SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

gowthamn

PM account vs low commissions

I have an account at Tradier and ToS.

With ToS I have portfolio margin account. I can buy around twice the number of contracts with the same margin at ToS because its Portfolio Margin. But its commissions are 0.5 per contract.

Since commissions cost around 2% to 2.5% of the profits with SO, I wanted to move to Tradier. But I can only buy half the number of contracts because its a Reg-T account. This means half the profits (and losses) for the same margin. 

Assuming 7.5% profit month with SO, the profits with ToS would be double at 15%. But commissions would take nearly 5%, making the profits 10% per month. So, it would be 10% on average with ToS and 7.5% on average with Tradier. So even though ToS has commissions, the advantage of a PM account outweighs it. 

Is my thinking correct or am I missing something?

I hope so too. But last month we had a 20%+ drawdown. If you had double number of contracts, your account would be down almost 50%. Are you willing to accept that kind of drawdown? Remember: to recover from a 50% drawdown you need a 100% gain.

4 minutes ago, Kim said:

I hope so too. But last month we had a 20%+ drawdown. If you had double number of contracts, your account would be down almost 50%. Are you willing to accept that kind of drawdown? Remember: to recover from a 50% drawdown you need a 100% gain.

Logically it is part of the probability distribution. We also had 18% profit months.

But emotionally I have to think and decide

Edited by gowthamn