SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

candreouTrade

Delta Hedging Straddles

@Kim - I was wondering if you could provide a detailed explanation on Delta Hedging the straddle.

Often when I have a straddle on and I am at about 6% with good stock movement, I am not sure if I should Delta hedge by :

1) converting the straddle into strangle OR

2) by selling OTM options on the side the stock has moved.

It would be good to get a detailed explanation as to which one we would use when, and the benefits of each. 

I understand that converting to a strangle can make us delta neutral, and we can still make gamma gains from the stock move in either direction. I am not so clear how the hedging works when selling options (also which week options should we sell for the delta hedge)? Also i am not clear if we still make money if the stock moves either way?

An explanation with some PnL charts from Option NET would be really helpful along with when to use one Delta hedge over the other.

Our goal is to be delta neutral. So lets take the latest YUM trade as an example.

On Friday we had the May04 85.5 straddle and Apr20 short 84.5/86.5 strangle. The stock was at 86.40.

image.png

After closing the Apr20 strangle, we needed to sell Apr27 options in order to remain delta neutral. Since the stock moved from the straddle price, the best way to stay delta neutral was selling Apr27 86.5 call.

image.png

On Tuesday the stock moved to 85.20:

image.png

The trade became delta negative (-33 delta) so we sold Apr27 84.5 put to get back to delta neutral:

image.png

Now remember: reducing delta will turn against you if the stock continues the same direction. But our goal is to reduce risk, even if it means to reduce gains in some cases. We trade non-directionally, we do not want to take directional bets.

But if we decide to do normal straddles, and the price of the normal straddle is good in terms of RV. Do we still use delta hedging by converting to strangles or do we sell options?

I recently came across this issue when selling pure straddle on SBUX.

Edited by candreouTrade