SteadyOptions is an options trading forum where you can find solutions from top options traders. Join Us!

We’ve all been there… researching options strategies and unable to find the answers we’re looking for. SteadyOptions has your solution.

spurge0n

TWTR Short Call

I might be a little early to the party here, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

TWTR shares are tanking after earnings. So I'm opening a vertical bear call spread.

Sold the $45 call and bought the 47.50 call as a hedge for this Friday's expiration.

Total credit of .17.

Also, the market has been on an almost unstoppable run-up for quite some time. I think it has to take a breather eventually.

Finally, the Fed's meeting minutes might spook investors into selling, especially if there's language indicating that interest rates might go up soon. I can see that happening with the price of oil collapsing.

Lots of "ifs", but that's why it's called risk.

So, in retrospect, I did everything I could possibly do wrong with this trade:

1. I got in when the stock was near its low for the day.

2. I got spooked when the position moved against me unexpectedly.

3. I closed the short call when the stock was near its high for the day, maximizing my loss.

4. I didn't even give the position a day's worth of theta gains.

5. I held the long call hoping that the run-up would continue - it didn't.

6. I didn't believe in my initial assessment.

Another wrong to add to list.

When selling credit spreads, never let the loss grow more than the max twice the credit amount . So your stop should have been .34  instead of .40

Another idea is why not sell iron condor , so that you have more staying power than just one credit spread ? But that would open up to lot of discussions.

I typically avoid selling credit spreads or condors , but that is another high probability game with low reward.