SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Amos

Open Interest,Volume, Bid/Ask Question

I see a lot on this site and others where people talking about a certain criteria for OI(open Interest) and volume for strikes. My question is why even worry about those 2 metrics if the bid/ask is tight?

Now I have seen OI and volume on the low side but with a tight bid/ask spread less than 5 cents. If there is low volume and OI according to those 2 metrics why would the spread be less than 5 cents? Wouldn't that indicate a liquid market?

Edited by Amos

I used to consider OI and volume leading for liquidity, these days I also look at the bid/ask and strongly prefer it to be less than 10% off either bid or ask depending on which side I'm on. However, all things being equal I strongly prefer there to be some OI too. A tight bid/ask could be just one market maker, and what if he decides not to market make as market conditions change? Then I can't exit a position easily. A larger OI/Volume indicate to me that there are (probably) at least be some other participants I could trade with.

But that's just my perception, maybe others could chime in?

Usually, tight bid/ask spreads go along with decent options trading volume and OI - but there certainly may be some exceptions.  However, you also have to look at the underlying stock price, as a 0.05 width bid/ask is a lot different for a $20 stock than it is for a $100 stock

@Ordos

@Yowster

Thanks guys for the replies. You both make interesting points. Yowster I do see what you mean by the higher priced stock as the spreads can be wider for higher priced underlyings. Ordos thats a good point as I didn't think about 1 market maker. Thank you fellas for the replies.

On 8/3/2016 at 9:00 AM, Yowster said:

Usually, tight bid/ask spreads go along with decent options trading volume and OI - but there certainly may be some exceptions.  However, you also have to look at the underlying stock price, as a 0.05 width bid/ask is a lot different for a $20 stock than it is for a $100 stock

@Yowster   Trading volume and Open Interest (OI) seem to be important. Do you routinely look at those parameters as you finalize a trade? Would you move to a strike that has high OI to obtain a "more tradeable" position? Does a high OI make a nearby strike more favorable?