SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

akroma

Hello all!

Hi all,

I just made my account after reading through some of the content on the website. So far I like what I see. I am a fairly independent thinker and don't take anything at face value, so I resonate with a lot that I have read on here so far. I used to be a professional poker player until I decided to switch careers when COVID hit. I had been burnt out on poker for a while and this was the perfect nudge to change directions. What I loved most about playing poker is dealing with probabilities. My favourite book to this day is Fooled by randomness (and the sequels), which I am sure most of you have read. 

I had been investing my poker winnings for the largest part of my career and I plan on maintaining that long term portfolio. As a part of my investing I decided to take a better look at options as I already knew they could improve my results. So I started writing puts on stocks I wanted to own anyways. That got me interested in options even more so I started watching youtube (admittedly, probably not the best source of knowledge) and bought a lot of books I could find on the topic. Some better than others (and some terrible). Here is a list of what I have read so far, maybe you all have some suggestios for further reading for me?

- Options trading for beginners - Rich Bond (Terrible book, waste of money imo) 

- The 3 best option strategies for beginners - Freeman publications (Not as bad as the previous book but not very good either) 

- How to price and trade options - Al Sherbin (Mostly seems like a good book to me, with my very limited knowledge)

- Option volatility and pricing - Sheldon Natenberg (not read yet)

- Options as a strategic investment - Lawrence Mcmillan (not read yet)

I am looking to learn a lot more about options and hopefully either supplement my income, or, in a best case scenario, make it my full time job. I loved the freedom as a poker player and I would love to regain it if possible. 

However, I would want to be sure that I could actually make it as a professional before dropping my job and income. So my first question is, how realistic is it to expect to be a profitable trader, making above market returns, putting in say 10-15 hours a week? 

Another question I had is: I see the steadyoptions course is currently closed for new members, how long is the waiting list and how long do new members usually have to wait before a spot opens for them? Also what limits the number of members?  

Thanks a lot in advance!

Akroma

PS: Feel free to ask me anything you want to know

Hello Akroma,

Regrading books - please take a look: Recommended reading

The list is not updated, but it's a good start.

Before dropping your day job, I would make sure that 1) you are consistently profitable for at least 2-3 years) 2) you are well capitalized.

SteadyOptions periodically closes to new members to make sure we provide the best customer service to the existing members.

Thank you for your reply Kim!

I am definitely not looking to go pro anytime soon. I became a pro poker player only after I was basically already there organically. I also do not expect this to happen overnight. I think poker professionals might be the closest profession to professional traders, so I think I have a decent idea of what it takes, although I am sure I will encounter many differences and surprises. 

I just went over the list and was a bit surprised by the Alexander Elder books. Is technical analysis something that is used much in trading at steadyoptions? 

Hey there! It's great to see someone else with experience in the world of gambling and probabilities. I used to enjoy playing card games myself and always found the math behind it fascinating. Have you found options to be a useful addition to your investment portfolio?