SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Romuald

OptionNET Explorer Backtesting

Hi everyone,

I would like to start a topic about backtesting with OptionNET Explorer (ONE). I am a new user to this software so certainly have I very basic questions. I am using ONE v2.0.75 BETA version.

My goal was to understand better how backtesting is working with ONE so I started with the helper of ONE. I only found one match for "backtesting" and it was a video :

-XwyQVhCz01GN5C5GZlbPuoyvNXEjwKn4L3hNTU9

Did you guys see other informations about backtesting in ONE?

So I watched it. Here is a brief summary of this video (I do not mention "special" features like adjustment for example). I let you read it then, at the end, I would have some questions. 

1. Choose the account45tvZVbldXGko54J_hPXRdxGFlD6T446AmShhenK
  2. Choose the date and time when you want the backtest to start. The buttons allow you to increment date and time in the past or in the future.1W4l3fc0IVp2LQxQuPkja0Ee-gYpgG2c8vu_rvic
  3. Select the underlying1S5iD_NVwC-KSbi9A9AzoljLqTI88B2Z5-ifH8Hs
  4. Note that the chain option corresponding to the underlying and the expiration date now appears9ncwPHr2mUwB-p-6lmnw6Y2Mggth_nc9ZCtOXUa3
  5. You are now ready to model your trade. Enter the required numbers (in format “+” or “-” if you want to buy or sell)_E67FG12Y7p_26S-8IhgrnUIe-7AjUqoZ3ZqveZI
  6. The risk profile screen area is automatically updatedQqey3FPIiOji99BbVzpCmoGlk2ChBEYne_427cYk
  7. When the model is completed, press the “Commit Trade” buttonC3sddtYoNTQPi8XcwQ9LBpCn8XiRfVq8qSHrr4y2Note : in the v2.0.75 BETA the button is here Ewd2yILwJImIHSjj_2PvAHp3do3GGI2DBd9rk0uX
  8. Complete the Trade Documentation in the pop-up windowxHzq_RyKgteVDdJ7cm1FX9GLYbxMZBarf9oRCkqX
  9. Note that the numbers you entered in the Model column are now moved into the Pos columnn42cjjZPsIfF5Jkh2_Vrr9BRzh3_RnSn5BgGN2lo
  10. You can now go forward in time by clicking on the Date and Time buttonsd40P7j7j-yx6PZ26OLl0T91NMV-G5S3SyYrFxQNz
  11. To close the trade, simply counter add the positions in the Model column (replace “-” by “+” and “+” by “-” signs). Then, as usual, commit the closing trade by clicking on “Commit Trade”uMuJD4Mfd-wt2I8Hgwwi1NaEfCdwqGVJNGl4gFnX
  12. The trade is now closed and you can see the report by clicking on “Reports”QfpHjYiEn7EX9FZHuLWbcib1BGy_fzApOF9sAnsKbs3HHBvlFwkDdVxdaJGMfgjolrY0HYvScukhPfCk
  13. Fine Tuning. Once the backtest closed, it is possible to change the price of the options (putting for example the price of today) and see how the backtest reacts.  jQV-koyZ7RD-d5ZOCOb93eYrxmankb7pPKUlDny0
  14. Click on “Trade Log”. The result appears in the backtest trade window

Wd4fv58KAjyAqY0XE0f6WESWBjsTo6oMevdSRHCW

Here is an example. Following an alert received by one my program (technical trigger), I simulated a bull put spread on MSFT, delta's 20 and 11, expiration 22 days from now. To make a backtest I followed the check list here above like this :

1. Date and Time : 11-MARS-2021 (the date I want to backtest)

2. Puts deltas the closest to 20 and 11 with expiration date the closest of 22 days (at that time, it was 21 days). 

3. I clicked on the "Date and Time" Button to go from one day to the other. When the gain was OK for me I closed the trade.

4. Here is the result :

image.png

image.png

Now I have some questions :

1. Are the green points the P&L of each day until I closed the trade?
  2. Is that backtest only related to year 2021? I mean : ONE has not automatically entered a new trade as soon as I closed mine, right?
  3. No technical triggering is possible, OK?
  4. If I well understand, I have to go manually, day after day, then close my trade when I am OK with the gain. If I want to make an other backtest, I have to begin from start (entering a new date, selecting a new expiration date, etc.)?
  5. Now here is the part "Analysis" of the report image.png It looks like all the positions are plotted there (real, tests, etc.). Is it possible to have the equity curve for that backtest over years?

Thank you for your reading. Please do not hesitate to comment.

On 3/11/2024 at 1:41 PM, Romuald said:

Are the green points the P&L of each day until I closed the trade?

I think the dots (green or red) represent the different P&L's for the day in the projection

On 3/11/2024 at 1:41 PM, Romuald said:

If I well understand, I have to go manually, day after day, then close my trade when I am OK with the gain. If I want to make an other backtest, I have to begin from start (entering a new date, selecting a new expiration date, etc.)?

As far as I know ONE doesn't offer automated backtesting in the sense that you can set the parameters and the software repeats trade after trade after trade 

2 hours ago, Magnetar said:

Now that we're venting about TradeHawk... I find it to be an absolutely terrible platform. It's extremely buggy and clunky. I switched from TOS to TradeHawk mainly because of the commissions, but oh boy... You definitely pay for those commissions in a different way. I still use TOS to analyze, charts, etc... 

I wanted to use ONE, but I am a Mac user, and ONE keeps crashing with Parallels. But at this point, I'm considering going back to ONE again, even if it crashes. I just hate TradeHawk too much.

Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest.

@Magnetar I am replying here regarding your issues with ONE and Parallels because I think it is a better fit than SteadyYields. The latest version of ONE (beta v2.0.78) has included support for the M family of Apple chips, if you use the 32 bit version. 

image.png

15 hours ago, Bullfighter said:

@Magnetar I am replying here regarding your issues with ONE and Parallels because I think it is a better fit than SteadyYields. The latest version of ONE (beta v2.0.78) has included support for the M family of Apple chips, if you use the 32 bit version. 

Yes, this thread is more appropriate :)  I vented my frustration in the wrong thread when TradeHawk came up. Thanks for replying.

Maybe I need to revisit my experience with ONE and Parallels. As far as I remember, they were already compatible, allowing the application to launch and run on Parallels. However, I encountered numerous crashes, especially when using Tradier as the API for live data. 

Based on my observations:

- Lots of crashes using the ONE Beta 

- Less crashes using ONE stable

- Crashes were way more frequent when using Tradier API for live data.

Another issue I encountered was that whenever ONE crashed, it didn't auto-save my progress. If I had added two or three different positions, they would all be deleted upon crashing, which was incredibly frustrating.

Do you run ONE in Parallels? Are you experiencing crashes? 

No, I just rent a server which I access via Remote Desktop. There's a lot of vendors out there, like Hetzner, OVHcloud, Contabo,...
I use thinkorswim for my live data. Tradier does not provide live quotes for index options like VIX or SPX, nor did I find a way to pay for those to get them. This messes up the option pricing model, because you DO get an underlying quote, it's just that it's 15 minutes delayed. Not a problem with ETFs like TLT or TMF.

You can switch the live feed to Tradier only when transmitting the order, then switch back to thinkorswim for monitoring. 

Thank you for the tips. I thought about utilizing a cloud computer, but I'm hesitant to rely on yet another service or subscription to maintain my setup.

It seems like I switched to Traider to save on commissions, but now I find myself having to pay for other services to make up for the features it lacks.