SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

bam1960

SPX Weekly Iron Condor

Hi Bret,

At the risk of asking a stupid question :)

Why do you play SPX instead of RUT ?

A few weeks ago Kim pointed out that the IV of RUT options is significantly

higher than SPX

which means that the shorts with 15 delta (for RUT) are much further OTM

which means one gets about the same credit for less risk.

Has SPX other advantages over RUT ?

Thanks

CJ

There is always a tradeoff. RUT IV is higher, but so is HV (historical volatility). So it's true that you can trade further strikes, but the probability to reach those strikes is similar because RUT tends to move more (on average).

Just be aware that those weekly trades are relatively risky. As a general guidance, I would recommend to reduce position sizing and close at least 2-3 days before expiration. When the markets are calm and moving sideways, it might seem like an ATM machine, but when the markets start to move, especially in case of gaps, losses can accumulate very quickly. So I'm not saying people should not trade them, just be aware of the higher risks.

CJ

Just know that i am not the trader that Kim is, I am just sharing some trades I am doing along with SO trades. I am getting better but just know that the buyer beware. smile.png

Bret

Hi Bret,

Sure these trades are riskier, but I appreciate it that you share them,

it is food for thought and it helps me learn faster :)

Just be aware that those weekly trades are relatively risky. As a general guidance, I would recommend to reduce position sizing and close at least 2-3 days before expiration. When the markets are calm and moving sideways, it might seem like an ATM machine, but when the markets start to move, especially in case of gaps, losses can accumulate very quickly. So I'm not saying people should not trade them, just be aware of the higher risks.

Hey Kim,

Thanks for your insight.

The last SO RUT trade seemed quite easy. But there was your right timing to close the trade

(avoiding stress) and the market moved like we needed it to move.

Unfortunately the market is not always so accommodating....

Exited 2080/2090 @1.45 and sold 2110 call @.15credit which for whole trade broke even.

Decided to close being too close to strike with gamma risk. I was not sure would be able to watch it tommorow.

Will probably do it again Wed.