SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Guest Corto

Some thoughts on SO vs. my other trading/investments

Guest Corto

I've tried many different strategies in the past, most recently I had been doing pyramids (Stewart Thomson, Graceland Updates, https://www.gracelandupdates.com/) with GDXJ and SIL. Of everything I've tried over the years, it had been the best because of giving a lot of emphasis on taking profits and limiting position size. However, even this method breaks down if a stock, such as GDXJ, goes down and pretty much stays down.

The more I watch my portfolio oscillate up and down, the more I think I have made the right decision with SO. The strategy with the straddles and strangles is a "come on, throw whatever you've got at me, it can't hurt me too much" setup. Sure, a lot of the trades end up stagnant or small losers or small winners. But you know, that is better than watching a long term holding drip, drip, drip losses forever!

It's really weird for me today. I have watched my main holding outside of SO, which is GDXJ, go from 24 last month to a bit above 20 today. I do sell calls on it to hedge and make a little money back when it goes down, but for the most part I am shaking my head wondering why the f*@! have I been in this for the past three years at a loss waiting for some grand event to start a rise in the price. Gold, silver and the miners should go up over time, if you expect money to continue to be printed, but it sure is a long, slow agonizing ride!

SO offers me the best opportunity to limit risk in almost any market situation, and personally I am ready to step up my trades from the 1k/trade average I have been doing. If I look at some of my current losses on other issues, it would literally take years of SO trades doing badly to reach those levels of losses! And I don't expect that.

It seems I have had the mental epiphany I was hoping for today. Time to focus more on what SO offers!

Mike

• Upvote 1

Good luck Mike.

One thing is for sure. There are some great members on this site, and Kim is a top notch honest guy.

I just wish I could find a gamma strategy that worked for someone who can't monitor during the day!

Mike, I came to the same conclusion about stocks. No matter how safe the stock appears, in a 2008 like event everything goes down. Covered calls can only reduce the loss by few percent.