SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Khonsu

Options/Trade Performance Tracker Spreadsheets

Does anyone have recommendations for how to best track the performance of the type of trades we do in SO?

I currently use a Google spreadsheet I made which tracks the type of trade, initial cost basis, closing basis, total amount of commissions/fees, return (both including and excluding fees), etc.. it works okay, it just takes considerable manual entry and I have to fiddle with the formulas if it's a long position vs a short position.

I'm sure people smarter than me have devised better ways of tracking options portfolio performance. Would love to hear about what others have done or used!

I hear ya.  I built a few things from scratch in Excel that have worked just fine for my tracking wants.  I probably have to clean it up, and I'd like to add some rudimentary VBA, as well as scan for any sensitive information.  I also set it up so that one can compare against the official service picks, as well as factoring in subscription and service fees for both your trades and the services trades. As close as you can get to an apples to apples comparison between your or my performance, and the performance of the service.

I'll test all formulas and make sure they're running as they should, then post it here, hopefully by end of day tomorrow.

45 minutes ago, Darcy MacDonald said:

Many here use OptionNET Explorer.  There's a discount for members.

Thanks Darcy, I'll look into ONE. I've heard it mentioned here often, but didn't realize they also logged and tracked performance of your actual trades.

3 minutes ago, SeanM said:

I hear ya.  I built a few things from scratch in Excel that have worked just fine for my tracking wants.  I probably have to clean it up, and I'd like to add some rudimentary VBA, as well as scan for any sensitive information.  I also set it up so that one can compare against the official service picks, as well as factoring in subscription and service fees for both your trades and the services trades. As close as you can get to an apples to apples comparison between your or my performance, and the performance of the service.

I'll test all formulas and make sure they're running as they should, then post it here, hopefully by end of day tomorrow.

That sounds pretty incredible, would definitely love to see it when you're ready to share!

I searched around for quite a while on this.  Tried ONE, but was too expensive for me for what it provided (for me).  Primarily I didn't feel like I had enough ways to link trades together.  And their support SUCKS.  I landed on https://www.tradeportfoliomanager.com.  Price is right and allows me to track in multiple ways.  And has built-in dashboards and reports that can be filtered in multiple ways.

Hope that helps.

On 8/14/2017 at 7:09 PM, Darcy MacDonald said:

Many here use OptionNET Explorer.  There's a discount for members.

Has anyone seen a guide or anything for setting up this software for tracking initially?

It looks like there's a big time investment getting it rolling if you have a history before importing, and I don't want to have to re-do work if it's best done another way..