SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Guest David

Implied Volatility Graphs for Futures

Guest David

Hi,

I am obviously looking in the wrong places because I would just like to be able to view a normal bar chart of an underlying with a graph of it's IV underneath.

I know this is more or less available on TOS, and  Ivolatility.com also provides this for free (just type in the symbol) but, I cannot find anyplace that provides the same charts for  commodity futures underlying's (Gold, Sugar, Soybeans etc.).

Does anyone know where I can find this data so that I can, at least visually, see where the IV of a commodity has been over time?

To clarify what Kim is saying you can't actually get IV for the pure futures contract itself (e.g., GC, ZS, SB), etc. However, you can access the IV for many of these products via their proxy GLD, SOYA (there is no ETF for Sugar sadly) and you could get this info from ONE. You can also use an indicator in TOS that tracks something like IV rank (which is typically the instruments relative IV in relation to itself over a period of time such as a year). Pretty much most of the futures have an ETF other than the softs such as the following:

ES, TF, any index - SPY, RUT, etc.

CL, NG - USO, UNG

6E, 6F - FXE, FXF

GC, SI - GLD, SLV

ZC,  ZS - CORN, SOYA

ZB - TBT

Guest David

Yes..That is what I have been doing for a lack of anything else. Looking at a chart of GLD, for example, in TOS, with the sub-graph of it's IV.

Even though I do my trades through Interactive Brokers. You have to , especially  when you are doing multi-legged strategies, just for the commission factor!

But, I think I found the place that has this information for the "real" futures options IV history.

I'm sure most of you know Ivolatility .com ....their "Advanced Futures Options" shows these graphs with a line of the "mean" running through it.

You can see where, for example, Sugar's IV has been going back at least 1 year, maybe more, just to give you a picture of where we are trading relative to it's own "mean".

It is the only place I have found, so far, that provides this. It is pretty inexpensive...like $14.95/month.

They told me that they have an ever better tool for this but I forgot which one it is.

Guest David

Hi Kim, (or anyone else)

Is this the software that you are referring to?

http://www.optionnetexplorer.com/Explorer.aspx

Do you highly recommend it?

Is their  historical (options) data good?

...and I CAN get the IV history of commodities, futures options?

What a great time to subscribe since they ask to be paid in British Pounds!

Guest David

Never mind! Sorry, I didn't yet see your thread all about ONE Software when I asked the question above.