SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

capper

Seeking Advice on SHOP Covered Calls Today

I am just looking for some feedback on this.  I own 500 shares of Shopify (SHOP) on the TSE.  I sold 5 covered calls on them, all to expire tomorrow.  2 of them @ 67 strike price and 3 of them @ 70 strike price.  The stock is up 23.7% on teh day currently and @ 78.00 as I type this.  Should I roll any of them?  Should I just let them be taken from me?  Or should I close them out?  Any advice is appreciated!  FYI, I bought 200 of them @ $65.00 and the other 300 @ $64.50 / share.  I am wondering what the best course of action would be in this situation...!

You can roll to higher strike if you believe that the stock is going higher. I would definitely not close them because you would be closing for a loss (likely), and if the stock retreats, nothing will protect it. If you let them expire, they would be automatically exercised and be offset by the long stock. 

Thanks for clarifying and laying it out for me.  Yes, I am aware of the options, just not sure which one to take!  I chose to let it sit overnight and I'll see where it's at in tomorrow's final trading day before expiration.  I'll probably let it get assigned unless I can roll some of them at a very reasonable price.  Thanks