SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

jerrodmason

"Sort by" option needed

Unlike every other site, by default SO forum postings are presented in chronological order, with the oldest shown first. Some forums, but not all, allow the user to specify a sort order. I find this very clumsy and time-consuming, and plead for the following changes:

1. Provide the SortBy button on every page of every forum

2. Keep the user's latest choice as the default.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, jerrodmason said:

Unlike every other site, by default SO forum postings are presented in chronological order, with the oldest shown first. Some forums, but not all, allow the user to specify a sort order. I find this very clumsy and time-consuming, and plead for the following changes:

1. Provide the SortBy button on every page of every forum

2. Keep the user's latest choice as the default.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried clicking "view new content" ? This might be helpful to you.

image.png.e5d2e68353abda20a6b63528acb88b72.png

This was discussed many times.

The sort option is not configurable by members, and most forums sort the posts from the oldest to newest, with no option to configure by users.

btw, this applies only to posts inside the topics, the topics can be sorted.

image.png

I don't mean to be argumentative, but that's not very satisfying. If this issue has been discussed many times, doesn't that suggest a need that should be addressed instead of summarily dismissed?

Here's a timely example of a topic that has no "SortBy" capability. One can navigate to the last page, but that would be presented in chronological order.

image.png

1 minute ago, jerrodmason said:

To Krisbee and Yowster: Thanks for the tip. I guess that will have to do.

regards, J

I get your initial point, but Kim had mentioned in prior discussions on this topic that there would be some technical issues with the forum software provider in making changes.   The view new content button is a good compromise.   Also, when reading older discussions for education/research, it is nicer to read them in chronological order.

30 minutes ago, jerrodmason said:

I don't mean to be argumentative, but that's not very satisfying. If this issue has been discussed many times, doesn't that suggest a need that should be addressed instead of summarily dismissed?

Here's a timely example of a topic that has no "SortBy" capability. One can navigate to the last page, but that would be presented in chronological order.

image.png

Your example applies to posts inside the topic - as I mentioned, topics can be sorted by not posts. This is how it works in most forums and the forum software doesn't allow users to change it. It can be changed to be sorted from new to old for all members, but most members didn't want it this way when it was discussed a while ago (search function might help to find the discussion).

When a new post is posted, clicking on "Go to This Post" will take you directly to that last post.Go to this post

The "View New Content" functionality is mentioned in How To Use The Forum which is part of "Must Read Topics" - I encourage members to review all topics in this list. They are called "Must read" for a reason.