription costs $59. As far as I know initial $49 price is no longer available - that was an unofficial price some people got before TradeHawk put official TradeHawk Pro offering on Tradier web site.

Thanks for the update.

my observation with Tradier customer service.

All they ask is account #. No security question checks, I even placed order by calling them, they didn't ask any identity related question. 

This is very risky.

Did you guys experienced the same?

13 minutes ago, mrw02536 said:

I just spoke with them and raised the issue. They don't seem too concerned. Maybe more calls would help

Not concerned? not sure if someone places way OTM 1 cent call of entire portfolio.. They have to do something on this.

52 minutes ago, krisbee said:

my observation with Tradier customer service.

All they ask is account #. No security question checks, I even placed order by calling them, they didn't ask any identity related question. 

This is very risky.

Did you guys experienced the same?

I don't have a Tradier account, but 3rd party web application needs to authenticate with Tradier maybe with something like OAuth, but then maybe the account number could be stored elsewhere via https://developer.tradier.com/documentation/user/get-profile ?

2 minutes ago, mrw02536 said:

Perhaps @sBatch can reply. I called apex and the told me all requests must come from Tradier. Kind of a dead end, I think .

Try to use the search function of the forum.

There is some posts like 

https://steadyoptions.com/forums/forum/topic/3318-tradier-brokerage-special-offer/?do=findComment&comment=90571

or this :

https://steadyoptions.com/forums/forum/topic/3318-tradier-brokerage-special-offer/?do=findComment&comment=82745

11 hours ago, Sonu said:

Is there any good mobile platform that works with Tradier ? I can't access desktop during office hours. Does Tradier offer good mobile platform? 

Unfortunately I have not found one. If I come across anything, I'll let you know.  I know a couple of the platforms were looking to develop that way, just don't know how far along that is.

Can anyone comment on the cons of Tradier?  It seems like a no-brainer given their commission structure versus the competition.  At the moment I am with Tastyworks.

As far as platform needs, I pretty much would like a web and mobile interface for managing orders when I am away from my PC.  I don't currently use any option analysis platforms but many have stressed the necessity of using one (Tradehawk, ONE, etc) especially when dealing with trade adjustments.

The biggest con for me is the lack of a good mobile platform. You can make trades through their web interface, but building spreads is a headache and very easy to mess up.  As long as you have access to one of the desktop platforms (Tradehawk and Trend are the ones I used, both great), I've been VERY happy with Tradier.

6 minutes ago, PGAmbrosio said:

Can anyone comment on the cons of Tradier?  It seems like a no-brainer given their commission structure versus the competition.  At the moment I am with Tastyworks.

As far as platform needs, I pretty much would like a web and mobile interface for managing orders when I am away from my PC.  I don't currently use any option analysis platforms but many have stressed the necessity of using one (Tradehawk, ONE, etc) especially when dealing with trade adjustments.

Hi @PGAmbrosio, I have been using Tradier with TradeHawk for almost a month and am quite happy with it. For many SO trades, especially calendars and low priced straddles/strangles, the commission advantage is unbeatable. Just a few things: Tradier does not have a mobile platform at this point. Also they don't support calendars (spreads with same expiration are okay) on cash settled products (SPX, VIX, RUT etc.). So I maintain my IB account and do such trades there. So far, I have not seen any fills/liquidity issues. We've had a few glitches with the platform but I have seen those with all other platforms I have used as well. Good luck!!