SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

clipsnation183

TLRY trade idea

220 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, clipsnation183 said:

oct 19 115 10 dollar IF. This may not last long.

On the positive side, you are obviously risking zero.   One thing I noticed, given that the ATM 10 wide iron fly expiring next week is currently trading at 9.50, is that you are going to have to wait until the last day or two before expiration to realize any significant gains on this.

1 minute ago, clipsnation183 said:

Dude, I just got filled on a 30 lot for 10.58. Who's on the other side of this? I'm getting nervous. 

That's a guaranteed 5.8% profit (minus commissions).   Are you legging into this?   Hard to believe a 4 leg combo order would fill for a credit bigger than the spread width?

Just now, clipsnation183 said:

I just sold 135 butterflies. 

1 minute ago, Yowster said:

That's a guaranteed 5.8% profit (minus commissions).   Are you legging into this?   Hard to believe a 4 leg combo order would fill for a credit bigger than the spread width?

no just one order. 

Just now, Yowster said:

I got filled for 10.79 credit on the 105/115/125 iron butterfly in a single 4 leg order. I'm not sure what's going on or if i'm making a mistake.

Am I missing something here?

I'm assuming that because this is a relatively new-ish company, there isn't a huge dividend.

Why is it that , whenever it is at a strike, the put is almost double the price of the call (same strike).

The IV reflects that with 130 IV for the call, and 240 IV for the same strike put, with the same delta.

Is there stock available to short?

If so, you can easily do a conversion/reversal.

Sell put/buy call/sell stock and lock in a huge gain.

But, I'm guessing there isn't any short stock available.

1 minute ago, cuegis said:

Am I missing something here?

I'm assuming that because this is a relatively new-ish company, there isn't a huge dividend.

Why is it that , whenever it is at a strike, the put is almost double the price of the call (same strike).

The IV reflects that with 130 IV for the call, and 240 IV for the same strike put, with the same delta.

Is there stock available to short?

If so, you can easily do a conversion/reversal.

Sell put/buy call/sell stock and lock in a huge gain.

But, I'm guessing there isn't any short stock available.

Look at the crazy borrow rates.

image.png

2 minutes ago, Djtux said:

Look at the crazy borrow rates.

image.png

I figured it was something like this.

There is no free lunch.

But, because of the activity, you can setup dozens of butterflies and offer them at a price greater than the distance between the strikes, and have some chance of getting filled by having some fall through the cracks.

4 minutes ago, clipsnation183 said:

ended up with 400 butterflies and locked in 2K profit. I put in an order for a 1000 more flies but the broker put the kaibosh on me.  

You are buying a round at the first annual SO meetup :)

I'm not sure how you compute a gain% when your at-risk amount is a negative number?  :D    I thought I missed the boat, but I had some spreads fill at 10.50 credit about 20 mins before market close (after the order being open for almost an hour)..

1 minute ago, Yowster said:

I'm not sure how you compute a gain% when your at-risk amount is a negative number?  :D    I thought I missed the boat, but I had some spreads fill at 10.50 credit about 20 mins before market close (after the order being open for almost an hour)..

I'm stunned. Surely, this can't go on tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, NJ_KenRob said:

How often does something like this happen.

Are there certain situations or symbols that make it more likely to be able to get a fill like this?

Not at all often with today’s technology, this is a true anomaly.

4 minutes ago, NJ_KenRob said:

How often does something like this happen.

Are there certain situations or symbols that make it more likely to be able to get a fill like this?

Sky high IV (like 150%) combined with a stock price above $100 and decent trading volume made this scenario possible.    I looked at CGC as well (another marijuana stock) - its IV is only about 100% and its stock price is around $44, but the options prices didn't work out to get a fill above the width.

Just now, SBatch said:

Not at all often with today’s technology, this is a true anomaly.

I could understand a handful of spreads getting filled like this, but it sounds we got filled on hundreds of spreads at prices well above the width of the iron fly..... truly amazing!

This must be retail traders causing it - TastyWorks doesnt allow me to trade the stock and I am pretty sure a lot of institutions are probably barred legally or voluntarily from trading the stock., Without the pros such odd pricing occurs - the counterparties to the butterflies are surely not unique traders but multiple individuals.

I'm surprised that any of this fell through to the retail outlets.

Given the sophistication of technology, expertise ,and funding, of institutions like IB, GS etc. who have full time divisions of teams working at this every minute of everyday, you would have expected them to have sucked this anomoly dry today.