SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

dbh21

AAPL Sept 9 Event

Apple has a big event Sept 9 where they plan on announcing the iphone 6 and something related to wearable devices. The news seems to indicate that they have raised the bar so they need to have a big announcement. Personally I think the iwatch is kind of lame, and I hope its something more.

But the question is whether to and how to trade this event. 

I have 3 other AAPL events for the initial iphone, ipad, and iphone 5. Just like my other charts, I treat these the same:

Straddles:

(Please ignore the current IM... its is incorrect. The correct value is ~4%)

post-360-0-64881000-1409499925_thumb.png

post-360-0-74950100-1409499923_thumb.png

post-360-0-53595700-1409499921_thumb.png

In general, straddles before the event performed poorly. After the event, the closest expiration straddles performed well for the iphone5 and ipad events.

DoubleCalendars

post-360-0-83611800-1409499918_thumb.png

post-360-0-44939000-1409499916_thumb.png

post-360-0-91232200-1409499913_thumb.png

Calendars bought 2-3 days before the event, sold the day of, seemed to perform well (between 5-30% returns). Calendars look cheap now too. I calculate a RV (dblcal mid/spot) of ~1.5%... way below the historical values.

AAPL is usally a pretty poor candidate for earnings, but this quick calendar trade might look decent if the value stays cheap. I might also hold a small straddle through the event (total speculation).

Anyone playing this event?

Based on the charts, I'm looking to enter a calendar trade on Thursday.  However, the much publicized iCloud hack this past weekend is another thing to factor in.  I was expecting AAPL stock to drop this morning after all the media attention the iCloud hack got, but given that AAPL is up around a dollar I'm not sure what or how much of an effect this will have over the next few days.

I don't think the iCloud thing will effect it much. My understanding is that it was not an exploit on iCloud but lots of individual people hacking celebrity accounts over a long period of time. 

I'm sorry I didn't open the calendar... The one week Sep12/Sep19 100 call calender was at 0.30 last week and at 0.45 today.   I'm not sure how the calendars with multiple weeks between the short and long legs performed, but even with the commissions effecting the cheaper spread this would have been a nice gain.

I tried to open calendars, but they didn't fill at my price. I have a couple cheap long calls as I am hoping they are going to step up their game and do something really cool (its been a while and google is totally kicking their ass in the cool category).

The Long Oct 17, Short Sep 12 spread trades reasonably well.

The Put 100 I got for 1.15 is around 1.40 now, and the Call 105 spread I got for 1.19 is lower, around 1.00

I added a Put 95 spread yesterday at 1.05 when the stock crossed the $99 mark. It is at 1.20 or so now.

So overall not too bad. Plan to exit before noon tomorrow...