SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Guest akbrtrdr

Broker Sees RIC as uncovered

Guest akbrtrdr

My broker, Fidelity, views the RIC, and I'm assuming other techniques used here, as uncovered and requires $20,000 in account.

Do you know of a broker that will view the total trade as covered and not require the 20k?

TIA

I think several people here use IB (InteractiveBrokers) with under 20K in portfolio and can do all the trades, including RICS. TOS (ThinkorSwim) is another platform lots of people like. Both have pros/cons (TOS has better customer service, but higher commissions , while IB has lower commissions and you are pretty much on your own.)

My broker, Fidelity, views the RIC, and I'm assuming other techniques used here, as uncovered and requires $20,000 in account.

Do you know of a broker that will view the total trade as covered and not require the 20k?

TIA

It doesn't make sense. Please make sure we are talking about the same trade. RIC is simply buying a strangle and selling further OTM strangle against it. There is no way any broker should ask for margin for this position.

I have a small amount of funds with TradeKing, which is merging with Zecco. I opened the the GOOG RIC in that account. As, long as I was doing Straddles or Strangles they were OK. But, I don't think they understand a RIC, I have a margin call for -$225,062.39.

I called them and they said it was a mistake and they would fix in a day or so! I will be closing this account as soon as all positions close.

eoptions is another that has issues associating multiple positions correctly, you have to call them to get them to manually adjust it. Ex on my calendars, they were using margin on the short options, until i called them

Edited by Dawajmeister

Guest akbrtrdr

It doesn't make sense. Please make sure we are talking about the same trade. RIC is simply buying a strangle and selling further OTM strangle against it. There is no way any broker should ask for margin for this position.

I doubled checked with Fidelity again this morning and they said any spread trade would require 20k in account.

Guest akbrtrdr

This is ridiculous. Change the broker if this is their approach.

I am in the process of switching to IB.

Thx

I have a small amount of funds with TradeKing, which is merging with Zecco. I opened the the GOOG RIC in that account. As, long as I was doing Straddles or Strangles they were OK. But, I don't think they understand a RIC, I have a margin call for -$225,062.39.

I called them and they said it was a mistake and they would fix in a day or so! I will be closing this account as soon as all positions close.

I am with tradeking and have not had this problem. I have placed 3 RICs in the last 2 weeks all were fine.