SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

Our Picks included in emails

Our Picks attached to emails  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello All,

The latest version of the forum software includes a cool feature called "Our Picks". It allows the forum admin to select few articles or forum posts that might be of interest to the community, and include the links to those articles in all emails coming from the community.

This feature allows us to share some important and useful updates that members might miss otherwise.

However, some members requested to remove those picks from emails because the emails become too long when those links are attached. I'm seeking members feedback if they want to leave those picks in the emails or remove them.

54 minutes ago, Noah Katz said:

I chose Remove, because even though they're interesting, during the week they're a distraction when we're trying to keep up with trades and discussion posts.

How about put them all in one email sent out on Saturdays.

Agreed. I find them very useful but a weekly digest would be more useful than the current implementation.

This is not really an alternative. The current setting is automatic, I just enable it and Our Picks are automatically attached to emails. If I disable it, I will need to create a custom email every weekend. Which I might do occasionally - but it won't be automatic.

When did flicking your thumb or scrolling a mouse become cumbersome?

I rarely notice the extra content as I need to click on the "go to this post" button in the email.  The few times I've seen the extra content below its proven to be a good read.  FWIW, I view these emails in the gmail app, others may see things differently 

For members who are busy during the day and following discussion posts through their email, there may be little value in having to scroll through multiple copies of the "our picks" section in the email chain. 

I do believe that a section like this is great to have and valuable when there is time to review the links after the trading day concludes. 

59 minutes ago, lrfsdad said:

When did flicking your thumb or scrolling a mouse become cumbersome?

I rarely notice the extra content as I need to click on the "go to this post" button in the email.  The few times I've seen the extra content below its proven to be a good read.  FWIW, I view these emails in the gmail app, others may see things differently 

I view it on Gmail too. Also I don't click go to this post , I read it all in the email. So when I follow a discussion topic and let's say there are 30 replies I have to scroll through 30*4 = 120 of our picks ..that's a lot of redundancy. And most times the our picks occupy most of a reply. If its possible to show up only once a thread..I'm all over it. But I doubt if that could be done. 

Selected remove because the picks are typically just the same 4 links repeated with each email. I read and enjoyed Kim's recent blog posts very much--I don't need to see links to them again with every email.

Is there an option for: dont care? I have a preview pane for the emails that get sent to me. I never bother to read anything under the main body of the email - nothing personal - for business I already get 200+ emails per day and you tend to be ruthless in your email management to even survive.

Looks like clear majority of members want to continue see those picks attached to emails. However, there is also a significant number of member who want them removed, and I cannot ignore it. So this is what I will do:

1. Reduce the number of picks from 4 to 2 as some members voted for this option. This will significantly reduce the scrolling.
  2. Turn them off on busy days, and turn on on weekends.

I hope this solution is acceptable.

12 minutes ago, Kim said:

Looks like clear majority of members want to continue see those picks attached to emails. However, there is also a significant number of member who want them removed, and I cannot ignore it. So this is what I will do:

1. Reduce the number of picks from 4 to 2 as some members voted for this option. This will significantly reduce the scrolling.
  2. Turn them off on busy days, and turn on on weekends.

I hope this solution is acceptable.

I think it is a good compromise.

21 hours ago, Kim said:

This is not really an alternative. The current setting is automatic, I just enable it and Our Picks are automatically attached to emails.

@KimIs there a middle-ground alternative where you would enable "Our Picks" during the weekend/holidays only? I don't know how much work is involved to enable and disable it. IMO, there are few benefits to do so.

• reducing noises for the active members 
  • enhancing the effectiveness of the message
  • promoting the "our picks" interesting articles to less-active members

In this information-overloaded era, I personally think attaching it to every email is overkill and it becomes less effective. After a while, one would mentally filter it so they are no longer "see" them. Just my 2 cents.