SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

(DISCUSSION) SPY July 2012 straddle

52 posts in this topic

I got out of the 136 straddle with a 0.4% loss, not bad considering that I did a very dumb thing in the process. I'll provide a cautionary tale in case there is anyone out there equally capable of experiencing badly timed brain farts.

IBy the time I saw the alert, the 135 straddle was overpriced, so I waited until the 136 was available for 3.61. Nothing good happened, so when Kim bought the 134/136 to convert to a RIC, I (being temporarily brain dead) followed suite, forgetting that he was in at a different strike than me. So what I ended up with was a long 136 put, short 134 put spread. Fortunately the market helped me out today and I got very close to breakeven. Could have been disastrous on other circumstances, though.

So, take the time to think things through, don't feel rushed near close, and really LOOK at you trade ticket to see what happens if you click "Transmit". (This is why I still have the "Preview" show up for all trades.)

There is my dirty laundry for the day!