SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

my IB account sold all my positions that i had GTC orders for less than orders were put in for some less than half im on hold rite now trying to talk to someone. Anyone else have this problem?

Bret

I just talked to rep and they said they had a tech glitch and will open credit back positions but cant close xom until they get it fixed but at least they are working to fix it  He said they will send notification but will have to re enter GTC orders to close.

Bret

I must say this is very unusual. I'm with IB for almost 10 years, never had any issues. But at least they admit the problem which is a good thing. From what I hear about IB, their customer support can be very stubborn. 

This is first time Iv had this kind of issue but when I talked torep were already aware of problem and he said all they were waiting for is OK from top and he said that when it is done it will be as though it never happened. Even though it is a little inconvenient I will be happy if they come thru with there solution. And to be honest Iv had pretty good luck with customer service so I really cant complain.

Bret

Same thing happened to me.  Open GTC orders were sold at market at 9:30 on the dot.  I have been slammed at work this morning so have not yet had a chance to call.  A number of calendar spreads were sold at about 1/3 of my limit price for enormous losses.  I am beyond relieved to know they are acknowledging the glitch. 

Same here. IB said it was a fault witg the exchange.

Yep, as similar liquidations happened in my TradeKing account, as well.  At least they sent me a message (pasted below), which would have been nice from IB, as I was in full panic mode upon realizing what had happened this morning, and for almost an hour while I was away from my computer I feared it was a result of negligent order entry on my part.

Dear Investor,

Please be advised that the NYSE / AMEX option exchange experienced a technical issue this morning that caused execution reports for some multi leg option orders at invalid prices. You may have a multi leg execution that could be impacted and prices may be adjusted or executions cancelled.

Please contact us at 877-495-5464 with any questions.

Sincerely,

John Dominic | VP of Trading, TradeKing, LLC

They said it was NYSE exchange and they are still waiting to see what the exchange does before they can handle it but I am interested to see how they handle the ebay and xom trades because I would have exited but cant since the exchange sold at market. But I think you can get someone on live chat quicker to talk to someone because called this morning first thing and i was on hold for good while and i am sure people are calling in backlog. But anyway they assured me they would take care of it,but have not heard anything yet.

I got this message from IB a few minutes ago:

Dear IB Trader,

Due to the ARCA/AMEX execution issues from this morning, it has been indicated that your account was affected by this Exchange issue and the trades deemed erroneous by the Exchanges will be cancelled out of the account. Exchange information is currently being processed and is expected to be reflected in the affected accounts some time after 10:00pm ET. Until that time, we will likely not have specific information regarding the trades that are being cancelled in each account, but we ask that the account be monitored carefully after that time.

Feel free to contact us if any clarification is required regarding this incident.

Regards,

Interactive Brokers Customer Service

Yep seems they (the exchange) are cancelling these orders now. However after speaking to IB rep at market open they told me the exchange probably would NOT cancel these trades as they were within bid/offer and I should 'manage my risk as I see fit and apply for compensation' so I bought back the affected position, now looks like I'll have double my initial position when they cancel the earlier sell. Curious how they will handle that. If position is up first thing tomorrow I obviously just flatten it but will see what they say if it's down...

Edited by Marco

Upon logging in this morning i found that all my erroneous positions that were exited yesterday, seem to have been reinstated. Can anyone confirm if this has happened for them? I assume I can exit these positions as if nothing had happened yesterday?

Upon logging in this morning i found that all my erroneous positions that were exited yesterday, seem to have been reinstated. Can anyone confirm if this has happened for them? I assume I can exit these positions as if nothing had happened yesterday?

Yes this is what IB said it would do. You can file for compensation if you think it cost you, it did for me on XOM but I'm just happy to get the trades and money back so for myself I am good with it.

Bret

Guest Peter

I have a simple question: After I rolled a straddle, I automatically have a Strangle. That means I've a long call and a long Put in the TWS. Question: Do I have to close the two lags individually or can I build a matching Strangle to close the trade? so I have to give only one order.

My latest IB software is not showing complex positions in optionTrader portfolio tab. It just shows individual legs and positions. It is showing complex positions on the main portfolio tab as well in quote monitor. This started happening after the last friday update. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?