SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Maji

Question on Double Calendars

During the last three or four months that I have been with SO, I found that most of the time when calendar trades suffer, it is mostly due to stock movement. That is expected. However, what are the drawbacks if we add a second calendar in the direction of the move. This second calendar will be a call calendar if the initial was put calendar and vice versa.

For example, we entered CSX 55 put calendars when CSX was at 55. Now, as CSX moved up to say 58, why not add a 58 call calendar to it, provided that the RVs are not too high compared to historical averages? I would like some input from the community here.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Maji said:

During the last three or four months that I have been with SO, I found that most of the time when calendar trades suffer, it is mostly due to stock movement. That is expected. However, what are the drawbacks if we add a second calendar in the direction of the move. This second calendar will be a call calendar if the initial was put calendar and vice versa.

For example, we entered CSX 55 put calendars when CSX was at 55. Now, as CSX moved up to say 58, why not add a 58 call calendar to it, provided that the RVs are not too high compared to historical averages? I would like some input from the community here.

Thank you.

Take a look at the official trade and the discussion. We added 57.5 calendar. Some of us even rolled part of 55s to 60...

The same with UAL trade...

Edited by IgorK

10 minutes ago, IgorK said:

Take a look at the official trade and the discussion. We added 57.5 calendar. Some of us even rolled part of 55s to 60...

The same with UAL trade...

we have double put calendar and Maji was suggesting a put/call dbl calendar.  But as Kim has shown, it makes little difference.

@Kim I hope you have time to answer. With regards to the pre-earnings double calendars what type of win rates from experience and back testing are you seeing? I only took a small sample of the trades you have posted (may be 6 months max) and calendars seem like a 50-50 bet. My experience w/ selling options is limited, it's even more limited when it comes to calendars.

Thanks for your time