SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Reddit user who helped inspire GameStop mania lost $13 million on Tuesday

5 minutes ago, Kim said:

Reddit user who helped inspire GameStop mania says he lost $13 million on Tuesday, but is still holding.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/02/reddit-user-who-helped-inspire-gamestop-mania-says-he-lost-13-million-on-tuesday-but-is-still-holding-on.html

Is it Karma? I would think so..

Well he did make 33M$ before so overall he comes out ahead. Nevertheless some of the best advice I ever read was that IF you can safeguard your future you should and avoid the 'back to pa's gas station' syndrome.

If I may.  I have been listening to the biz news on GME.  I actually have 4 Millennials living around the world, one living in Europe has a highly skilled immigrant.  From Europe, South America and Western Canada, my sons told me a week ago.  This isn’t a trade.  This is the Millennials protesting from their computers, not rioting on the streets that since 2008 they are the lost generation.  I would suggest that from my viewing on this GME trade on CNN, BLOOMBERG and CNBC.  The old white privileged baby boomers like me and those giving their opinion, may just have missed the point.  These young people don’t care about the money, they make it from their home 24/7.  It’s a revolution by our kids

8 minutes ago, Troy Mclure said:

If I may.  I have been listening to the biz news on GME.  I actually have 4 Millennials living around the world, one living in Europe has a highly skilled immigrant.  From Europe, South America and Western Canada, my sons told me a week ago.  This isn’t a trade.  This is the Millennials protesting from their computers, not rioting on the streets that since 2008 they are the lost generation.  I would suggest that from my viewing on this GME trade on CNN, BLOOMBERG and CNBC.  The old white privileged baby boomers like me and those giving their opinion, may just have missed the point.  These young people don’t care about the money, they make it from their home 24/7.  It’s a revolution by our kids

Sorry to burst your bubble but any interview with Gill will show you he did it for the money, and good luck to him. Where there is a sweet vengeance is that the pump and dump crowd in the hedgefunds got royally scalped. Shorters arent all bad but those who start a rumour mill and self-fulfill their prophecies are noting short of crooks themselves. They started zeroing in on small companies overlooking the fact that retail investors with options can move share-prices. In fact SO users sometimes move - if only briefly - stock market prices when we pile into a trade. The larger the community the greater your power to leverage - short squeezes are just another expression of the old adage: 'The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay liquid.' courtesy of social media the small guy is now mobilisable in the same manner as the bad shorters used to mobilise vested Wall Street interests.

Nothing millennial about it and in fact Gill isnt one either.

Let me get this straight.

This guy encouraged all his followers to buy all the way to $483, then sold part of his holdings to those same followers. Last time I checked, it's called pump and dump.

One of their goals is to bankrupt the billionaires. But no, it's not about money. What exactly they are protesting against?

And if it's not about money, how about Gill gives some of his gains to those poor "investors" who followed his advice and bought GME at $483? And now he advises them not to sell because it's deeply undervalued at $90?

Here is a story of one of those "investors":

https://www.reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/lazcak/what_gme_has_taught_me_in_36_hours_of_day_trading/

And yea, a "great community", where people respect each other, are civilized and help each other.

image.png

image.png

@TrustyJules a fascinating story indeed, thanks for sharing.

To be honest, I didn't follow the story too closely. I don't really care how much money other people make. But in my opinion, the big picture is still the same, no matter how they did it. It was a pure short squeeze, but Gill continued to claim that the stock is undervalued all the way up and encouraged his followers to buy while selling his holdings to them. 

And if it was a protest, I'm really not sure what exactly they are protesting against. It became very popular to hate "wealthy" people. But some people "forget" how many jobs those wealthy people like Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos create and how some of them change the world. 

The bottom line is that the only one who was guaranteed to make money in this story was Gill. For him it was a no risk trade. For everyone else it was a pure gamble. I feel sorry for people who bought the stock at $400+, but at least it should be a good lesson for them.

@TrustyJules Great explanation of the logistics behind the short squeeze and how options and delta hedging by the MMs were a big part of it.   I tried to explain this to several people with zero or minimal options knowlege but try as I might it never really sank in.    I think the vast majority of the people will never understand all the moving parts that factored into what happened and why it happened so quickly.

3 minutes ago, Yowster said:

@TrustyJules Great explanation of the logistics behind the short squeeze and how options and delta hedging by the MMs were a big part of it.   I tried to explain this to several people with zero or minimal options knowledge but try as I might it never really sank in.    I think the vast majority of the people will never understand all the moving parts that factored into what happened and why it happened so quickly.

Totally agree and if you see people now moaning that Robin Hood and the rest sold out. Consider that in the extreme GME could have collapsed the whole market. The presumption has been that by closing the opportunity to place trades the purpose was to shake out stocks from the retail investors so that funds could cover their shorts. This sounds very plausible and Robin Hood & Co didnt sell out at all. They simply participated in a necessary correction of an aberration namely the situation that a short - no matter how reckless - would be unable to cover their position. After all eventually the shorter can go bankrupt after which it would be up to the brokers, MM and clearing companies to resolve. However without stocks to do so this is not possible.

In the Porsche-VW case the German regulator BAFIN forced Porsche to release the necessary shares. When you think about that its really strange, the government turning up at your door and saying: you must sell your shares! The old stick in the mud Ferdinand Piech who ran Porsche SE certainly wasnt keen to do so but they had to. There was just no way in which the positions could be cleared otherwise. VW's price would have been bid up to infinity and every clearing house and MM would have been pulled under with them. Robin Hood & the others were in the same predicament except that they had to shake out the retail investors in this case. Kudos to TastyWorks they didnt go along but you can be sure that if they had been the primary source of the long positions in GME the regulator would have come knocking harder on their door too.

There is a very real danger to the clearing houses , and it's customers, during an extreme case like this.

When I was trading on Comex in the 80's, during one of the gold short squeezes, one of the main clearing firms that cleared most of the members went bust and it affected accounts held there which caused increased regulation. I think this was the catalyst for the creation of the SPAN margining system that is still used today for futures/futures options.

What caused the squeeze, during this one event, was one floor trader who over the past year of a bear market in gold, just sold OTM calls every month and they expired worthless. He kept doing it, and increasing his size, where he eventually reached the exchanges "member limit" of 4000 options. 

When that wasn't enough for him he purchased 3 more seats for his wife, brother in law etc. so he could get to 12,000 short OTM calls.

At his peak he had amassed around $50 million which, in 1983 for an individual floor trader, was a LOT of money for 1 year.

You can guess how this ended up.

Did he really think the metals dealers "upstairs" wouldn't know what is happening?

I remember it clearly. Gold, which was around $240, had had a "normal" day's trading range of $2-$3. Then one day it was up $10 which was out of the ordinary and he sold more calls.

The next day it was up $30 and went into a GME type parabolic rise to $500+ over the next few days causing a $26 million margin call.

He left his clearing house "holding the bag" and was apprehended at JFK trying to flee the country with suitcases full of cash.

Here's the story.....

Whether it's the "Optionsellers/Cordier" story, GME, or this one, it's comes around with different players when the last memory fades.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-05-20-fi-16632-story.html