SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Rina

Is the commission of TD ThinkOrSwim too much?

I'm using TD ThinkOrSwim. the commission rate for Options is $9.99+$1.25per contract. I think it's quite expensive. How about yours? I don't know if there are better choices in Toronto, Canada.

You can open an account through tastytrade which gives you a commission rate of $1.50 per contract.  You can then use their Dough platform or TOS.  Either way it is $1.50 commission.  Still higher than IB but much less of a learning curve with TOS vs TWS.   I am planning on using IB (TWS) myself and just working through the issues to get the better deal.

Edited by izzo70

YES! It is highway robbery....

Especially in our situation where many, if not most, of our trades, have 4 legs and, sometimes, as in a RIC, have a very small profit.

You just cannot pay $1.50 per leg and do 4 legged trades, looking for a maximum gain of .70 cents.

I have been with IB for 20+ years and would never trade anywhere else.

Recently I have found a few places that actually charge lower commission rates than IB but, I just feel too comfortable with them and, they are SO huge, with more money in assets than pretty much anyone else. I think every account is insured by Lloyds of London , for up to $50 million, but I could be  wrong.

I keep a small amount of money, not for trading, just for buying some dividend stocks, with TOS so that I can have access to their software.

But, I would NEVER make a multi-leg options trade with them.

As a matter of fact, I opened a TOS account, and didn't fund it for more than 2 years, and nobody ever bothered me to fund it.

So, if you just want their platform to look at some of their tools, you can probably do the same thing.