SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

cwelsh

RobinHood?

Has anyone on here had any experience with the Robinhood trading platform or service?  (https://robinhood.com/).  They claim trading options is commission free with no ticket charges (https://support.robinhood.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005706826-Getting-Access-to-Options).  I find it very hard to believe that they can actually stay in business doing that, but if it is true.....well that opens an entire world up and should improve performance.

I know nothing about these guys and was just floating it out there to see if any of the SO community did.

1 minute ago, cwelsh said:

Has anyone on here had any experience with the Robinhood trading platform or service?  (https://robinhood.com/).  They claim trading options is commission free with no ticket charges (https://support.robinhood.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005706826-Getting-Access-to-Options).  I find it very hard to believe that they can actually stay in business doing that, but if it is true.....well that opens an entire world up and should improve performance.

I know nothing about these guys and was just floating it out there to see if any of the SO community did.

We had some discussions on RH in the past (https://steadyoptions.com/forums/forum/topic/4169-robinhood-commissions-free-options-trading/?tab=comments#comment-89036).

I've used it in the past for my 'gamble' account (to keep it separate from my primary broker account). For now it's only an app (no desktop) so it's cubersome to enter the trades for me. I prefer a desktop application to enter my trades and follow all the positions.

They are working on a web version and free option pricing as well, but that remains to be seen when it's actually released for real.

There was an interview by Kirk but i haven't listened to it yet : https://optionalpha.com/free-options-trading-robinhood-106647.html.

I'm personally on the waitlist for option with RH, but i closed all my positions on RH in January

Well evidently you already can trade options.  The only downside I see is that they don't have a desktop platform yet, but that should be out soon. Their web interface is evidently in beta trial now -- wonder if anyone on here has used it.  But going commission free would improve SO performance dramatically. 

6 minutes ago, mrw02536 said:

Once we can trade options, what's the downside?

Not clear to me how the margin works. On the stock only account, you are supposed to pay a monthly fee to access margin (they call it gold).

Also i'm not sure if they can handle the load if the market are busy. Are you confident you can place and execute trades when market are fast moving ?

58 minutes ago, cwelsh said:

You can ask the same question about tradier?

Just now, SBatch said:

Not true.  I trade in a Partnership account and it is commission free.

When exploring it, they specifically told me that I'd have a platform fee for the entity and .10/contract (again much better than IB).  Regardless, don't want to hijak the thread, I'm trying to find anyone that has actually used the option trading on RH.

Just now, cwelsh said:

When exploring it, they specifically told me that I'd have a platform fee for the entity and .10/contract (again much better than IB).  Regardless, don't want to hijak the thread, I'm trying to find anyone that has actually used the option trading on RH.

Execution will be the same on both Robinhood and Tradier as they both clear through Apex.

Do you think you will get good fills on this platform especially with the volume of contracts for the SO Fund? I have used some low cost platforms (for equities) before and wasn't happy with the fills and the general experience. My 0.02 for whatever that is worth.

7 minutes ago, mrw02536 said:

I would think apex clearing is the key

Correct.  The difference in choosing Robinhood or Tradier over one another will come down to the platform and customer service.  Everything else will be pretty much the same.  Therefore, one can draw many conclusions about Robinhood by researching Tradier.

Edited by SBatch

May anyone who knows well, please clarify who is behind these two businesses (Tradier and Robinhood).

sorry but I tend to be extremely careful where I leave my money, furthermore when I do not see a clear business model behind. I believe I have read all posts, here and in Tradier forum, and do not remember an only mention, about the financial stability and warranties of these new brokers. I lived in the past some sad experiences with “extremely “ attractive deals. We all have seen how an apparently well backed product has gone with the wind in a night (VXI) and no tears now.

Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Javier said:

May anyone who knows well, please clarify who is behind these two businesses (Tradier and Robinhood).

sorry but I tend to be extremely careful where I leave my money, furthermore when I do not see a clear business model behind. I believe I have read all posts, here and in Tradier forum, and do not remember an only mention, about the financial stability and warranties of these new brokers. I lived in the past some sad experiences with “extremely “ attractive deals. We all have seen how an apparently well backed product has gone with the wind in a night (VXI) and no tears now.

Thanks in advance.

There seems to be some confusion in this thread regarding how brokers earn part of their revenue.  In addition to commissions all brokers/market makers/clearing firms  also receive rebates from the exchanges for order flow.  This is Tradier’s model.  They have extremely limited overhead as they do not provide their own platform (and therefore eliminate all the costs associated with developing and maintaining one).  They are a small shop with low expenses so the order flow rebate is enough to make them profitable. The lack of platform is solved by their API and outside developers.  This is the reason Tradier is not available in Canada for @Kim and others, because Canadian regulators do not allow rebate for order flow.  With regard to safety of assets, Tradier holds nothing.  They are simply an Introducing Broker to Apex who is the custodian.  Therefore, in addition to SIPC protection one should look at the stability of Apex which is very solid.

Edited by SBatch

3 hours ago, SBatch said:

There seems to be some confusion in this thread regarding how brokers earn part of their revenue.  In addition to commissions all brokers/market makers/clearing firms  also receive rebates from the exchanges for order flow.  This is Tradier’s model.  They have extremely limited overhead as they do not provide their own platform (and therefore eliminate all the costs associated with developing and maintaining one).  They are a small shop with low expenses so the order flow rebate is enough to make them profitable. The lack of platform is solved by their API and outside developers.  This is the reason Tradier is not available in Canada for @Kim and others, because Canadian regulators do not allow rebate for order flow.  With regard to safety of assets, Tradier holds nothing.  They are simply an Introducing Broker to Apex who is the custodian.  Therefore, in addition to SIPC protection one should look at the stability of Apex which is very solid.

Thanks, makes some sense, and I buy your very small overhead Tradier reasoning.  I have no idea how much rebates mean to any Broker, but what I know for sure is that many of us leave thousand of bucks in commisions in IB, and that is a sound business model. 

Thus I understand you open your trading account with Apex. Two more questions:

1) Stanislav, anything new regarding non US users?.

2) If Tradier keeps on not dealing with future options, witch of our strategies if any cannot be traded ( specially volatility ones, mainly dealing with ETNs/ETFs)?

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, Javier said:

Thanks, makes some sense, and I buy your very small overhead Tradier reasoning.  I have no idea how much rebates mean to any Broker, but what I know for sure is that many of us leave thousand of bucks in commisions in IB, and that is a sound business model. 

Thus I understand you open your trading account with Apex. Two more questions:

2) If Tradier keeps on not dealing with future options, witch of our strategies if any cannot be traded ( specially volatility ones, mainly dealing with ETNs/ETFs)?

Thanks in advance.

We don't trade any strategies that require futures options.

4 minutes ago, Javier said:

Being non-US resident I successfully opened an account in Tradier 1-2 weeks ago. So I confirm, it can be done. Just contact their support.

I transfered a small amount of money to Tradier the day before the market crashed. :)

I found I personally do not like TradeHawk platform as it uses too much CPU. So decided to wait while ONE creates better Tradier support. Andy told me they are testing a beta version with native Tradier integration (no Internet Explorer anymore). This gives some hope ONE + Tradier becames usable solution soon.

For now I returned the money to IB (mostly need more margin there, but now is waiting for ONE to better support Tradier as well).

3 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

Andy told me they are testing a beta version with native Tradier integration (no Internet Explorer anymore). This gives some hope ONE + Tradier becames usable solution soon.

That would be an interesting solution for me if ONE supports Tradier natively from within the software.

5 minutes ago, cwelsh said:

I just heard back from RH -- they will NOT support business accounts, only individuals. 

How about Tastyworks ? I believe they are using Apex Clearing. The capped commission structure might be interesting if executing large number of contracts.

I opened a small account at both tradier and robinhood so I can compare to IB.  Tradier is not yet funded, but robinhood allowed me 1000 in useable funds once small ach deposits were verified.   This allowed me to take yesterday's csco trade.  I was filled at the official price on robinhood for the long straddle $2.51.  I was also at IB, but was about 50 mins later and it was in blocks (50k acct).  Because of a movement in that 50 mins in the underlying I did get a $0.02 better credit on the short strangle though at IB.

Robinhood does not send out daily statements showing what clearing fees I paid but the commission should be zero. My commissions to do same size at IB breaking down my daily statement appear to be $6.61