SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

marcekowalski

Initiating straddle like strategies in a high/falling volatility environment

As we have just seen, buying calls and puts in a low volatility environment presents an opportunity for extrinsic value appreciation as vol increases.  I sold to close all my SPY straddles today which, in addition to being deep in the money, were up sharply due to the VIX  spike.

What strategies are similar in profit versus spot price characteristics to straddles that are safe to open in an elevated volatility market like we have now? 

Edited by marcekowalski

3 hours ago, marcekowalski said:

As we have just seen, buying calls and puts in a low volatility environment presents an opportunity for extrinsic value appreciation as vol increases.  I sold to close all my SPY straddles today which, in addition to being deep in the money, were up sharply due to the VIX  spike.

What strategies are similar in profit versus spot price characteristics to straddles that are safe to open in an elevated volatility market like we have now?

@marcekowalski The problem is there is not a great trade setup that profits from falling IV, but can also tolerate significant price movement.    The closest is probably an iron condor - elevated IV allows you to sell farther OTM wings and still collect a decent credit.   If IV falls, it will really help the trade.   However, if stock price move is really big it could still be a loser.

What about an unbalanced put butterfly (1/3/2) on VXX? Shift all the risk far to the downside. Put the trade on for a small credit and have an advantage with IV falling as VXX comes in?

23 minutes ago, jrod said:

What about an unbalanced put butterfly (1/3/2) on VXX? Shift all the risk far to the downside. Put the trade on for a small credit and have an advantage with IV falling as VXX comes in?

@jrodThe problem is that this could become a "thread the needle' trade where the VXX has to fall - but not too far.   Big gaps in VXX can happen overnight, so it would be easy to envision a scenario where VXX gaps down below your put strikes.  That's a general thought - not sure what expiration and what strikes you are talking about specifically.  I guess it would be less risk if you used farther OTM strikes.

Yes, I'd look at something like 44/38/32. And yes a big gap down could hurt, but the vol would likely begin to collapse, helping the trade. Not a big hitter, but takes advantage of falling vol with risk limited to the downside and potential for a solid profit. Just my 2 cents.