SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Tradier Brokerage Special Offer

700 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, mustafaoe said:

Is there any release update document or similar?

IMO we should hold updating to the latest version of tradehawk. I see some bugs, Example, after the order is filled it's not showing up in RISKs window where it shows all open positions.

3 minutes ago, mustafaoe said:

You are right, I just saw this as well. 

I got answer from the tradehawk. Here is the workaround

For now, go up above to right corner and click Positions tab, toggle over Strategies and Positions and then back to Positions.  this should show updates, but we will look into it.

Regarding fills on Tradier vs IB, I personally am keeping a portion of my portfolio at IB specifically for two reasons: Calendar fills, and trades where Tradier doesn't "properly" calculate margin. 

Regarding getting trade activity data in excel format from Apex, where do you go to do that? Somewhere in the tradier website?

I've been manually tracking based on open/close activity, if I can mash together an excel macro that could save me some time.

4 minutes ago, Sirion said:

Regarding fills on Tradier vs IB, I personally am keeping a portion of my portfolio at IB specifically for two reasons: Calendar fills, and trades where Tradier doesn't "properly" calculate margin. 

Regarding getting trade activity data in excel format from Apex, where do you go to do that? Somewhere in the tradier website?

I've been manually tracking based on open/close activity, if I can mash together an excel macro that could save me some time.

https://public-apps.apexclearing.com/session/#/login

I've had a chance to look at Dynamic Trend, and it's just not going to work for me. This is just my opinion, but the stripped down version has some issues.

First thing, I couldn't login. Contacted support they sent me my login and password through email, unsecured. The same login and password I already had and knew. Still could not login, contacted them again and never got a response. Finally able to login at the end of the day, nothing from them as to why.

The stripped down version removes almost everything I wanted. Strategy Builder, Risk Graph, Option Skew, Risk Graph are not there. I only trade using SO strategies, so not having these was already bad for me. If you trade stocks, their scanner is the most powerful scanner I've ever seen. It really blows away any other stock scanner out there. 

One other thing, it doesn't combine complex orders. This is a definite "no-go" for me. Not being able to see the complex order P/L is just not going to work for me.

1 hour ago, craigsmith said:

I've had a chance to look at Dynamic Trend, and it's just not going to work for me. This is just my opinion, but the stripped down version has some issues.

First thing, I couldn't login. Contacted support they sent me my login and password through email, unsecured. The same login and password I already had and knew. Still could not login, contacted them again and never got a response. Finally able to login at the end of the day, nothing from them as to why.

The stripped down version removes almost everything I wanted. Strategy Builder, Risk Graph, Option Skew, Risk Graph are not there. I only trade using SO strategies, so not having these was already bad for me. If you trade stocks, their scanner is the most powerful scanner I've ever seen. It really blows away any other stock scanner out there. 

One other thing, it doesn't combine complex orders. This is a definite "no-go" for me. Not being able to see the complex order P/L is just not going to work for me.

Risk graph is in the $30 version. 100% 

To access open your option chain, setup your legs, right click on them -> risk graph.

Additionally, from the account screen, you can check the box next to any legs (of same underlying) and right-click -> risk graph.  Unsure why you are not seeing it, but it is 100% in the $30 version as I've used it for over 6 months.

Strategy builder, option skew, and the ability to compare risk graphs are NOT in the $30 version and are very nice.  

6 hours ago, clems said:

Risk graph is in the $30 version. 100% 

To access open your option chain, setup your legs, right click on them -> risk graph.

Additionally, from the account screen, you can check the box next to any legs (of same underlying) and right-click -> risk graph.  Unsure why you are not seeing it, but it is 100% in the $30 version as I've used it for over 6 months.

Strategy builder, option skew, and the ability to compare risk graphs are NOT in the $30 version and are very nice.  

Sorry, yes, risk graph is there. 

Summary of most recent TradeHawk updates:

Option ticket

Clicking the bid ask or mid labels will follow the market as prices change

Added midpoint

Clicking the bid, ask or mid prices will populate the Price field

You can now select a strategy to apply your filled order too (if the order gets filled)

Buy open/close and Sell open/close will highlight with he correct order type.

Spread Ticket

The Flip function will now correctly mark the legs as open or close

Follow Market by clicking the Join, Mid or Trade labels

Portfolio Risk

Double click on line updates the wisp

View risk for positions, strategies or positions and strategies combined

Settings are automatically saved

New Chart

All settings except minutes and Date are automatically saved

All indicators are saved

Added 50 100 200 Ma

Added markers for MAs

Option to move the axis to the right

Multiple day view

8 hour time window on single day

Wisp

Fixed bug that displayed the wrong company name

Added number of days to expiration

Different color for weekly and regular expirations (Black background for regular)

Ability to select number of strikes displayed

Selection for pricing of options using last trade, mid point, bid, ask, open, high, low and close of the stack price

Watch List          

Added the ability for multiple watch lists

Last trade, bid, ask will highlight on an up or down tick

right click functions to update chart, wisp and stock ticket

Paper Trading

Paper trading is now available

On 3/1/2018 at 10:39 AM, krisbee said:

IMO we should hold updating to the latest version of tradehawk. I see some bugs, Example, after the order is filled it's not showing up in RISKs window where it shows all open positions.

I use mac, yesterday they kept a wrong installable. After I mentioned the issues, they kept the right one. So far everything seem to be working fine! no issues.

1 hour ago, SBatch said:

Summary of most recent TradeHawk updates:

Option ticket

Clicking the bid ask or mid labels will follow the market as prices change

Added midpoint

Clicking the bid, ask or mid prices will populate the Price field

You can now select a strategy to apply your filled order too (if the order gets filled)

Buy open/close and Sell open/close will highlight with he correct order type.

Spread Ticket

The Flip function will now correctly mark the legs as open or close

Follow Market by clicking the Join, Mid or Trade labels

Portfolio Risk

Double click on line updates the wisp

View risk for positions, strategies or positions and strategies combined

Settings are automatically saved

New Chart

All settings except minutes and Date are automatically saved

All indicators are saved

Added 50 100 200 Ma

Added markers for MAs

Option to move the axis to the right

Multiple day view

8 hour time window on single day

Wisp

Fixed bug that displayed the wrong company name

Added number of days to expiration

Different color for weekly and regular expirations (Black background for regular)

Ability to select number of strikes displayed

Selection for pricing of options using last trade, mid point, bid, ask, open, high, low and close of the stack price

Watch List          

Added the ability for multiple watch lists

Last trade, bid, ask will highlight on an up or down tick

right click functions to update chart, wisp and stock ticket

Paper Trading

Paper trading is now available

Thanks @SBatch for comprehensive release notes.

I've been contacted by ONE support and they offered me to test their new beta version with direct Tradier integration (no web browser anymore). Looks like ONE now sends orders directly to Tradier without intermediate browser web page. But after that orders are still supposed to be managed in Tradier web console.

So the same troubles as before if user wants to modify order price/quantity - cancel order, model and send a new one. At least they are improving Tradier integration - no intermediate Internet Explorer browser web page anymore. But it is not what I was hoping for..

P.S. I can not test all this completely for sure, as my Tradier account is at zero balance now. So I can only send an order which Tradier system then rejects.

UPD: Asked ONE support, they said native Tradier order management is being actively developed, and is going to be the part of upcoming release. So the future is bright, and we'll have ONE+Tradier usable at some point.

Edited by Stanislav

55 minutes ago, oma123777 said:

Hello, I just joined today. I have a question about Tradier. Do we pay $40 a month To Tradier for the unlimited trades commissions and also pay for another Option platform

as well as paying Tradier or do you trade directly through Tradier? Tradiers platform really isn't one, no info?

Thanks,

Mike 

3 minutes ago, siddharth310584 said:

Do you like their platform and do they do ira s ?

I have an IRA and no problems trading. The $40 month comes out of the IRA. The web platform is basic, no bells and whistles but usable. I've complained about this before but there is no easy way to keep track of profit and loss. Information is on Apex the clearing house but I'm still having difficulty figuring out profits on specific trades.

There were no issues transferring funds from my Fidelity IRA for free. I primarily trade SO using there web based platform without too much difficulty although their platform is very basic. My biggest complaint is not being able to follow my profit and losses on specific option trading. For example, I made a number of trades on MU and ultimately had to ask them to send me a summary of the trades to figure out if I was ahead or not. You can enroll in Apex Clearing house who holds the Tradier account and one you join  you can use your Tradier credentials to see reports. But the process is not clean. You can download these reports into Excel but there's work to be done to get at P/L. I've raised the issue with Tradier and while they claim to be working on it I suspect they have minimal technical support for such matters. Other than that I've had no problem and their tech support has been reasonable in answering questions. I did have a problem with PCLN when there was a symbol change. It seems all other brokers got the change in real time while there was a day's delay in Tradier so I had to do the trade by phone. With all of this you can't beat their unlimited trading for $40.00

Edited by mrw02536
chang

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I just moved from TD Ameritrade to Tradier.  I had 8 trades for a total cost of $135.62 in Sink or Swim.  Enough is enough!

are you trading from their web interface? I opened a small account to test it out couple weeks ago with my main one still at TDA. From commissions perspective there is no comparison obviously. The decision is whether you want to pay for sophistication/features/mobile with TDA or not. I negotiated a better deal with TDA, but it still doesn't come close.

9 minutes ago, aldem said:

are you trading from their web interface? I opened a small account to test it out couple weeks ago with my main one still at TDA. From commissions perspective there is no comparison obviously. The decision is whether you want to pay for sophistication/features/mobile with TDA or not. I negotiated a better deal with TDA, but it still doesn't come close.

I used the Sink or Swim platform to trade.  The SO trades were just too expensive.  I love trading the nondirectional SO way, so Tradier is the way to go.  I subscribe to CMLviz and may go with another platform.

I have three trades (straddles) that got caught up in a stock merger. There expiration dates were all moved up to today for a cash settlement. One trade was on etrade and their platform has been showing the adjustment since the merger. The other 2 are on Tradier and I had no idea about the merger until I received an email about an hour ago about expiring options. Nothing about this is flagged on there platform. $40 unlimited trades are great but there is a downside.

@mrw02536 I was rereading some of the Tradier posts, and still have come to the same conclusions about platforms.  Tradehawk, Trend (stripped down) and ONE are the platforms I'm seeing.  ONE seems to have limited trade execution for the time being.  Let me know if you come across anything promising, just funded my Tradier account with a small amount and gonna test it out soon.

I've been trading using the Tradier web platform which is ok. I just started using Medved for portfolio management. The free version seems to satisfy my needs but not for trading since you can't trade multi legged options 

I tried the stripped down version of Trend and it's a "no go" for me. The interface is beautiful, but everything they stripped out is something I wanted to use. 

Tradehawk is really good. They recently had an update that seems to have helped with some of the issues I was having. This software is how most other brokers software looks and feels. But, it's very limited in what it can do, so don't expect all the tools you get from IB or TOS.

Re taxes, I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a 1099 on the bottom of the E-Documents page at the tradier site.

To import it into Turbotax you need to log in to the Apex site, but it was easy to set up an account using your Tradier acct#.

Just wanted to give my initial impressions of Tradier + Tradehawk after two weeks.

I am liking the Tradehawk platform so far.  I'm doing only SO trades in here which has consisted of hedged straddles and iron butterflies.  Once you get the hang of entering orders, it becomes a fairly simple task.  I was using TastyWorks (TW) and TOS and really, placing orders is not a big deal.  Sure there are little things you may like about one platform or another but no deal-breakers here.  The biggest thing for me has been the Order Stager.  I'm pretty sure there isn't anything like this in TW; TOS I am not sure...but having a list of trades you are looking at with your target price vs the current price, has been a game changer for me.  It's help me keep an eye on prices/trades/ideas I otherwise would have forgot about and helps with getting a good entry price.  The other feature I was mainly interested in was some sort of risk graph profiling which is here in the "What-If" tab.  But as more I've got comfortable with these trades, I find myself looking at risk graph less.  Eventually, I hope to use ONE for that type analysis.  There are a lot of other features going on and some good quality-of-life things you would expect from a trading platform.  Main thing is it's working FOR ME and there are still a lot of things I need to check out.  

As far as Tradier, I don't think I would want to trade on just their web interface which is why I am using Tradehawk.  To me this means I won't be trading via mobile.  If I feel like a trade I want to place might need immediate attention down the line,  I'll place it on TW.  Tradier fills seem to be fine, though I have had no luck with the recent BKNG calendars.

All that being said, while $59/month (on top of the $40 flat fee for Tradier) might seem steep, I do think Tradehawk+Tradier is a solid platform that will take most of the trading volume from my TW account.  It is also a plus that their team (Lex) is constantly taking in feedback and working to improve the platform.

Anyone have a spread expire in the money (fully in the money, not just one side) on Tradier (ira account, specifically)? Any fees involved? Wondering if I should be willing to overpay a bit to close to avoid hassle.

7 hours ago, mustafaoe said:

I am from Germany and I have an account I am using Tradehawk. I think they should also accept Canadian or other user

I asked about chance for me who Indonesian resident to open an account and Tradier still cannot process my application. I wonder why Tradier could process applicant from EU resident. 

On 7/27/2017 at 11:42 PM, wr200m said:

Just signed up with Tradier - test traded here for two days. On top of the $40 flat monthly fee, from what I can tell in the commissions pdf report, per contract bought or sold, there is two other fees: Trans Fee and Additional fee, totaling about 10c per contract on average. I believe these are the "exchange regulatory fees and pass-thru fees"

This is what I feel about the product:

Pros:

• Execution for the most part is similar to that on IB
  • 10c a contract - economic for low-premium symbols/strategies
  • API is quite straightforward and capable, simple http request and response in XML. Easier to work with than for instance that of IB.

Cons:

• This is a so-called API brokerage. They have a primitive web interface that I suppose they don't really intend for you to trade with.
    • The interface is absolutely minimum for order management and position management. Not to mention the absence of any other brokerage client software features. You would be expected to link a supported order management application to Tradier or to build your own software.
    • For instance, with the minimalist interface, on order entry, you would have to enter each leg (expiration, strike, side, qty) in a combo, and when you modify - you only get to modify the price. No chance to modify quantity or side, or the combo setup.
    • Position management -
      • after execution on the interface you no longer see the combo position. It's broken into pieces
      • No place to download trade executions, as you would from the interactive broker's flex report interface. I would imagine for larger and numerous positions, traders would have to rely on their own software (home made API clients or an OMS app) in order to journal the trades. 

Support is okay for a small firm. The turnaround for my technical questions is about 24 hours. But when their system had issues - Tradier backend was not responsive to order modification for half-hour on 2nd day of my trading after market open, they did not send notification or display the issue on their web. A broker had to help me change the order on the phone.

Overall, I don't think one can rely on Tradier as a brokerage alone. But with appropriate software or tools, it's a worthwhile broker for some of SO trades to help with commissions.

I tried Tradier for a while. On SPX options they charged a "Add'l Fee" of $0.58 and a "Tran Fee" of $0.04 apart from the commission. I mailed with the servicedesk about this and they said the $40 a month flat-fee only applies to the commission. So for SPX options you have to pay $0.62 per contract apart from the monthly fee.

Is this fee only this high for index options ? Can someone tell me if all other options are charged for $0.10 ?

1 hour ago, Hielke said:

I tried Tradier for a while. On SPX options they charged a "Add'l Fee" of $0.58 and a "Tran Fee" of $0.04 apart from the commission. I mailed with the servicedesk about this and they said the $40 a month flat-fee only applies to the commission. So for SPX options you have to pay $0.62 per contract apart from the monthly fee.

Is this fee only this high for index options ? Can someone tell me if all other options are charged for $0.10 ?

Tradier passes through all mandatory exchange, OCC and regulatory fees.  In most cases this amounts to just under .10 a contract.  In the case of Index Options such as SPX there is an additional CBOE exchange fee that is passed through.