SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

krissi

Reviewing Old Trades - Where to Start?

I want to review old trades, as suggested many times on the forum, but I'm not sure where to start.  Are there any trades that jump out to you - Kim and veteran members - that the newbies should review?  What's the best way to find old trades, just review the discussion threads under SteadyOptions Trades?  

If a thread/discussion doesn't exist yet, could we start one on the best trades to review for learning purposes? 

Thanks so much!
Krissi

Edited by krissi

When there is a discussion or trade opened, at the bottom of the page you can see the previous topics on that trade. In general going over all of the older trades is quite boring and you won't remember a lot. However, when you are planning on entering a trade, comparing that current trade with older trades gives a better impression. You can see how your current trade behaves and compare that to previous cycles and what members had to say about it (in the discussions I mentioned earlier). That way you learn more about it and have more experience with this symbol/trade in the future. This is how I do it anyway.

Checking past discussions is point five of my thinking process. Just in case If appreciated by someone my structured way of thinking is, 

1) Check potential names to announce earnings next 10-14 days (Kim’s post and other scanner)

2) Check Names, one by one, past strategy used and performance, with more relevance to the last four ones. (SO past performance results blog, I have moved all of them to an MS-excel file to group by any needed concept: date, stock, strategy, %performance .......)

3) See the dominant strategy (with more than 75% positive results) if any.

4) Follow guidelines to trade straddles or calendars (I also have my own guidelines, derived from SO articles and posts for any given strategy)

5) See detailed discussion of n and n-1 cases.

Hope it helps.