SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

mike_tee_vee

IB Security Card

The default secure login system for IB requires a two-factor authentication process (a password plus a security card code to be entered). 

Do members here use both?  Carrying the security card can be cumbersome, and can be misplaced.  Sometimes the codes need to be entered several times when trading with the Webtrader platform.

Does the convenience of disabling the security card code outweigh the risks?

I use IB TWS and it has not been a hassle, just another step. Also, have used it with mobile TWS and it has been easy as well. Only thing I find with IB TWS is that you cannot have two sessions going at the same time on mobile and TWS. TOS lets you have a multiple session running. I guess given today's security issues, it is for our benefit but interesting how TOS does not have the same double login process.

It is cumbersome, but since I mostly trade at my desk, it's not too bad.  To reduce the hassle, I scanned both sides of the card and pinned a shortcut to the image file directly to my Windows start menu so that it's very quick to open it up and view the card on the screen while I am logging into TWS in the morning.  That also allows me to leave the card in my wallet so it's always there if I am out and about.

That said, when I travel and plan to use the mobile interface, I usually disable the security card temporarily.  It's very cumbersome to use with a phone because the on-screen keyboard often covers up the numbers I need to look up on the card.  Also, when I switch between apps on the phone, it will require re-authentication sometimes when I switch back.

I am probably taking on some additional risk by disabling it, even temporarily.  But not as big as the risks created by my lousy trading habits.  :)

Interested in hearing the responses.  I had the old authentication card, but never received one of the new ones.  I did not even know such a card existed until I tried to login to account management a few months back. Since it became available (March 2015?), I've used the iOS authentication app with Touch ID to login to both TWS and Mobile TWS.  When I need to get into Account Management, I have to login to TWS first and then open it from within TWS.  So, I probably need to inquire about getting one of the new cards . . .

SeanM, you should be able to get into account management by manually typing the authentication code into the sDSA app. Unfortunately it doesn't send a link, but the manual challenge code always works for me.

I use sDSA for everything. It makes it so much easier than having to track down and look up a code on a card.

SeanM, you should be able to get into account management by manually typing the authentication code into the sDSA app. Unfortunately it doesn't send a link, but the manual challenge code always works for me.

I use sDSA for everything. It makes it so much easier than having to track down and look up a code on a card.

Ahhhh!  I never even noticed the "Passcode Generator" within the app.  Thanks for pointing it out.

How do you disable it temporarily please?

You have to do it through Account Management at the IB website.  Dig through the menus on security and it's there somewhere.  Let me know if you can't find it and I will take a look.

Maybe I should look into this app people are describing - that sounds like a better setup than a plastic card.

Here are the steps to opt out of the security login for the trading platform when logging into Account Management. They said that you can't trade penny stocks when you disable this.

manage account > security > secure log in system > sls opt out
change the state to partial

Anyone here use the phone app? How much quicker is it than using the card?

What is putting me off switching to it is if I lose/break my phone then I will have to mess about with their rubbish customer services trying to get it reset. 

Anyone here use the phone app? How much quicker is it than using the card?

What is putting me off switching to it is if I lose/break my phone then I will have to mess about with their rubbish customer services trying to get it reset. 

EDIT: Looked a few posts above and saw that there's apparently a Touch ID feature on the iPhone app...I didn't know that. I still think mobile is so much crappier than TWS that I won't use it to place trades.

I have used the phone app several times. Unless there's some component to it that I'm not aware of, you can only view your account without the security card. You still need the card to log in to the app if you want to place trades. Having said that, I found the phone app to be so much more difficult to use than TWS, especially for trading spreads, that if I can't be around my computer, I just don't trade (unless there's some emergency and I need to close out

Edited by greenspan76

think this phone login app replaces the card for everything. Cant see any benefit when I am logging into TWS at home, as it easy just to look at the card on my desk. However when I am out and about and want to use the mobile app then it is a bit of pain. Currently I have a screenshot of the card on my phone which I look up the codes on, of course most of the time I don't have a pen+paper handy so have to try and remember the codes which results in a few failed login attempts lol

I use the IB Key App on my Iphone 6 to generate the login codes. It's very convenient and uses the fingerprint technology to verify your identity. I'm not to sure how it works for Android phones or older iPhones.