SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

equus

Finding Broker that Shows True Midprice

Kim,

You've alluded several times to the fact that IB doesn't show the true midprice. You've suggested ToS as a broker that does show the true midprice, so i'm considering opening a ToS account. 

Before i do that however, i wanted to check if my other existing broker is showing the true midprice or not. What would be a simple way to check this for oneself? (I'm wondering if it would be enough to look at the midprice of a spread and compare that to the two midprices of the two component legs).

Depends on your definition of small, I called them; need to deposit 3K USD to get real-time data. 

Best,

PC

Do you know if you need to maintain that amount, or could you move most of it out after opening?

Called ToS and they told me that one can open a papertrading account (quotes delayed 20 minutes) or a live account (realtime quotes).

No minimum opening balance is required, but they confirmed that you do need to keep $500 in the account to get the live quotes.

Kim, before i start on the paperwork for ToS, can i check this understanding is correct:  Aside from the overall quality of the analysis tools, is it true that one of the advantages of ToS is that you can see multiple midprices of spreads simultaneously (as in the PCLN screenshot you posted in a recent thread)?

In other words you don't need to be constantly opening an order ticket for a spread just to see the current midprice, then closing it, then opening another order ticket for a spread at a slightly different strike etc -- is that correct?

post-400-0-26861400-1376499963_thumb.png

Edited by equus

Correct. Besides of the fact that TOS shows you real mid prices (based on mid prices of the individual legs), the interface is much more convenient. For example, like you mentioned, you can display few spreads and then dynamically change the parameters like strike and expiration. At IB, you need to open a new spread.