SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. TRY IT FREE!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

771 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Djtux said:

Also i can potentially add a default settings in the user profile page so that each user has its own preference.

That would be a fantastic enhancement that would probably improve functionality for everyone. For example I want to always use a start date of 2018-01-01, to show stock price changes and use a T-x of 40, so these parameters I have to reset every time I go from the scanner to another page. A minor irritation, but if I could set those as defaults it would be a big help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I opened 5 windows of Vhq and set them each the way I wanted them, Straddle Chart, Straddle Matrix, Calendar Chart, Calendar Matrix, Call Ratio.  Then saved them as bookmarks to a folder and reload them every morning, it keeps the settings that way.  This does not help the super VIX spikes as the earnings date changes with each stock but it does set all the others.  That was my work around.  But I really like the idea of a user profile, it would be a great enhancement to an already great site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Djtux How do you suggest using the Standard Deviation (the second one) on the return matrix for Straddles?    It might be showing exactly what I have been looking for -- but can't quite figure it out. 

 

For example, for the T13 row/T12 column, what does the 3.3 signify?  Is it saying it is the median movement of 3.3% of the underlying from EOD T13 to EOD T12?  Or is it 3.3% movement of the price of the straddle? Or something else?

image.png

  Thanks in advance.

Edited by nrexpress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 10:38 AM, nrexpress said:

@Djtux How do you suggest using the Standard Deviation (the second one) on the return matrix for Straddles?    It might be showing exactly what I have been looking for -- but can't quite figure it out. 

 

For example, for the T13 row/T12 column, what does the 3.3 signify?  Is it saying it is the median movement of 3.3% of the underlying from EOD T13 to EOD T12?  Or is it 3.3% movement of the price of the straddle? Or something else?

  Thanks in advance.

It's the standard deviation of the returns to try to get an idea of how dispersed the returns are 

image.png

Here is the same calculation in excel :

image.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Yowster said:

@Djtux Take a look at SPCE, the current cycle is not appearing on the RV charts.  MRNA, UBER are others.

Thanks, i will look into it. Seems one of the provider is not giving the next earning date as usual. Strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Djtux said:

SPCE and UBER are fixed.

MRNA not yet.

Thanks, note that there are a bunch of them with this problem as I was going through early May earnings stocks (I just stopped listing all of them in this thread).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yowster said:

Thanks, note that there are a bunch of them with this problem as I was going through early May earnings stocks (I just stopped listing all of them in this thread).

Yes i noticed that as well, i'm implementing a fallback where i detect that the primary provider doesn't provide a next earning date, and try to get the next earning date from another provider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Djtux said:

Yes i noticed that as well, i'm implementing a fallback where i detect that the primary provider doesn't provide a next earning date, and try to get the next earning date from another provider.

The fix has been implemented and deployed. Let me know if you see missing current cycle / current earning date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that this is the forum where I can ask my question. What actually volatilityHQ means by the chart that shows the VIX of the individual stock? To me VIX is a measure of the whole market volatility an it doesn't apply to one stock only. So in this instance is the volatilityHQ chart showing the historical volatility of a stock or the historical IV of the stock? Or is it another measure of risk? Thank you in advance for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Denver said:

I hope that this is the forum where I can ask my question. What actually volatilityHQ means by the chart that shows the VIX of the individual stock? To me VIX is a measure of the whole market volatility an it doesn't apply to one stock only. So in this instance is the volatilityHQ chart showing the historical volatility of a stock or the historical IV of the stock? Or is it another measure of risk? Thank you in advance for your help.

It just shows the VIX as it was for each day for that stock during the last 8 earning cycles. It can sometime help explain why the RV is far than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Denver said:

Thank you. So that is the historical volatility for one individual stock, right? I am just having a hard time as to me the VIX term applies only to an index.

No, its the VIX you are talking about, the index.   It's there for a simple correlation between the stock RV and what the VIX happened to be on that cycle - so you can easily see if elevated RV correlates to elevated VIX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yowster said:

No, its the VIX you are talking about, the index.   It's there for a simple correlation between the stock RV and what the VIX happened to be on that cycle - so you can easily see if elevated RV correlates to elevated VIX.

Actually, would it be worthwhile (probably depending on difficulty on his part) to flag if the underlying is a part of the S&P500?

I'm now wondering if we even look at underlings that aren't, just because we tend to require a certain amount of liquidity. 

The secondary question would be if there was an easy API pull for the current weight within S&P500? As that could easily be a consideration for how strongly VIX would correlate. Just an assumption, but a pretty straightforward one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent new member here.

 

What is the latest deal? I am subscribed Steady options member. Do members here get a discount at www.volatilityhq.com/  and how do we go about it? Sorry, I searched Forums and could not find the answer.

 

Also, would it be fair to say, without a membership at www.volatilityhq.com/ one can not really follow or participate in Steady options trades?

Edited by Paul Young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Recent new member here.

What is the latest deal? I am subscribed Steady options member. Do members here get a discount at www.volatilityhq.com/  and how do we go about it? Sorry, I searched Forums and could not find the answer.

Go to the first post of this thread : https://steadyoptions.com/forums/forum/topic/3885-volatilityhqcom-official-thread/

You will find a coupon.

31 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Also, would it be fair to say, without a membership at www.volatilityhq.com/ one can not really follow or participate in Steady options trades?

That's not for me to answer as i'm obviously biased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Recent new member here.

 

What is the latest deal? I am subscribed Steady options member. Do members here get a discount at www.volatilityhq.com/  and how do we go about it? Sorry, I searched Forums and could not find the answer.

 

Also, would it be fair to say, without a membership at www.volatilityhq.com/ one can not really follow or participate in Steady options trades?

You don't have to have a charting service to prosper at Steady Options.  It just makes it easier and less time consuming.  Similar profits were had before the charts like this came available.  There is 10 years of history on the site where you can find where good entry and exit points have been.  Most of the time when a trade is in the discussion phase a price based on a percentage of the current stock price is mentioned.  3 seconds with a calculator tells you roughly where a good entry would be.  Scroll through the history, keep some notes.  Most trades are repeated each quarter so after awhile you know what a good price is. After awhile when you understand the strategies well you will find the price of the service well worth it because of the time saved, especially looking for trades that aren't official.SO trades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account. It's easy and free!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By wlnoronha
      I try to access the website this morning and for my surprise now it is a paid service. That is ok, I consider this web service a valuable tool. The only payment method accepted is credit card and i really don't like doing cc payment through the net. Why don't you guys consider PayPal? 
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.