SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Hany

IB Mosaic Interface on a Chromebook

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a chromebook for trading, but I'm not sure it can run the Mosaic interface from Interactive Brokers.  I tried speaking to someone at IB's customer support about this, but he wasn't helpful.  Has anyone tried using a chromebook?  Can it load the Mosaic interface from Interactive Brokers?  Any feedback and comments would be really appreciated.  Thanks!

Hany

I would be careful. "Chromebooks are shipped with Google Chrome OS, an operating system that uses the Linux kernel and the Google Chrome web browser with an integrated media player"

I believe that TWS and Mosaic run are designed for either Mac OS X or Windows.

Check the TWS system requirements at this link:  https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1537

Hi Hany, 

I definitely would not recommend a Chromebook for trading via IB platform, 

This is actually what I do but my reason being that I'm a programmer who have rooted my Chromebook to use Ubuntu Linux (instead of ChromeOS); and even then, I don't even use my Chromebook to run IB TWS natively but instead use it as a remote desktop client to log onto my Amazon Web Service virtual machine in the cloud to remotely access IB and ToS; my reasons for doing this convoluted way is because I have a lot of my stuff in the cloud, so I'm just using my Chromebook as a dumb remote access screen,  

If you'd like a cheap laptop, I'd definitely recommend something that's a low-end Window laptop than a Chromebook; Chromebooks are cheap and nice for surfing the web and doing everyday stuff like e-mails, music but not so good for specific stuff like coding, graphics design or trading, 

Best,

PC

Hi guys.  Thank you so much for all the feedback.  I did some reading on the web, and apparently the IB interface requires Java, which can't be installed on chromebooks.  So a chromebook cannot be used for trading.  

Maxtodorov, let me know know how the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 works out for you.  Since it has a microsoft operating system, it should be okay.