SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Crazy ayzo

heart attack week on directional trades

I had a pretty amazing outcome to a terrifying week.  One way to learn the value of non-directional trades is to try the opposite.  All's well that ends well, but I almost had wear adult diapers on Wednesday.  I made about $24K, but selling naked puts nearly gave me a heart attack.

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.28.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.27.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.27.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.26.43 PM.png

Put selling is a good strategy, but position sizing is the key. Just don't sell too many contracts. Here is some further reading:

On 11/2/2018 at 4:36 PM, Crazy ayzo said:

I had a pretty amazing outcome to a terrifying week.  One way to learn the value of non-directional trades is to try the opposite.  All's well that ends well, but I almost had wear adult diapers on Wednesday.  I made about $24K, but selling naked puts nearly gave me a heart attack.

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.28.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.27.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.27.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-02 at 4.26.43 PM.png

How did you decide the direction to take?

@gowtham,

On the QQQs, I kept hearing in the market news the market is going to be volatile at least through the election.  I expected it to oscillate, so I took the straddles.  On opening the trade, I planned to sell both legs at a profit.  I should have stuck to my original strategy a little longer.

On netflix, I bought 500 shares at about the same time.  I sold a straddle.  My logic was that I wouldn't mind buying more NFLX at that price, or getting called out at the higher.

My June 19 '20 FB put was bought on the same day I bought 100 shares as downside protection on a long position, not an options gamble.  Sold it when I thought the market was down enough.

I bought the FB Nov 2 puts thinking I'd either be happy to own more FB at that price, or get paid the Put price.

AMZN Nov 2 put was the same logic as FB.

AMZN Nov 16 strangle seemed like a no brainer that the following days would bring more volatility after such a big drop.

I also bought puts on VXX mid last week that are doing nicely but still open.