SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Ordos

IB IV Numbers are off

Since a while the option implied vol numbers in my IB tws interface are off. It seems the ratio of it is still correct, ie earlier expiring options have higher IV before earnings in the case of BABA, but they are usually expressed in higher percentages. Anyone seen this before or knows why?

ib vol.png

I think I figured it out. Apparently you can choose between showing IV daily (business days) or annually. The later is the standard. I certainly don't recall changing this but should anyone have this problem, you can change it here as shown:

strange.png

10 minutes ago, Ordos said:

I think I figured it out. Apparently you can choose between showing IV daily (business days) or annually. The later is the standard. I certainly don't recall changing this but should anyone have this problem, you can change it here as shown:

strange.png

Great, thanks! By the way, you have a "Volatility Trading" section on your "volatility and analytics" page that isn't shown in my page. Do you know how to enable it, and what does these settings actually do?

4 minutes ago, Thinkola said:

Great, thanks! By the way, you have a "Volatility Trading" section on your "volatility and analytics" page that isn't shown in my page. Do you know how to enable it, and what does these settings actually do?

Hmm, it seems likely that this is related to the version of your TWS. I'm using 957.3h, aug 9 2016. It could be that they added it later and you're using an older version. I certainly didn't enable anything special to get this section.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have a feature selector which can hide things, see image.

Other than that, I don't know what these features do, but I'm sure IB has documented it.

features.png

16 minutes ago, Yowster said:

Your column names are being truncated - I think that column may be IV % change for the day, not the actual IV%.  Go into the configuration and make sure you have the IV% column selected.

Thanks, but in my case it most definitely wasn't this issue. As mentioned above it was because for some reason IB changed the IV from annually to daily.