SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Crazy ayzo

Strangling or straddling the midterms?

I would like to trade either straddles or strangles on QQQ (or other candidate) based on the Mid term elections (Tues, Nov 6th).  My thesis is;

* It seems like political events are effecting the market in a major way (Fed, Midterms, trade war)... maybe more so than fundamentals at this point.

* The market believes that an election causes uncertainty and volatility leading up to it.  The market generally goes up after the election is over, regardless of who wins.

* Volatility is likely to stay high, or even increase, leading up to Nov 6th, and fall after that.

* Therefore, it seems like buying straddles or strangles this week and selling them on Monday or Tuesday Nov 5/6 would be a good bet.

*** Does any one have any specific opinions on this, or on trading big political events in general?

@Kim,

Well, I didn't get any response on how to play the election, so I took a beginner's guess and went long... I bought VXX puts yesterday and 8 days ago.  Here's how it played out!

187% on  the 8 day trade, and 86% on a one day trade!  Just shy of $8,000 in gains.  I can't thank you enough for the SO site.  What I learned on volatility trading has been very profitable.

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 1.43.55 PM.png

86% on a one day trade!

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 1.43.20 PM.png

@akito

... I'm getting closer to the century mark!