SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

JeffD

Recap after 6 weeks of Steady Options

@JeffD

Thanks for sharing your experience! I think it is very helpful, especially for new members.

I must say that you were very lucky with your transfer. Some members shared their experience while transferring money to IB that it took 3 weeks! And during all that time the account was locked and they could not trade. Potentially could be a cause if huge losses.

Overall, you did very well, considering all the mistakes and circumstances. And sharing your mistakes should help others, so thank you for that.

The most important lesson is in your last sentence:

bottom line, I have had a blast, learned a ton, and I didn't lose money!  But now I realize this will take years to learn.

If you came to this understanding after 6 weeks, then I feel I did my job well. 

I welcome feedback from other new members. Those are among the most valuable topics for new members.

Just to add to Jeff D's comments

I have been a member for coming on two years now and also have made a lot of mistakes. My main ones were holding thru earnings because I didn't have a system for keeping on top of the dates. What I do now is review every morning what GTC orders I have in and adjust if stock prices have moved. I then look at all my open positions and check against my manual list of all the earnings dates of my trades and orders. I keep a log of all my trades the same as Kim does for his performance every month. My results are getting better all the time. Jan 18 was my best month yet. I did about 15 trades and got approximately the same results as Kim overall. 14% return in 1 month  !!!!. I am very much enjoying the service and learning all the time from Kim and all the mentors and members. In Jan my main winners were IBM Hedged straddle, SVXY diagonal, LLY straddle, Msft hedged straddle, EBAY sraddle, FB calendar, TLT butterfly trade, Jnj hedged straddle, Goog calendar, sbux straddle, GS straddle. All these winners were above 10% and LLY was as high as 60%. I had losers NFLX  Calendar, FDX, CSX Calendar,Ual calendar and Qcom straddle and one big mistake where I held WBA  thru earnings while travelling and not been on top of the earnings dates.  Many thanks to all of the community for all your help.

I have been with SO from the beginning. That's 6 years. 

There is nothing like it - but it takes some time to start to fully appreciate it. I see some members complaining that they cannot get good fills after being members for just few weeks. I feel bad for them. They need to treat it as business and understand that good things take time to develop. But after you do similar setups for few cycles, you become familiar with the strategies, and learn to anticipate the next trades. Many veteran members post their trades in the unofficial forum - it's a great source of new trades.

My advice to new members: just stock around for at least 1 year. You won't regret it.

I only started 1st week of Jan. 2018 and SO is allowing me to bring my trading to the next level.

After becoming extremely annoyed that I was hardly getting filled with any of the official trades with the exception of the losing trades like UAL and a couple of the SVXY trades (down $1600 at one point) I took matters into my own hands and thanks to @Kim documenting all his trades and @Christof+ with AOT I was able to reverse engineer a basic set of rules for the straddles and calendars.

And thanks to @Yowster, @RapperT, @Djtuxand @Maji I've been able to continuously fine tuning my rules. I think I'm only down about  $500 at this point. 

A big *Thank You* to Kim, the mentors and the community making  comments while I stick my neck out making my own trades.

Edited by drcruz