SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Maxtodorov

Prices on SPY Mini Options vs Regular

Hi Everyone, 

I have found something that I can not figure out. I am looking at bid and ask prices for SPY mini vs. regular options. I would think that considering that mini is simply 1/10 of a regular option contract, that the bid/ask prices would be same. However it seems that the prices are different. At the same time, the implied bid/ask volatility seems to be identical. Two questions come to mind: 

1. Is there potential arbitrage opportunity. (getting 10 mini, shorting 1 regular)?

2. Why implied bid/ask volatility is listed same, but the prices are different?

post-84-0-44414600-1370475179_thumb.jpg

Interesting topic.  On the arbitrage opportunity, I think the trading commissions would eat up any potential small gain.  In your example it would be 11 x 2 = 22 total contract trades to enter and exit the spread.

if you ever find a situation where you can buy a mini option with the same strike and maturity as a regular option at a lower price than you can sell the other one you have indeed an arbitrage. I doubt that will ever happen though and if it does some machine will be a million times quicker than you to spot it and exploit the error someone else made. however seems in above screen shot the minis are just wider. Including the 10 x higher fees that makes it very expensive to trade these minis!