SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

Kim

What Is The Best Options Strategy?

I'm often asked by novice options traders what is the best options strategy. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but there is no such thing "the best options strategy". Each strategy has its pros and cons. Each strategy will work the best under certain market conditions, and no strategy will work under all market conditions.

One of the first things you need to decide before placing your first trade is: do I want to bet on direction (bullish/bearish) or I want to be able to make money regardless of market direction? In the first case, you have the choice of the following major strategies:

Click here to view the article

Here is a scenario .

MU stock went up from $13 to $30 in year 2014. So basically doubled or 100% return. So investment of $13000  turned into $30000 with only 1 transaction cost of $15 to buy and sell .

Now looking to trade options. What kind of option strategy would you adopt to chase MU from 13 to 30 and attempt to either make 100% or with options leverage of 1:100 make a 10000% return ?

What I mean is we dont typically buy the same $ amount of options. We spend mostly 10% of stock price.

So say you decide to chase MU with say $1300  investment and try to make $17K  ( $30K-$13K of stock investor gains)  at the end of the runup.

Is it possible to do it ? and what kind of strategy would you adopt ?

Well, if you knew in advance that the stock will double, you would buy OTM options expiring in one year and bank few hundred percent gain. But this is hindsight. And this is exactly the issue: you know what is the best strategy only in hindsight. 

If you knew that the markets will be moving sideways, you would trade only iron condors, wouldn't you? If you knew about 2008 crash in advance, you would buy puts, right? if you knew that NFLX will be up 18% after the last earnings, you would be OTM calls. But you don't. So you trade based on probabilities and your best knowledge.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kim
      Whoever says that a certain strategy will work all the time is misleading you. Continue reading for more options trading advice.

One of the first things you need to decide before placing your first trade is: do I want to bet on direction (bullish/bearish) or I want to be able to make money regardless of market direction? In the first case, you have the choice of the following major strategies:

Bullish strategies:
      Long call Bull call spread Bull put spread Covered call Naked put  
      Bearish strategies:
      Long put Bear put spread Bear call spread  
      Non-directional strategies:
      Iron condor Long straddle Short straddle Long strangle Short strangle Iron butterfly Calendar spread  
      Again, each strategy has its pros and cons. For example, when IV (Implied Volatility) is high, you would prefer to use Iron condor. When IV is low, calendar spread might be preferable.

Even within the same strategy, you can change the P/L chart by selecting different strikes, expiration etc. For example, Iron condor doesn't have to have lousy risk/reward. You can select strikes closer to the underlying price and improve your risk/reward. By doing that, you also decrease your probability of success. You have to select one of them - you cannot have both, as I showed in my article Risk Reward Or Probability Of Success?

The following infographics might help you to understand the basics of options trading and few basic options strategies:
      Understanding Option Trading Options Strategies: An Introduction  
      You can read the following articles to understand few basic strategies we use at SteadyOptions:
      How we trade straddles and strangles How we trade calendar spreads  
      Management is What Matters, Not the Strategy

The bottom line is that no single trading strategy is perfect and no strategy will work all the time. To paraphrase a famous quote, "it's not the strategy that matters, it's how you use it".

Nevertheless, there are some "gurus" out there who claim that the strategy they use is the only one that can be profitable and all other strategies are "crap". For example, as many of you know, tastytrade advocate a strategy based on selling Options using Implied Volatility Rank as a guideline. They conduct a lot of studies supporting their theory. In one of my previous articles I described a study done by tastytrade, claiming that buying premium before earnings does not work. I demonstrated that their study was highly flawed, for several reasons (strikes selection, stocks selection, timing etc.).

Quoting a trader I respect very much:

They (tastytrade) will discredit any strategy you name. The only thing that works is selling options based on implied volatility rank above 50%. A newbie trader will tend to adhere to this options trading advice as the Bible, especially when heard from two market veterans of 2-3 decades and this is what I have a problem with. It discourages research, it discourages self-discovery and study on the individual rookie trader limiting their growth and potential and tying them to one system which in the end is no holy grail, just another vision for trading the markets. Where does this leave the thousands of very successful investors that have made fortunes over the years not selling Credit Spreads? Where does this leave the countless CTAs that have been able to ride monster futures' trends in the past whose returns have been properly audited and documented?

At SteadyOptions, we encourage open discussions about variety of strategies. Our strategies work for us, but you will never hear us saying that they are the only thing that works.

If you want to learn more how to use our profitable strategies and increase your odds:

Start Your Free Trial