SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Tradier Brokerage Special Offer

699 posts in this topic

I have signed up for Tradier+TradeHawk and have a demo scheduled with Tradehawk today. I had done the ONE trial before and though I liked the analysis part of ONE quite a bit, the integration with IB was clumsy. When you are busy trading you don't grunt work and manual edits to keep positions/orders in sync (my perspective of course). I will also report my experience as I started trading.

Edited by anand331

Question on Partial Fills with Tradier

One question I have for people who've explored the various platforms for Tradier (I apologize if this is touched on elsewhere on the forum--didn't come across it in a quick search)

I have issues completing trades when the order size is large due to the need to cancel and re-enter the order at a different price. Interactive Brokers TWS and mobile allow a quick toggling to try to fill more of the order and seem more practical when scaling up. Otherwise I love Tradier for my small Roth account where fills are small.

Do TradeHawk or any of the other platforms allow quick toggling of the Net Credit/Net Debit to try to convert a partial fill into a full fill without having to re-enter the order de novo? It would be a game changer for a larger account in my opinion.

18 hours ago, DrBG said:

Do TradeHawk or any of the other platforms allow quick toggling of the Net Credit/Net Debit to try to convert a partial fill into a full fill without having to re-enter the order de novo? It would be a game changer for a larger account in my opinion.

Yes, TradeHawk allows to modify an existing order price in the Orders window, to hit Send button, and the system automatically cancels an existing order and sends a new one.

Take a look at "Take the Tour: 30 minute tour of the platform" video here for an example how this works. Orders window discussion starts approximately on 10:30:

https://www.mytradehawk.com/videos/

13 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

Yes, TradeHawk allows to modify an existing order price in the Orders window, to hit Send button, and the system automatically cancels an existing order and sends a new one.

Take a look at "Take the Tour: 30 minute tour of the platform" video here for an example how this works. Orders window discussion starts approximately on 10:30:

https://www.mytradehawk.com/videos/

While this is true for initial open orders, it is not the case for partially filled orders which can no longer be modified.

Just now, SBatch said:

While this is true for initial open orders, it is not the case for partially filled orders which can no longer be modified.

i think in that case, we need to "Save" the order for watchlist, place order. Cancel partially filled, reload with new price.

I saw in tradehawk, "Save" strategy is nice it shows price at the time of saving, with current price and also shows P/L.

9 minutes ago, krisbee said:

i think in that case, we need to "Save" the order for watchlist, place order. Cancel partially filled, reload with new price.

I saw in tradehawk, "Save" strategy is nice it shows price at the time of saving, with current price and also shows P/L.

You can also click on the canceled or filled order from the order window and it automatically repopulates the trade ticket.

Another very good feature that I see in tradehawk is, it can be used to to trade multiple account from the same window by choosing Account #s from a dropdown, the whole window content changes.

I was trying to move my IRA to IB (good I didn't move there yet), we have to login multiple times and it's separate windows to trade different account.

At IB you can set up a master account (Advisor) that controls other accounts (Clients) with one log in and a drop down menu

I have personal, 401(k), LLC, and IRA accounts available under the master account login.

2 minutes ago, aircal said:

At IB you can set up a master account (Advisor) that controls other accounts (Clients) with one log in and a drop down menu

I have personal, 401(k), LLC, and IRA accounts available under the master account login.

Good to know. Customer representative didn’t mention that when I talked. 

56 minutes ago, aircal said:

Are you considered a professional for data stream prices once a LLC is linked to your master account?

IB considers the master a professional when linked to a corporation and the data prices are significantly higher.

Edited by traveller

6 minutes ago, traveller said:

Are you considered a professional for data stream prices once a LLC is linked to your master account?

IB considers the master a professional when linked to a corporation and the data prices are significantly higher.

You’re master account has to be an individual for it to stay non professional. An LLC automatically makes it professional account. For FA account I believe you can manage up to 15 accounts and stay non pro. 

17 hours ago, krisbee said:

Another very good feature that I see in tradehawk is, it can be used to to trade multiple account from the same window by choosing Account #s from a dropdown, the whole window content changes.

I was trying to move my IRA to IB (good I didn't move there yet), we have to login multiple times and it's separate windows to trade different account.

@krisbee at IB you can link accounts (not master/feeder structure) and then you can login once and pick account in the order ticket. I do that currently with my accounts.

20 hours ago, SBatch said:

@SBatch, Thanks for the correction! A couple of questions:

1. Did you talk on this issue with TradeHawk developers? Should be relatively easy to fix.

2. How do you deal with partially filled orders yourself? Do your click on a canceled order to automatically repopulate the trade ticket as you suggested above? If so, does TradeHawk substitute correctly the number of the contracts not filled yet, or uses initial trade size?

I signed up for Tradier account, so I am going to find out the answers myself soon. Right now I just want to collect the best practices.

3 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

1. Did you talk on this issue with TradeHawk developers? Should be relatively easy to fix.

2. How do you deal with partially filled orders yourself? Do your click on a canceled order to automatically repopulate the trade ticket as you suggested above? If so, does TradeHawk substitute correctly the number of the contracts not filled yet, or uses initial trade size?

I signed up for Tradier account, so I am going to find out the answers myself soon. Right now I just want to collect the best practices.

20 hours ago, SBatch said:

You can also click on the canceled or filled order from the order window and it automatically repopulates the trade ticket.

Glad we're having a discussion to figure out some best practices -- I think the issue is more central to how Tradier processes fills and orders. If you look at the web interface when a partial fill is executed, the order can no longer be edited to adjust the limit price. It seems like a cancelled and repopulated ticket is the best thing software using the API can aim for...I didn't know about that trick, but it saves a lot of time for complex spreads. I will likely be investigating TradeHawk at some point to use this. Thanks to Simon and everyone for your suggestions.

40 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

1.  It is a Tradier issue so TradeHawk’s hands are tied.

2.  Yes, I click on the cancelled order.  No, it does not change it to the unfilled number of contracts but rather reverts to the original order amount. One just needs to adjust the number accordingly.

In general TradeHawk makes creating complex option orders easier by far than any other software I have used.  One simply clicks on the Bid to buy or the Ask to sell a contract from either the Portfolio window or the option chains.  It automatically recognizes whether it is an opening or closing order based on one’s holdings and populates the trade ticket at the mid.

45 minutes ago, SBatch said:

1.  It is a Tradier issue so TradeHawk’s hands are tied.

Actually, they are not. TradeHawk can emulate the desired behavior - when user asks to modify partially filled order, cancel an order on the exchange, allow user to modify order parameters, send a new order. Yes, it requires some effort from the software developers, but it can be done.

45 minutes ago, SBatch said:

2.  No, it does not change it to the unfilled number of contracts but rather reverts to the original order amount. One just needs to adjust the number accordingly.

Again, looks like a good candidate for a feature request (adjust order size to the unfilled number of contracts.

Ok, I'll talk to TradeHawk developers myself and ask for these features once I get my hands on TradeHawk software. Let's see what they reply.

Edited by Stanislav

2 hours ago, Stanislav said:

Actually, they are not. TradeHawk can emulate the desired behavior - when user asks to modify partially filled order, cancel an order on the exchange, allow user to modify order parameters, send a new order. Yes, it requires some effort from the software developers, but it can be done.

Again, looks like a good candidate for a feature request (adjust order size to the unfilled number of contracts.

Ok, I'll talk to TradeHawk developers myself and ask for these features once I get my hands on TradeHawk software. Let's see what they reply.

They are extremely responsive and open to suggestions.  The modification for partial orders would be a good addition.

On 1/15/2018 at 11:02 AM, Stanislav said:

Just FYI.  I forwarded this conversation to Kosta (Lead dev for Tradehawk).  He's going to prioritize this and said it shouldn't be hard.  He plans to auto-populate the remainder of a partially filled order into the order screen when you hit cancel so you can adjust and hit send right away.

@SBatch, all others on Tradier+TradeHawk I have been getting an error message (started late yesterday) indicating "too many people trying to access website, try again later). You have to keep hitting OK button and eventually it goes away. It leaves the option chain unpopulated at times although if I try to put in the ticker, it works. I called tradehawk and they said it is a tradier issue and they are working on it.Is anyone else having this issue?

Just now, anand331 said:

@SBatch, all others on Tradier+TradeHawk I have been getting an error message (started late yesterday) indicating "too many people trying to access website, try again later). You have to keep hitting OK button and eventually it goes away. It leaves the option chain unpopulated at times although if I try to put in the ticker, it works. I called tradehawk and they said it is a tradier issue and they are working on it.Is anyone else having this issue?

Yes, same issue.  I just spoke with Kosta and he is currently working with Tradier.

1 minute ago, anand331 said:

should be load issue. i faced it last evening around 4:45pm eastern time. See if you can login directly in website. that's the workaround to execute order.

Thanks @SBatch. Looks like it is working but I am afraid that it might be working off of stale market data or something, so can't really say if my P&L is showing correctly or not.

The data looks to be up to date in TradeHawk.

Yes started having this issue yesterday after close

1 minute ago, krisbee said:

I placed order by phone call.

Rep told me they are rebooting the server. ( @Djtux Remember restarting? :) )

Thanks,

Sadly it can happen to everyone, even to very big players like AWS.

At least you managed to place an order. Do you get to pay fees for a phone order in that situation ?

1 minute ago, Djtux said:

Sadly it can happen to everyone, even to very big players like AWS.

At least you managed to place an order. Do you get to pay fees for a phone order in that situation ?

I didn't check that with him. But I expressed my displeasure with him, and also asked them to pick the call in 2 rings when I call :) 

5 minutes ago, krisbee said:

I didn't check that with him. But I expressed my displeasure with him, and also asked them to pick the call in 2 rings when I call :) 

https://d2ronhuflgo4cz.cloudfront.net/tbi/tbi_fee_schedule-07202016.pdf

Is it the fee under "Broker Assisted Trading (additional fee)" $10 ?

The fee pdf was found on this page : http://try.tradier.com/steady-o-013/

Edited by Djtux

I'm in the process of opening an IRA. With all these problems I may not transfer funds from Fidelity to do it. They make opening accounts difficult and their trading platform leaves a lot to be desired unless you're willing to spend an additional monthly charge for a 3rd party platform.

@mrw02536 while I agree that these problems are painful but it is hard to beat their commissions considering SO trades. I am maintaining both IB account just for backup and for VIX/SVXY/SPX (Calendar) trades and using Tradier for everything else. Even though I have been with them around a week, the fills are not bad (though I see stale market data frequently) and hope that these problems will be fixed in short order.