SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

equus

Risk of Ruin by taxation - check your destination country's tax rules for options

A little cautionary tale to those who might at some point be considering to move to another country and continue trading options - be sure to check the tax rules for options trading before you make the move, even if the country is well regarded.

Last year I made the move to Germany and became officially resident, only to find out that the tax laws had been changed a couple of years earlier to make options trading ruinously expensive. When it came time this January to file my taxes here, I discovered that I'm facing a tax bill of some several hundred percent on my trading profits from 2022, which fortunately were only modest. If it had been a good year this could have been ruinous but even so the tax is bill is still going to hurt quite a lot.

My tax advisor here (Steuerberater in German) advised me to leave the country. Another possibility apparently is to consider setting up a limited liability company (GmbH) as a vehicle through which to trade, since these regressive tax laws only apply to individuals and not companies. There is a Steadyoptions thread where these tax laws were discussed here. Here is a link to the accountants KPMG on the subject.

Edited by equus