SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

jacobogrady

Options premium selling example question.

Selling options example. Lets say I am selling FB with a current stock price of $145 and do an OTM naked put option at $120/0.03 last price. I sell 800 contracts which would be a total cost of $2,400 with an expiration date of 11/16/18. If FB stays above $120 by expiration in 5 days I would get to keep 100% of the premium as profit? I am confused by this since it seems like I am missing something. Thanks.

P.S. I highly doubt you will get 0.03 for 120 puts. And your margin for selling 800 puts would be almost one million dollar. So even if you could get 0.03 and keep all the premium, the return on margin would be 0.24%, before commissions. Hardly worth the risk.

Plus keep in mind that it’s not at all uncommon for FB to move $10 or $20 in a day - often to the downside. Naked puts at $120 (especially at the size you’re talking about) could quickly turn into a disaster.