SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Alvin Leong

Mango Butterfly

Hi All,

Has anyone has any experience with the said Mango butterfly of delta neutral trading developed by Jay Bailey from Dan Sheridan? Would like to hear some views and recommendation.

I am actually looking for some cheap and affordable butterfly course for delta neutral trading that i can trade small for like 5k or 10k account. Any recommendation is welcome

I have traded the Mango in the past with mixed results. The 40/50 mango still has trouble in up-trending markets.  I prefer an M3 or a BWB that has no upside risk or even benefits from upside moves (like a 30/50 BWB).  Of course it is more expensive and has more downside risk.  Pairing one of these with a couple Steady Options short strangles would be a good combination.

24 minutes ago, Scott Rogers said:

I have traded the Mango in the past with mixed results. The 40/50 mango still has trouble in up-trending markets.  I prefer an M3 or a BWB that has no upside risk or even benefits from upside moves (like a 30/50 BWB).  Of course it is more expensive and has more downside risk.  Pairing one of these with a couple Steady Options short strangles would be a good combination.

Hi Scott, have you traded the All put flat fly from Mark Fenton?

On 16/07/2017 at 9:45 PM, Scott Rogers said:

If for no upside risk, isn't that trading vertical put spread is better? We only lose if market go down alot.

On 7/17/2017 at 0:53 PM, Alvin Leong said:

If for no upside risk, isn't that trading vertical put spread is better? We only lose if market go down alot.

A vertical put spread is an option as well.  John Locke uses these in his BULL trade which I think is a delta 25 short put and a delta 10 long put. I was doing a 50/30 BWB before but the low IV environment made it so this cannot be done at a credit any longer.  There are so many ways to play a positive trending market that you just have to pick what you are comfortable with and have a plan for what to do on that day when the market takes a large hit.   

@Alvin Leong I started learning butterfly spreads with Gavin McMaster's "Bullshit Free Guide to Butterfly Spreads" (2.99 on Amazon, can pick up for free too). He runs optionstradingiq.com. It is definitely a beginning book, but he lays out a bunch of different variations. His main butterfly trade is a Bearish butterfly, which looks for overbought markets and profits from a slow uptrend and a then a pull back. Thetatrend.com has a lot of info too, it isn't updated anymore as owner got a job trading.