SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

BadHairDay

Buy a Put on Russell 2000

Hi,

I am learning by Paper Trading in the "Think or Swim" software that comes with opening a TD Ameritrade account.  I'm looking to buy a Put on the Russell 2000, ticker RUT.  

I placed the Paper Trade this morning, around 11 am on Monday 30 Mar 20.  RUT was at about 1146.  

Here is what I have about the option:

Contract for 1

Price: 129.50

Strike: 1160

When I do "analyze trade" the graph pops up.  I made sure that the graph was for ONLY this option.  It shows: 

That when the stock hits 1160, I am at my maximum loss, of $12,950 on 1 Sept 20.  

That when the stock is at 1140, I am at a loss of $10,955 (and it changes by a few dollars every minute or so, as the market is open and the stock price is moving).

That when the stock is at 1030.50, I break even and have a profit/loss of $0.

That when the stock is at 930.3, I would be at a profit of $10,000.  

QUESTION:

Am I reading this right?
So I would have to put up $12,950, and in order to get my money back, I need RUT to drop to about 932?
I could double my money to $26,000 if RUT falls to 777.  So I get that I am basically buying that leverage.  777/1150 is 68%.  I would need RUT to drop by a full third, and that's as of today, but RUT has already dropped by about a third from it's high (1150/1700, it was at 1700 in Jan and Feb 2020).  

Here is a screen shot, if that helps.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

BHD

SSoption.png