SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Yowster

NFLX Post-Earnings Trade for a fade.

Now that NFLX earnings has come and gone, with the stock briefly hitting an all-time high (mostly because of guidance for next quarter rather than this quarter's results) I was looking for a trade to play for a fade in the stock, but without really losing anything if the stock continues upward.   I like our RUT BWC trade structure so I looked at using it for NFLX.   Problem is that the strikes for the June monthlies are in increments of 5 and that is too wide for a BWC structure to have good prices, but Jun2 weeklies are available with strikes in increments of 1.   Not a lot of OI in the Jun2 options yet, but the bid/ask spreads are not bad.   Assuming I can get near mid point pricing, I would be looking to buy a slightly OTM put spread with a width of 2 and sell a farther OTM put spread with a width of 4, doing so for zero cost or a small credit (margin of $200 per allocation).   For example, with NFLX a bit over $143 as I write this - I could buy the Jun2 141/139 put spread and sell the 135/131 put spread for right around even money.   I'll likely let the stock settle for a day or two before entering this trade, but wanted to throw the idea out there now for input.

I am looking at this trade and I am not sure if you opened it or not , now the stock moved higher , I am thinking ..

what would have happened if you opened both sides , the calls and the puts ..the other question is when would you close it

I looked at 145/147 and sell 150/155 and I used TOS on demand for April 26 when the stock was at 150.00 . Have you done this trade and the stock moved in the direction we expected , it just happened too fast , you would have lost 70.00 per spread .

3 hours ago, semsem24 said:

I am looking at this trade and I am not sure if you opened it or not , now the stock moved higher , I am thinking ..

what would have happened if you opened both sides , the calls and the puts ..the other question is when would you close it

I looked at 145/147 and sell 150/155 and I used TOS on demand for April 26 when the stock was at 150.00 . Have you done this trade and the stock moved in the direction we expected , it just happened too fast , you would have lost 70.00 per spread .

@semsem24I opened this trade with puts a day or two after this post.  June 2 expiration - 140/138 put debit spread, and 134/130 put credit spread for $0.00.   Stock moved significantly higher, so current position is not worth much, but since I opened for even money all I stand to lose is the few dollars in commissions.  Still has a few more weeks to expiration and would likely close the position on an significant downward move.   Playing both sides would have been a loser on the call side, but I think with NFLX and this type of trade I'd always be going the opposite direction of the earnings move (after giving the stock a couple of days to settle in).