SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

birn

Newbie thoughts + some Monte Carlo

Hi folks, newbie here!

I'm familiar with the (most) basic options concepts from a (rather rusty) economics background, but haven't exactly traded anything before. More specifically, from what I gather, options offer potential for:

• generating yield, with defined risk (handy in a low yield environment)
  • cost-effective hedging, smoothing returns
  • profiting from falling markets
  • profiting from directional markets while limiting counterparty risk

The latter seems particularly compelling since the odds of a financial crisis in the medium-term seem significant. Creating 'synthetic' positions in trending assets using a modest asset allocation, keeping the remainder isolated from counterparty risk (eg as physical precious metals), offers a way to avoid two of the major impoverishment risks the current economic depression poses (counterparty failure and monetary debasement.)

The Steady Options returns also look extremely good (pity it's closed :/ ) and for due diligence/coding practice, I worked up Monte Carlo situations based on the published monthly returns (see jpg attached), which basically replicate* the CAGR/Sharpe ratios published on the site, but give an idea of the error bounds around them. I can post the (ugly Python) code used to do this somewhere if anyone's interested.

*The figures on the charts are medians + 90% confidence intervals based on 10,000 sets of monthly returns drawn (without replacement) from the series published here.

so_mc.jpg