SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Yesterday at around 3.30 I opened AMZN weekly straddle for 5.22 and sold it this morning for 8.50 at 9.32 , My initial target was 10.00 then I was afraid that the stock price will drop and the gap higher and sold at 8.5 . Have I held , I would have gotten my 10.00 target or even more .

My reasoning for the trade was that the straddle was so cheap and AMZN ATR " Average True Range "  from finviz.com is 12.71 . Based on this , I felt that the odds are in my favor .

My question to our options traders community

Did anyone do a back testing on making a trade like this mechanical and we can do it every week . I am sure not every week will be a winner but I have a good feeling that at the current VIX price and straddle price we  will end up being winner at a good number of weeks where the totality of the trade will be a winner .

I have been following a different board years ago and they were doing RIC on GOOG and AMZN on Thursday near the close and close it on Friday morning with a target of 10 % for overnight holding ..

feel free to chime in with your thoughts and / or data

1 hour ago, semsem24 said:

Yesterday at around 3.30 I opened AMZN weekly straddle for 5.22 and sold it this morning for 8.50 at 9.32 , My initial target was 10.00 then I was afraid that the stock price will drop and the gap higher and sold at 8.5 . Have I held , I would have gotten my 10.00 target or even more .

My reasoning for the trade was that the straddle was so cheap and AMZN ATR " Average True Range "  from finviz.com is 12.71 . Based on this , I felt that the odds are in my favor .

My question to our options traders community

Did anyone do a back testing on making a trade like this mechanical and we can do it every week . I am sure not every week will be a winner but I have a good feeling that at the current VIX price and straddle price we  will end up being winner at a good number of weeks where the totality of the trade will be a winner .

I have been following a different board years ago and they were doing RIC on GOOG and AMZN on Thursday near the close and close it on Friday morning with a target of 10 % for overnight holding ..

feel free to chime in with your thoughts and / or data

So it was a 1 day trade with 550 of theta decay?   No thanks..  Great trade but you got lucky the stock moved so much...

30 minutes ago, Scott Rogers said:

So it was a 1 day trade with 550 of theta decay?   No thanks..  Great trade but you got lucky the stock moved so much...

Agreed, high risk/high reward.  I will say that in our current ultra-low market IV environment it is much cheaper to do this type of trade compared to when IV is at more normal levels - at these times that 1-day straddle would be much more expensive and require bigger stock price moves to be profitable.

$5.50 on a $960 stock is only 0.5% - it does look cheap based on AMZN volatility. I will try to do some backtesting. It is definitely an interesting idea. While I don't think those prices will last for prolonged periods of time, it could be interesting to look at it while low volatility lasts.

I agree that this is a high risk high reward that is why position size need to be very small 2 - 3 % at the most . I am trying to take the luck out of it by looking into back testing .

For example , can we say that if the straddle price compare to ATR is 0.4 (5.2 / 12.2) , we have good statistical odds ?

Also , for argument sake if I stuck with my target of 10.00 or waited till 15.30 to close the trade , I would have done better ..in that case even if I have next week an 80 % looser , I am still up on the trade.

Also , I understand that the straddle price is so cheap right now that is why this trade was done few years ago as an RIC with a 10  - 20 - % profit target .

Just food for thought , the other question , if we want to back test such an idea , is there a good way or a software that can do that ? or we have to go manually with something like on demand on TOS ?

34 minutes ago, semsem24 said:

I agree that this is a high risk high reward that is why position size need to be very small 2 - 3 % at the most . I am trying to take the luck out of it by looking into back testing .

For example , can we say that if the straddle price compare to ATR is 0.4 (5.2 / 12.2) , we have good statistical odds ?

Also , for argument sake if I stuck with my target of 10.00 or waited till 15.30 to close the trade , I would have done better ..in that case even if I have next week an 80 % looser , I am still up on the trade.

Also , I understand that the straddle price is so cheap right now that is why this trade was done few years ago as an RIC with a 10  - 20 - % profit target .

Just food for thought , the other question , if we want to back test such an idea , is there a good way or a software that can do that ? or we have to go manually with something like on demand on TOS ?

0.4 ATR is probably a slight tilt, but 0.5 ATR is the cut-off for 50% chance of being profitable based on whatever series you're averaging, right?

On 5/12/2017 at 5:33 PM, Kim said:

$5.50 on a $960 stock is only 0.5% - it does look cheap based on AMZN volatility. I will try to do some backtesting. It is definitely an interesting idea. While I don't think those prices will last for prolonged periods of time, it could be interesting to look at it while low volatility lasts.

I did backtesting on this. Here are the stats for the whole 2017. Entering Thursday before close (1 time it was wednesday due to long weekend).

Explanation of the table below:

GRAYED out rows are not to be considered because either straddle price is high OR earnings week. 

GREEN Background 

Idea is to have GTC of 20% profit or 20% stop loss.

Don't have GTC on thursday. See the next day open price, change limit accordingly and close only 1 long leg to max profit if it is above 20%. 2 times the opening rates are above 20%. ( 50% and 35%)

Edited by krisbee

Thank you so much for the data you put together @krisbee

From looking to the data , it seems to me that 20 % stop loss was helpful most of the time ..so it is a good addition .

When I looked into the winners , it seems to me that taking 20 % win was too conservative . if I understood the table correctly there was 6 winners not in gray

4 out of those 6 winners the move was higher and we could have gotten 100 % .

If the success of the trade is close to coin toss but we only loose 20 % and make some where between 50 - 100 % , we may have a winner .

It is not an easy trade and it has to be a small position . I also understand that looking at pure stats is one thing however playing the market with money on the table takes much more guts .

Thank you all for your input

I was thinking about this trade and I decided to try it every Thursday with a very small position , I will try to make it mechanical as much as I can to take the human emotion part out of it ..I put few rules to make it mechanical

Here are the rules I will follow :

1- Open on Thursday after 3.45 if the straddle price is under 6.00 .

2- Once the straddle is open , I will put for a vertical with a 10.00 width  if I can get $ 2.00 for it " this will work rarely " about 10 % of the time " but I will try to maximize the winners"

e.g if the straddle open at 950.00, I will put a GTC order to sell 960 calls or 940.00 puts for $ 2.00.

3- Most of the move happens in the morning and the stock stabilize at 12.00 pm , so will check the trade at 12.00 pm and close it if a vertical didn't open for the best I can get ,

this also will serve as a mental stop loss if the stock didn't move much .." this is my mental 20 % stop loss "

if the trade happen to be a vertical then , I will put an order to sell the vertical for 9.7 " 10.00 wide vertical " 

4- If the trade is still open at 3.15 " only happen if it became a vertical that didn't sell for 9.7  " then I will close it for what I can get bet 3.15 and 3.30

I will try to report back how it goes

On 5/16/2017 at 4:27 AM, semsem24 said:

Thank you all for your input

I was thinking about this trade and I decided to try it every Thursday with a very small position , I will try to make it mechanical as much as I can to take the human emotion part out of it ..I put few rules to make it mechanical

Here are the rules I will follow :

1- Open on Thursday after 3.45 if the straddle price is under 6.00 .

2- Once the straddle is open , I will put for a vertical with a 10.00 width  if I can get $ 2.00 for it " this will work rarely " about 10 % of the time " but I will try to maximize the winners"

e.g if the straddle open at 950.00, I will put a GTC order to sell 960 calls or 940.00 puts for $ 2.00.

3- Most of the move happens in the morning and the stock stabilize at 12.00 pm , so will check the trade at 12.00 pm and close it if a vertical didn't open for the best I can get ,

this also will serve as a mental stop loss if the stock didn't move much .." this is my mental 20 % stop loss "

if the trade happen to be a vertical then , I will put an order to sell the vertical for 9.7 " 10.00 wide vertical " 

4- If the trade is still open at 3.15 " only happen if it became a vertical that didn't sell for 9.7  " then I will close it for what I can get bet 3.15 and 3.30

I will try to report back how it goes

I'm not sure if you had done this week. it should be a winner this time.

16 minutes ago, semsem24 said:

It would however the price was over 6.00 yesterday at 3.45 so I passed 

OK. I saw overnight's straddle price for 357.5, the STO on either side almost 10$ away would have given around 1.7 which would have brought down the price in $5+. I saw the long leg was 10+ in afternoon.

I want to update this trade , The first time I was able to open this trade since my original post was on Thursday 06/01 at 3.57 . I opened AMZN . I didn't have it in me to stick to the plan that I wrote and posted above . I felt that the 1000.00 will be a magnet on option expiration day  so I got a little nervous as amzn went higher . 

in Any case I bought the 995.0 for 6.00 , sold the 1002.5 for 2.00 and closed the whole trade for 7.4 . in a for 6.00 , out for 9.4