SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

texanko

Getting fills and Negotiating Commissions

I trade with a larger account than the $10k example account Kim uses. When we trade options that have a low entry price <$1.50, I trade quite a large amount of contracts. The last 3 times (TSLA, GOOG twice) I'll only get a partial fill, like 2 out of 50 contracts. I usually set up trades as GTC, so there are times the rest will fill a day later, but most of the time I'll have to bump the entry price to get a fill for the remainder.

Is there something I can do about this? I don't seem to have the option to do "all or none" on options contracts, which I'm not sure I'd want to do anyway.

Also, I use Optionsexpress and was able to negotiate my commissions down quite a bit (about 30%). It's worth a shot, esp if you trade a high volume, not necessarily the # of contracts per trade, but total # of contracts in a given week.

Thanks!

Edited by texanko

One trick that Kim has mentioned is that sometimes if you submit an order and it immediately gets a partial fill, it's worth it to try pausing the order execution (sorry, don't know how this can be done in OptionsExpress), then reactivating it, waiting a few seconds in between each step.  I don't know why this works, but it does (obviously not every time).  I have success doing this maybe once a month, most recently this week with the GOOG trade.  Like you, though, on one of the GOOG legs I only had 1 contract filled.

With IBKR, I can submit option combo orders as all or none, but I've never used that option as I think it would significantly reduce fill %.  I try not to let partial fills bother too much so long as I get a good price.  Annoyingly, they're just a part of life when you're following the methods promoted here.