SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Vancouver

PCLN May 2015 Calendar

Vancouver - I know you like to track the upcoming candidates early, so I'm wondering how the current PCLN calendar price compares to what you can typically open the spread for around a week before earnings???  For a stock that can move a lot, I'll open the spread early if the price is much better than what I could get around a week before earnings - but if its in the same ballpark price then I'll typically wait a bit.

Thanks for sharing. Were you able to get filled anywhere near the mid?

My notes show 0.4% for the double calendar which translates to 4.80 or 2.40 per spread. So the prices are good, but as mentioned, this stock can move a LOT, so opening so early is tricky.

Thanks for sharing. Were you able to get filled anywhere near the mid?

My notes show 0.4% for the double calendar which translates to 4.80 or 2.40 per spread. So the prices are good, but as mentioned, this stock can move a LOT, so opening so early is tricky.

Might be mistaken but I was quite surprised to get in about 0.15 below the mid.

Yep lesson learned but up til today the 1190 put calendar had held up fairly well to the move but is starting to give it up now. Will probably adjust later this week but want see where it goes.

You can see why I'm hesitant to enter this one, especially so early. The stock is at 1250 already.

I fail to see the point of this comment - TSLA has moved much more than this on a percentage basis since the official trade was opened.

It is true that the trade is a bit off now, but note that the ATM calendars are still trading around 2.40-2.50.

This means that the increase in calendar prices didn't happen yet...

It's always difficult to know when this would start happening (and sometimes it doesn't...) but based on previous cycles, I expect calendar spreads which are out of the money by as many as 60-70 points to trade at least at $3.00 a spread.

i got a few partial fills on on 1235C  and 1240C yesterday morning for 2.20 and 2.30.  I had 1240P and and 1250P  filled at 2.35 this morning right after the open..  The put seems to be cheaper than the call   

Any idea on how resilient these calendar can be ?   can it hold value if stock moved 60 points ?    i played it few cycle ago and the IV were all over the place on last 2 days before earning, i did exit for a profit but not as much as if i closed it few days before earning.

The rule of thumb is that price of the weekly straddle is more or less how far the price can go without the calendars suffering too much. For PCLN sit about 6-7% last time I looked.

If the prices stay below 2.50 by Friday, I might consider it. The spreads are huge, but my impression is that fills are pretty good, sometimes even below the mid.

I agree. I checked previous cycles, and 3.50-4.00 was the average range a day before earnings. Of course, as we have seen with LNKD and FSLR, past cycles not always repeat themselves.